Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Key Fob Programming

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2022 | 04:45 PM
Captain Cove is infamous around these parts
Kamrooz, did you try to get the error code from the module with ThinkDiag? There’s one module on the body side and one with the engine side (probably the ECU itself, not sure it’s been a while).

It’s odd the old key stopped working, which one gives the error? Did you use the pill learning procedure on the new key?

Old 04-20-2022 | 08:44 PM
Art G is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Kamrooz Karimi
Thank you for your time

all slot was full and I checked only one is registered to the old key and I delete 3 of them and add one !

When new key on have this error
Been playing with this for last week.
You have the same issue I do. Basically with ThinkDiag we are able to register a new FOB, but only the FOB part. So the buttons will work.
To register a new Transponder Chip (part that actually starts the car) you would need to either:
a. have 2 working keys that start your car and do the 3-key method (untested by me yet), or
b. take it to the dealer

That is my conclusion so far. Since I do not have a single working key, I ended up purchasing 2 new keys second hand and will tow the car to the local AM dealer to get them programmed.
Hope that helps
- Art

Old 05-08-2022 | 01:23 AM
a102768 is infamous around these parts
After a false start because the first ThinkDiag got lost in the post, I finally got around to trying to add a Volvo fob to my '11 Virage this weekend. The software and ThinkDiag seem fine as I can add and remove the fob to a spare slot but the fob buttons don't actually do anything once programmed and they aren't being detected as being pushed in the ThinkDiag fob checker.

The fob is the right frequency for my car, I have checked and double checked that I am putting the seed code in correctly and the fob battery reads 3.2 volts.

The fob is brand new and was sourced from Wikingerparts, but I can only assume that either the fob/seed codes are wrong or the fob is faulty. Has anyone else come across this?

Old 05-08-2022 | 04:02 AM
61mga is infamous around these parts
all i can add is that i disassembled my fob once, to the point that all those plastic buttons (2007 vantage BTW, so may not be applicable) fell out and upon re-assembly never got the buttons to work again. ...ended up doing without the fob (aka remote) on THAT set of keys. smh.

Old 05-08-2022 | 09:10 AM
Art G is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by a102768
After a false start because the first ThinkDiag got lost in the post, I finally got around to trying to add a Volvo fob to my '11 Virage this weekend. The software and ThinkDiag seem fine as I can add and remove the fob to a spare slot but the fob buttons don't actually do anything once programmed and they aren't being detected as being pushed in the ThinkDiag fob checker.

The fob is the right frequency for my car, I have checked and double checked that I am putting the seed code in correctly and the fob battery reads 3.2 volts.

The fob is brand new and was sourced from Wikingerparts, but I can only assume that either the fob/seed codes are wrong or the fob is faulty. Has anyone else come across this?
Mine also was not registering on ThinkDiag when I was pressing the buttons, but they worked.
same frequency as your previous keys?

Only other thing it may be is your battery got dislodged during assembly? Makes no sense that it would not work as when I did it on my 2013 db9 with an Android…worked from first try. Did you purchase the correct part number fob?

Old 05-08-2022 | 01:23 PM
Kamrooz Karimi is infamous around these parts
I can't register my Keyfob too
just door lock and unlock works
try with android and iOS also
Finally transfer transmitter from old key fob to new one to have start the car ! 😑

Old 05-09-2022 | 02:43 AM
Originally Posted by 61mga
all i can add is that i disassembled my fob once, to the point that all those plastic buttons (2007 vantage BTW, so may not be applicable) fell out and upon re-assembly never got the buttons to work again. ...ended up doing without the fob (aka remote) on THAT set of keys. smh.
Thanks for the suggestion. If you think the plastic ones are fiddly you should try the ones in the crystal key!

Originally Posted by Art G
Mine also was not registering on ThinkDiag when I was pressing the buttons, but they worked.
same frequency as your previous keys?

Only other thing it may be is your battery got dislodged during assembly? Makes no sense that it would not work as when I did it on my 2013 db9 with an Android…worked from first try. Did you purchase the correct part number fob?
ThinkDiag doesn't detect the buttons being pressed and they also don't work on the car.

I bought the fob recommended to me further up this thread (30772194 ) so assume it is correct. It says that it uses 433Mhz which is the same frequency as my car.

I have also double checked the battery and made sure the the connectors haven't been bent but beyond that there is no way to test that it actually does something when I press a button.

Old 05-09-2022 | 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by Kamrooz Karimi
I can't register my Keyfob too
just door lock and unlock works
try with android and iOS also
The ThinkDiag is only able to get the buttons working so what you experienced is normal.

Old 05-09-2022 | 03:01 AM
chrzesm is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the suggestion. If you think the plastic ones are fiddly you should try the ones in the crystal key!

ThinkDiag doesn't detect the buttons being pressed and they also don't work on the car.

I bought the fob recommended to me further up this thread (30772194 ) so assume it is correct. It says that it uses 433Mhz which is the same frequency as my car.

I have also double checked the battery and made sure the the connectors haven't been bent but beyond that there is no way to test that it actually does something when I press a button.
Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Have you double checked the key code sequence entered to thinkdiag? Try to remove the previous entered record and program the key again making sure the key code entered is as per the attached label. Good luck!

Old 05-09-2022 | 03:25 AM
Originally Posted by chrzesm
Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Have you double checked the key code sequence entered to thinkdiag? Try to remove the previous entered record and program the key again making sure the key code entered is as per the attached label. Good luck!
Be careful in making sure you remove a right unused key record from the list, otherwise you can loose your other registered keys.

Old 05-09-2022 | 03:32 AM
Thanks, unfortunately I have already. I inserted and deleted it a few times, tried three different spare slots and also scanned the QR code on the label to get the codes in textual format to make sure I wasn't mistyping or misreading it. I even got my wife to double check it!

Be careful in making sure you remove a right unused key record from the list, otherwise you can loose your other registered keys.
I was worried about that as I only have one working fob so pressed the buttons on that to make sure I knew which one it was first! There is another one registered which I assume is the original plastic one.

I do have another crystal key but that only starts the car so I was hoping to program the Volvo key then transfer the circuit board to that to get another complete working one.

Old 05-09-2022 | 04:20 AM
Did you try other CR2032 battery? It seems the key dos not send messages.

Old 05-09-2022 | 10:07 AM
Kamrooz Karimi is infamous around these parts
The ThinkDiag is only able to get the buttons working so what you experienced is normal.

Thanks for reply

Old 05-09-2022 | 06:04 PM
Did you try other CR2032 battery? It seems the key dos not send messages.
No, I put it back together when the existing battery tested OK but there is no harm trying as I have pretty much run out of other options.

Old 05-10-2022 | 02:28 AM
No joy with a new battery so my next job is to see if I can find somewhere that can confirm that it sends out a signal when a button is pressed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Key Fob Programming