Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2007 DB9 Volante - should I?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 04:55 AM
MattAu is infamous around these parts
2007 DB9 Volante - should I?

I am looking at a 2007 DB9 Volante, it has 40,000 miles. What should I be looking out for? Are the transmission cooler lines problem resolved? How reliable are DB9? I am coming from a Porsche 997 and it has been just oil, tires and brakes.

Thanks in advance

Old 05-11-2018, 08:46 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
If the transmission hoses have been updated/changed your okay. You may want to look into a Vantage I thinks it's more like your current car in terms of service, driveability and build.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:42 PM
yvr
yvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond repute
You should expect to replace the coilpacks within the next 10K miles if they haven't already been done -- that's when most seem to start failing. Fairly expensive (~$5-6K CAD). AFAIK transmission cooler issues only affected 2005/2006.

I've had my 2006 for almost 7 years now (49K miles at the moment). Only surprises have been a window regulator (~$1K) and a wheel bearing ($500ish).

Old 05-12-2018, 05:32 AM
Originally Posted by yvr
You should expect to replace the coilpacks within the next 10K miles if they haven't already been done -- that's when most seem to start failing. Fairly expensive (~$5-6K CAD). AFAIK transmission cooler issues only affected 2005/2006.

I've had my 2006 for almost 7 years now (49K miles at the moment). Only surprises have been a window regulator (~$1K) and a wheel bearing ($500ish).
That's encouraging! How many kms do you put on a year? I am only driving my Porsche about 3,000 km a year and expect the same kind of driving on the DB9 if I were to get one.

I see you are in Vancouver, do you take yours to the dealer for the annual service? If so, how much does it cost?

Thanks again for answering.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:24 PM
yvr
yvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond repute
It's my 'everyday car' but I only drive about 4,000 miles (6,500km) a year. It usually stays in the garage December through February.

I do use my local dealer for the annual service, though I tend to replace filters, wiper blades, brake pads/discs myself (a set of pads installed on all 4 corners at the dealer is about $3K vs. $1K if I do it myself). Parts prices at my dealer are really high.

Annual service cost is between $1,000 and $1,500 depending on the maintenance schedule.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:08 AM
So the car has extensive and complete service record from the Toronto dealer. But... the convertible top has had issues since day 1 (literally during PDI) and the problem comes up practically every year or so. And same with the Linn radio.

To add insult to injury, there was a $6k "Check Engine Light" repair last April and a $1.5k "Warning Lights" repair in 2015.

Dealer willing to repair the convertible roof issue once I have pointed it out, but not willing to tell me what the $6k and $1.5k repairs were for.

I think I will pass. Thanks guys for the response. I will just stick with my 997 S cab for now. Still love it.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:59 PM
Vantage007 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MattAu
So the car has extensive and complete service record from the Toronto dealer. But... the convertible top has had issues since day 1 (literally during PDI) and the problem comes up practically every year or so. And same with the Linn radio.

To add insult to injury, there was a $6k "Check Engine Light" repair last April and a $1.5k "Warning Lights" repair in 2015.

Dealer willing to repair the convertible roof issue once I have pointed it out, but not willing to tell me what the $6k and $1.5k repairs were for.

I think I will pass. Thanks guys for the response. I will just stick with my 997 S cab for now. Still love it.
Sounds like a solid decision. If you really want into an AM just take your time and find the right one (that isn't going to turn into a money pit and a regret).
Kind of odd that they are not willing to share what the repair was for, that a pretty solid red flag.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:58 AM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
I agree with your decision. It seems like some individual Astons are super reliable while others are constant heartaches - regardless of the model type.

Don't give up on the Gen 1 DB9 Volante. My 2006 is approaching 50,000 miles and it's been as reliable as anything I've ever owned, foreign or domestic. Even the "big" Linn system still works perfectly (and sounds great, too), though I installed an add-on Bluetooth system. The only issues have been the legendary Convertible Roof Module and the coil packs. I did both jobs myself, although the CRM needed to be flashed by a dealer for the right calibration.

I still become happy every time I drive the car. It's still gorgeous both outside and in, and a 450-bhp V12 is still enough for most situations. So many other drivers look at the car with respect and affection, and they don't treat you like they suspect you have something to prove.

To me, having a good Gen 1 DB9 is like being happily married. Yeah, it's not the flavor of the month, but you'll swear that it loves you back!

Last edited by zuman; 05-26-2018 at 12:02 PM.