Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Key Fob Programming

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2019 | 08:25 PM
|
Carguy54 is infamous around these parts
Key Fob Programming

Is there a way one can re-program the key fob without going to the dealer if they have the key code???

Old 07-26-2019 | 01:07 AM
chrzesm is infamous around these parts
For immobiliser yes, however you need 2 original keys. For door opening no, you need to go to a dealer. In order to program a new immo key, you need to insert 2 original keys into the starter slot (one after the other) and then insert the 3rd one to be programmed. The 3rd key should be programmed (active) automatically. Max 5 keys can be active for a car.

Old 07-26-2019 | 07:15 AM
|
Well the car only came with 2 regular keys, One Glass, One Plastic and the metal key that fits in the door keyhole. ( 2014 DB9 ) So it's the plastic key fob I have that gives me an error. It will turn on the gauges when inserted, but won't start the car. Nor will it lock/unlock the doors. It's like it can't find the programming?? I was hoping there was a way to re-program this without the assistance of a dealer. Here in Ohio, there is only ONE Aston Martin dealer in the whole state, and they are 4 hours away!! I was just looking for alternatives. Are you able to insert both keys then reinsert the 2nd key again??

Old 07-26-2019 | 09:17 AM
Did the plastic key ever work with your car before? It seems it is a replacement from other car and has never been programmed (both immobilizer and doors) for your car. Do you have a security code for the key? If not, your dealer will not be able to program and you will need to buy a new key :-(.

No, you cannot insert both keys at once. In order to program 3rd immobilizer key, you need to plug 2 already original (ie active) keys in sequence: 1st key in/out, then 2nd in/out and when you insert the 3rd key, it will be activated by your car.

Old 07-26-2019 | 09:26 AM
|
I don't know if the plastic key worked or not. It is supposed to be the 2nd key. I know you can't insert both keys at once, what I was saying is: can I insert the 2nd key, ( the plastic one ) remove it, then reinsert it again as this would be the 3rd time a key is inserted ? And Yes I have the key code. SO do the cars automatically come with 3 keys plus the metal key? If so, I got screwed out of one!!!

Old 07-26-2019 | 09:33 AM
No, your car needs 2 registered (active) keys to be inserted. This way the car checks if this is an owner trying to register the 3rd immo key. Usually owner should have 2 active keys. If not, then only a dealer can help, checking ownership title first. Good you have a security code, so you will not need to spent $$$ on a new key.

Old 06-21-2021 | 12:25 PM
Soopie3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by chrzesm
Did the plastic key ever work with your car before? It seems it is a replacement from other car and has never been programmed (both immobilizer and doors) for your car. Do you have a security code for the key? If not, your dealer will not be able to program and you will need to buy a new key :-(.

No, you cannot insert both keys at once. In order to program 3rd immobilizer key, you need to plug 2 already original (ie active) keys in sequence: 1st key in/out, then 2nd in/out and when you insert the 3rd key, it will be activated by your car.
1. If I have both keys and they are working can I insert a 3rd key for programing that is used? Like one purchased on eBay.
2. Will this newly programed key unlock the doors?
3. Where can you find the security code for the key?

Old 06-22-2021 | 01:51 AM
1. Yes, you can do that.
2. No, the procedure from point 1 works only to start-up the engine from new 3rd key (immo)
3. The code should be seen on key's blister (there is a sticker with the code)

Old 07-04-2021 | 11:25 AM
slkret123 is infamous around these parts
chrzesm
I just took delivery of a new to me 2007 V8V. I got 2 metal keys and only 1 5 button fob. The fob works and the key attached to the fob also works. Key 2 does not work. I put it in the key opening and turn it until it stops. When I push the start button nothing happens. I read above that I need a key code to get a key programmed but I do not know what a key blister is.

Also, what is necessary to get another fob and get it programmed?
Steve

Old 07-04-2021 | 03:35 PM
There are two different security systems working independently. 1. Immobilizer with a small transponder inside the key, 2. Door lock/unlock with radio transmitter inside the fob. Regarding point 1, if you do not have 2nd working key (ie a key enabling to start your engine, not just opening your doors), you need a dealer’s tool to program a new key. Regarding point 2 – to add a new working fob you need a) dealer’s tool and b) key code number required to register a new key into your car. The key code is usually printed on a label on plastic case – see picture. The key code is a unique code attached to a particular key. If you do not have the key code, your dealer will not add the key to your car.

Old 07-04-2021 | 03:53 PM
slkret123 is infamous around these parts
Ok, I'm still confused about what I need to do at the dealer to get a working 2nd metal key and an operating second fob given I don't have a code sticker. Is this a multi thousand dollar problem?
Steve

Old 07-05-2021 | 04:59 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Why don't you just call the dealer and asked them how much for a second set of keys (Key + Fob) for your 2007 Vantage, you will have the answer you want.

Old 01-13-2022 | 11:16 PM
Kamrooz Karimi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by chrzesm
There are two different security systems working independently. 1. Immobilizer with a small transponder inside the key, 2. Door lock/unlock with radio transmitter inside the fob. Regarding point 1, if you do not have 2nd working key (ie a key enabling to start your engine, not just opening your doors), you need a dealer’s tool to program a new key. Regarding point 2 – to add a new working fob you need a) dealer’s tool and b) key code number required to register a new key into your car. The key code is usually printed on a label on plastic case – see picture. The key code is a unique code attached to a particular key. If you do not have the key code, your dealer will not add the key to your car.
Thank you
I try add new key with this method but still receive error

using the thinkdiag

Old 01-15-2022 | 09:25 AM
Ashman_E has a spectacular aura aboutAshman_E has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Kamrooz Karimi
try add new key with this method but still receive error using the thinkdiag
If you're using the iOS version of the ThinkDiag software, then I never did get this to work on my car.

However, when I switched to Android, it worked just fine.

My car is a '09 V8V, and I successfully programmed a new crystal key with codes using the ThinkDiag for the "Fob" portion and two existing keys for the "Key" portion.

Old 01-15-2022 | 10:54 PM
Ale_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by slkret123
Ok, I'm still confused about what I need to do at the dealer to get a working 2nd metal key and an operating second fob given I don't have a code sticker. Is this a multi thousand dollar problem?
Steve
For mine (restyling, so ECU key) the plastic valet key plus the metal emergency key, coded the first and cut the second was -in total- just below 1.000 eur.
I can imagine a little bit less for the older version. If I recall right the programming was 1h labour charged.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Key Fob Programming