Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Coolant revisited

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2017 | 07:19 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by randyb
Was thinking of my Jag when I wrote the post, the new Jag coolant is what you found and Jag has multiple coolants, so be careful which one you buy.
I use Motul for all of my fluids, but I include the Jag stuff in my recommendations when people ask me: OEM is ideal but difficult to get. Motul is closest to OEM. Jag's would be my fall-back if OEM and Motul isn't an option.

Disclosure since I sell the stuff: I signed up with Motul for engine oil and brake fluid. The fact that the coolant is so well aligned was entirely luck. Also got lucky with their gear oil since it's the closest to the BOT270A's specs that I've found, but far less expensive.

Old 04-16-2017 | 03:51 AM
jj525 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 4x4sche
Well, all I can say about that is: he is a comedian and I am a scientist.

Thank-you for welcoming me to the forum.
I have 7 cars, 2 Astons, with Evans waterless coolant. They are all used as drivers, no track time. I have never experienced any overheating including sitting in traffic on 100 degree days.

Evans has many advantages but may not be the best choice if your use puts lots of stress on the cooling system i.e. towing, track time.

BTW, Jay Leno has a very qualified, full time staff that looks after his cars.

Old 04-16-2017 | 07:47 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Has anyone added Water Wetter to the coolant? When I built a supercharged Corvette I used Water Wetter to the coolant to help reduce the temperature. It was recommended by the shop that did engine build and also by the supercharger manufacturer. It seemed to work because I never had any cooling problems even in our hot Florida summers.

Old 06-10-2020 | 09:42 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
I've found that Chevron Delo XLC has the same listed ingredients (and color!) as the Havoline and the Motul that both don't seem to be available any more. I use the same stuff in my Lotus so I bought 4 concentrated 1 gallon bottles on Amazon for $80 to cover both cars. So $20/gal, not too bad.

https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/S...&docFormat=PDF

Old 06-10-2020 | 10:04 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Nice find, thanks for the link.

Old 06-13-2020 | 05:41 PM
zzzamdb9 is infamous around these parts
Good info! This is full strength and needs to be diluted 50% right?

I'm currently using the Motul, any idea if we can mix the Chevron with Motul? Might be replacing some coolant hoses so may need to top up and don't know if I will have enough Motul left. How many miles/years are you all flushing your coolant? Thanks!

Old 06-13-2020 | 07:19 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by zzzamdb9
Good info! This is full strength and needs to be diluted 50% right?

I'm currently using the Motul, any idea if we can mix the Chevron with Motul? Might be replacing some coolant hoses so may need to top up and don't know if I will have enough Motul left. How many miles/years are you all flushing your coolant? Thanks!
You can buy the product in either pre-mixed or full concentration. Full concentration should be mixed with 50% distilled water. The Delo XLC has the same listed ingredients as the Motul Inugel Ultra, so if you're using that, there should be no problem.

Old 06-14-2020 | 08:14 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Aston recommends coolant drain/fill every 5 years.

Old 06-14-2020 | 09:01 PM
zzzamdb9 is infamous around these parts
Makes sense. It seems to only be for sale on ebay and Amazon. I only saw one version of the XLC on Amazon (seems like it's the full concentration version):

Amazon Amazon

Old 06-14-2020 | 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by zzzamdb9
Makes sense. It seems to only be for sale on ebay and Amazon. I only saw one version of the XLC on Amazon (seems like it's the full concentration version):

https://www.amazon.com/Delo-XLC-Anti.../dp/B073VZ5X89
That's the one I bought. It's actually not easy to find an OAT coolant with the same ingredients as the original so finding it on Amazon is a bit of good fortune.

Old 11-05-2020 | 05:47 PM
morasa is infamous around these parts
I have a hard time finding the OEM coolant Havoline OAT. and the (almost identical) substitution Motul Inugel Optimal Ultra (recommended by Redpants and others) seems to be discontinued.
Of all the alternatives the Chevron Delo XLC looks like the next best fit to me. Any know issues with using this coolant, mixed with 50% water for a complete flush for a 2014 Vantage V8?

Old 11-05-2020 | 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by morasa
I have a hard time finding the OEM coolant Havoline OAT. and the (almost identical) substitution Motul Inugel Optimal Ultra (recommended by Redpants and others) seems to be discontinued.
Of all the alternatives the Chevron Delo XLC looks like the next best fit to me. Any know issues with using this coolant, mixed with 50% water for a complete flush for a 2014 Vantage V8?
Same major ingredients, no issues.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.