Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Top troubles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 08:14 AM
Senatorblutarsky is infamous around these partsSenatorblutarsky is infamous around these parts
Angry Top troubles

I think I am cursed. I have a 2007 V8V roadster with top troubles. I have had the roof motor replaced two years ago, and last year had the roof control module replaced (special note: I had brought it to Miller Motor Cars in Stamford, and when I was checking out one of their yard jockeys hit my Aston with a Bentley SUV. Miller was great fixing it but it took a month).

Anyway, six months later the top was groaning and eventually stopped. I brought it to a repair shop specializing in European imports. They kept the car for a month, then told me they couldn't fix it and would send it to another repair shop that would have more experience.

The European shop didn't charge me for anything they had done and flat bedded the car to the other shop for free. Sounds magnanimous, right?

Anyway, shop 2 gets the car and calls me to let me know that the back window is broken. He researches and tells me it will be $9,000 to repair the top because he has to buy the whole canvas with the glass. Aston does not sell the glass on its own. Naturally, shop 1 swears he never even looked at the top.

Does anyone know of another way of fixing this without spending 9K?

Old 05-31-2017, 03:26 PM
Dustan is infamous around these parts
Top down nice weather car until you can find a good used top which sucks if you want to go somewhere overnight. Maybe you can submit to insurance if it happened in transit to the second shop. A deductible would be way better than throwing 9000 away.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:27 PM
Viper98912 has a spectacular aura aboutViper98912 has a spectacular aura about
Psh, it's a convertible. Who needs a top?

Old 06-01-2017, 07:39 AM
XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !
Well, we might be able to provide some useful advice, but need to know where you brought it first and who has it now. Don't want to end up sending you to the same places.

From my recollection the rear window is separately replaceable, but apparently not if you can't buy one. If you can buy a top with window for $3500, why is the shop telling you it'll be $9k to fix it? They must be doing a lot more work or they need a lot more parts to get your roof working.

Last edited by XJRS Owner; 06-01-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:10 AM
Timodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to behold
I have replaced roof glass in a DB9... but it was not a simple job. Had to remove all glue and stitching around the glass, the next stitch and glue the new glass in. The customers provided the glass- not sure where they acquired it, but it was a new piece. I will try and get ahold of him and find out.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:47 AM
randyb has a spectacular aura aboutrandyb has a spectacular aura aboutrandyb has a spectacular aura about
Yes, but it is not the ideal fix.

Have shop remove the window and take it to a window store, get them to get automotive glass and cut to fit. Friend of mine did this with his jag, you will lose the rear window defrost.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.