Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Broken radiator and disintegrating fans

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 05:08 AM
jf.houde is infamous around these parts
I layed the two module on a table, cut the wires (two big and two smalls) that goes to the car harness at 6 inches from the BTM.

I skinned the two big wires for about an inch and split the hairs in two groups, one group twisted toward the module and the other twosted together toward the harness. For the two big wires I used shrink tube over each connection, electrical tape, loom and electrical tape to isolate them individually. and then used a bigger loom over them to clip it to the rad shroud.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:35 PM
Registered PM
kaj750 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BMW-North
Glad it worked out. When I've done BMW fans different control wire lengths can be an issue (depending on the specifics of the vehicle make used as a substitute ) Sometimes they were too long other times a half inch too short. Curious how you lengthened the wire if these were too short. The wires on BMW fans are a heavy gauge that support 40 amps. Not easy to splice/solder and I'm not one for butt connectors. Moisture sealing is paramount for fan control wiring as any added resistance from wiring corrosion can modify the PWM signal interpretation (requested fan speed). When lengthening I've used marettes, then filled them with RTV then adequately taped to seal out moisture.

I just ordered the new version of this Ford based fan controller to see if it's feasible to swap into my Aston. It was only $22 USD.

Fan Control Module for Land Rover, Volvo, Ford & Jaguar
Bringing this back from the dead... any conformation of this working? My module has the large power and ground wires going in, then also two smaller wires (I assume from ECU, etc?). The module above doesn't have a plug for the smaller wires.

Last edited by kaj750; 05-09-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:06 PM
Jano4 has a spectacular aura aboutJano4 has a spectacular aura aboutJano4 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by kaj750
Bringing this back from the dead... any conformation of this working? My module has the large power and ground wires going in, then also two smaller wires (I assume from ECU, etc?). The ECU above doesn't have a plug for the smaller wires.
Agreed that this would be helpful as I foresee the old/original units starting to fail as time goes on.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:52 PM
sambagis is infamous around these parts
The condenser for the Vantage is a Jaguar part - made by Visteon.
Any chance you have a part number cross over to find a jag part that might be cheaper than the Aston part number? Similar to the deal with the radiator. I need a new condenser and dont like the 500 price tag of the aston part.
Thanks.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:36 AM
oo7
oo7 is infamous around these partsoo7 is infamous around these parts
Jaguar XKR 2005 works Terr's Jaguar Ohio

Old 07-31-2020, 12:14 AM
Registered PM
kaj750 is infamous around these parts
I upgraded. No more failed plastic parts

Old 09-15-2020, 01:33 PM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
This link has been a HUGE help. My controller went bad and the fans basically run on high speed all the time and not in sync. I'll be getting the jag part. Cheers!

Old 01-29-2021, 07:02 PM
ipassgas is infamous around these parts
I'm glad I found this thread

I just discovered (on my own) half the info here. I cam to post my findings, but you guys are 3 steps ahead.

On thing I found, if you have plastic problems, the end caps are available individually!
As of today, $38 each.

I'll get this car on the road, eventually.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-03-2023 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:17 PM
acole is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ipassgas
I just discovered (on my own) half the info here. I cam to post my findings, but you guys are 3 steps ahead.

On thing I found, if you have plastic problems, the end caps are available individually!
As of today, $38 each.

I'll get this car on the road, eventually.
just a heads up for anyone else trying to purchase these, they didn’t fit my 2009 V8V roadster, they were very similar but about an inch too wide and the hoses didn’t use the quick disconnect fittings. Not sure if they work for earlier years or not.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-03-2023 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-03-2023, 08:19 PM
AttomoZ is infamous around these parts
Glad it worked out. When I've done BMW fans different control wire lengths can be an issue (depending on the specifics of the vehicle make used as a substitute ) Sometimes they were too long other times a half inch too short. Curious how you lengthened the wire if these were too short. The wires on BMW fans are a heavy gauge that support 40 amps. Not easy to splice/solder and I'm not one for butt connectors. Moisture sealing is paramount for fan control wiring as any added resistance from wiring corrosion can modify the PWM signal interpretation (requested fan speed). When lengthening I've used marettes, then filled them with RTV then adequately taped to seal out moisture.

I just ordered the new version of this Ford based fan controller to see if it's feasible to swap into my Aston. It was only $22 USD.

Fan Control Module for Land Rover, Volvo, Ford & Jaguar
Hi BMW-North! Got to say, you are one of the reasons why I was comfortable with getting an AM - you make servicing these cars seem like such an entertaining art! I know this post is old, but did you get around to trying this ECU replacement? I am a recent owner of a 2007 DB9 Volante and the radiator cooling fan + ECU had P0480 and P0483 error codes. I have been looking at getting a new set of Range Rover/Jaguar fan+ECU replacement and it seems the ECU is exactly the one you have posted (at least aesthetically).

Have you tried installing the fan controller you quoted from before? It seems like from your posts and other users in this thread that the fans and ECU from Jaguar are easily plug and play. Thanks a lot for your contribution!!!

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-03-2023 at 08:39 PM.