Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage Roadster Roof Operation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 07:48 AM
rocketboots999 is infamous around these parts
Vantage Roadster Roof Operation

I am still getting to know some of the quirks of my "new" car and trying to work out if they are just normal or a potential problem looming. Today's one.

When the roof is towards the end of its closing sequence, the front section is held up in the air for a while and then just drops with quite a thunk onto the top of the windshield frame, where it then latches OK. I didn't expect it to just drop on a quality car like this, more just quietly lower down. Is this normal?

As always, thanks for helping out a newbie.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:53 AM
jmargolese is infamous around these partsjmargolese is infamous around these parts
I have a 2008 roadster... mine does not thud down when it is completing the drop. Other than the top motor I hear nothing when putting the top down and it is smooth. Post a video, someone on the board might have an answer or you.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:47 AM
XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !
Sounds normal to me. The top front rail pauses several inches above the windshield header, then drops to latch. Now how much of a 'thud' it makes is subjective. I always think it is going to be stuck in the air, but then it closes.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:51 AM
Jagman70 is infamous around these parts
"When the roof is towards the end of its closing sequence, the front section is held up in the air for a while and then just drops with quite a thunk onto the top of the windshield frame, where it then latches OK. I didn't expect it to just drop on a quality car like this, more just quietly lower down. Is this normal?"

The top closing sequence on my 09 roadster sounds similar. The very front of the top momentarily hesitates closing down until the rear is fully in place. The front then drops, latches and the windows close. No loud clunks. No drama. Works fine.

As with other parts, it would not surprise me to learn that the convertible top mechanism comes from a Jaguar XK. Take a look at this YouTube video of the top operation on an XK. Works just like my Vantage top.

If your top opens and closes ok, I think your fine.

John

Old 10-21-2017, 10:04 AM
programmatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond repute
My 08 V8V used to make a "thud", too, when the top made contact with the windshield frame. I took it in to the dealership for some adjustments to fix the issue and replace a failed roof control module (ouch $$$).

Old 10-23-2017, 03:09 PM
VantageGT15 is infamous around these parts
First post! My 2015 Vantage GT also pauses just shy of closure, then releases with a bit of a thud. Supposedly normal.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:06 PM
tranceatlantic is infamous around these parts
I watched the video of the jag roof in motion and it does look suspiciously similar to the Vantage roof in operation. When the roof comes close to the fully closed position it pauses like in the video. However, I think that on my 2007 V8V it wobbles or flexes slightly as it comes to the pause and that causes the top to bounce just a little and lightly slap the windscreen frame. It's never concerned me and now that I think about it I'm sure it is normal for a 10 year old car.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:03 AM
krakle is infamous around these parts
I have an 08 Vantage Roadster. When I first got the car there was a thud when closing. I took it to the dealer and they said it was normal. When my CRM module failed I replaced it and had the tech readjust positioning of everything to see if I could decrease the thud. It didn't make much of a difference. The tech then showed me operation of another Vantage roadster and it made a thud. This seems to be common and not a big deal. Hard to accept though

Old 10-24-2017, 11:11 AM
rocketboots999 is infamous around these parts
Thanks all. The car is going in to an AM dealer for some warranty work, so I have asked them to take a look at it and tell me if it is normal.

I have come to this car from an MB SL550 with a metal retractable roof that operated in a very composed manner.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:57 PM
programmatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by krakle
I have an 08 Vantage Roadster. When I first got the car there was a thud when closing. I took it to the dealer and they said it was normal. When my CRM module failed I replaced it and had the tech readjust positioning of everything to see if I could decrease the thud. It didn't make much of a difference. The tech then showed me operation of another Vantage roadster and it made a thud. This seems to be common and not a big deal. Hard to accept though
Here's a short video clip of my 2008 V8V's roof latching. Notice the lack of the "thud". The latch used to bounce off the windshield frame when it "stopped short" before latching. But after I took it in to Aston Martin of Washington, DC to get the control module replaced and the top adjusted, the latch no longer hits the windshield frame when it stops and then latches on normally,

Old 10-25-2017, 01:48 PM
VantageGT15 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by programmatore
Here's a short video clip of my 2008 V8V's roof latching. Notice the lack of the "thud". The latch used to bounce off the windshield frame when it "stopped short" before latching. But after I took it in to Aston Martin of Washington, DC to get the control module replaced and the top adjusted, the latch no longer hits the windshield frame when it stops and then latches on normally,

https://youtu.be/RqRNffBffR8
That's exactly how mine is.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:22 PM
krakle is infamous around these parts
To me that is the thud... it's not a soft he take close like most vehicles.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:13 PM
porkchopious is infamous around these parts
My 2009 Vantage roadster's top does the same thing, last bit of closing travel exhibits a pause and then drops onto the top of the windshield frame with a bang. I cushion the drop by holding the front of the header rail of the top with my hand so it doesn't hit the windshield frame when I close the top.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by krakle
To me that is the thud... it's not a soft he take close like most vehicles.
Keep in mind that this was in my closed garage so the sound is a bit amplified. Closing the roof outside you definitely hear the motor whirring -- especially when the tonneau cover is closing -- but the "thud" is not that loud. Definitely much better than the metal-on-metal bang it made before the AM tech made the adjustments.

Originally Posted by porkchopious
My 2009 Vantage roadster's top does the same thing, last bit of closing travel exhibits a pause and then drops onto the top of the windshield frame with a bang. I cushion the drop by holding the front of the header rail of the top with my hand so it doesn't hit the windshield frame when I close the top.
Yeah, the metal-on-metal bang was disconcerting. Funny thing is, I drove 2 other Vantage Roadsters that made the same noise so I thought it was normal and just something I had to live with. After the AM tech made the adjustments, the forward part of the top still drops but now stops short of hitting the windshield frame. No more "bang" but I guess there is still a slight "thud".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.