Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin 2011 V8 vantage navigation screen upgrade

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-17-2020 | 01:33 AM
madgadget is infamous around these parts
Nice...nice ....I like that idea a lot, makes even more sense. You're right about the OEM radio etc, the buttons do control the MOST adapter, but they do not control the cartizan system, that being said, of course, once you have that in, you'll find it's far nicer to use and much easier to see everything, although if you want to use the radio, yes, you have to switch back to just the MOST adapter.

Can't wait to hear how you get on, very interested to see if you get the original screen coming through the Cartizan video input. I've used the reversing camera input for, well, a reversing camera (of course), so I have my video input free, so it would be great to hear how you get on.

Any problems, just let us know ..

Old 01-26-2021 | 03:35 AM
leman600 is infamous around these parts
Very interesting thread indeed. Its been a big help in what I have done already so thank you to the main contributors in particular. I would just wonder since the time has lapsed since first conception is there any advice on the screen brightness resolution compared to the standard unit. I have got screen mirroring and cameras all working well and relatively happy with the result but wonder if the screen upgrade on reflection is worth the invasion. BTW I want you to say yes but appreciate experienced input.
Is there an RGB Sinverter off the shelf now and are any updated screens, since this was performed, now available?
Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Old 01-26-2021 | 10:11 AM
|
Jenninaj is infamous around these parts
Re: screen brightness. The unit I have is not as bright as the OEM unit but with the glare screen in place it's actually more usable in more conditions. Direct sunlight is still an issue but that was true of the old unit. The only reason I think I notice it now is that I never used the old screen for much ;-)

The setup in my car is exactly what I put into the how-to I posted last year. Nothing has failed and everything does what I want it to do. As the original purpose was to put in the features I wanted, not destroy the original functionality, still access the original sat nav if desired, and have all alerts/music/etc come through the standard audio with interruptions if necessary then it meets all my needs. Of course YMMV, no pun intended.

Old 01-26-2021 | 11:22 AM
Thank you Jenninaj for your swift response. Your initial aims must tick many an owners box especially the ability to revert without leaving damage.
Is the replacement screen resolution noticably superior aiding in particular mapping text? I ask because the original screen with mirroring is better than I feared and is borderline good enough. (but obviously would like better, if noticeably so)

Old 01-26-2021 | 01:00 PM
|
Originally Posted by leman600
Thank you Jenninaj for your swift response. Your initial aims must tick many an owners box especially the ability to revert without leaving damage.
Is the replacement screen resolution noticably superior aiding in particular mapping text? I ask because the original screen with mirroring is better than I feared and is borderline good enough. (but obviously would like better, if noticeably so)
To try and address your question, Leman600: Originally, I got one of the Naviks NK-200 units which uses the original screen. The resolution was pretty much unworkable for me when using maps - the text simply wasn't good enough clarity. This was the reason I bit the bullet and went with a replacement screen. As you might have seen from the how-to I posted, it's a lot of work to change the screen and I would not have gone down that road (no pun intended) unless I didn't think it was a necessity (for me).

Honestly, I'd have rather bought a larger format iPhone and stuck it to the dashboard than route my iphone through the factory screen using the Naviks box. The solution I came up with was the best I could conceive of at the time. Others on this thread have come up with excellent alternatives.

I'll let others weigh in on their experiences.

Good luck!

Old 01-26-2021 | 01:34 PM
I can completely relate to Jenninaj's comments on the old screen. The resolution, contrast and colour saturation was terrible and trying to put anything other than the original sat nav (bless it's heart) using the Navik's (I tried something from volvotech called a VBB4 which did the same thing) was a complete disaster.

This new screen is a revelation and I now find myself using the pop up screen and CarPlay more than I anticipated. The new screen is as good as any factory CarPlay unit I have seen or used and the fact that you 'can' switch it back, if you want, is perfect - which the AM tech guys at the service centre's were very impressed with.

The only criticism I can really say is that the contrast of the Apple Maps on CarPlay can get washed out when everything else looks perfect, although you can tweak the contrast using the remote if you want too. However, I now prefer a more substantial navigation app that works in CarPlay like Sygic, it look perfect and make it a pleasure to use.

That's one of the brilliant things about this conversion, you have HDMI in the car to plug anything in and with CarPlay, if you don't like one of the Apple apps, you can run something different, loads of fun !

I've since wired in both front and rear camera's using the CarPlay unit feed so that if the car is in reverse, the screen switches over automatically. The front camera is a manual switch over if I need it as I did not feel it should be automatic.

The old sat nav was the only thing I felt lacking in an otherwise perfect car. If you do this, you would not regret one minute of it, very satisfying once complete

Last edited by madgadget; 01-26-2021 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2021 | 02:25 PM
That's brilliant to hear guys and I can't thank you enough. Your effort in laying out all your work so professionally is truly very generous.

Old 01-26-2021 | 04:15 PM
|
Originally Posted by madgadget
I can completely relate to Jenninaj's comments on the old screen. The resolution, contrast and colour saturation was terrible and trying to put anything other than the original sat nav (bless it's heart) using the Navik's (I tried something from volvotech called a VBB4 which did the same thing) was a complete disaster.

This new screen is a revelation and I now find myself using the pop up screen and CarPlay more than I anticipated. The new screen is as good as any factory CarPlay unit I have seen or used and the fact that you 'can' switch it back, if you want, is perfect - which the AM tech guys at the service centre's were very impressed with.

The only criticism I can really say is that the contrast of the Apple Maps on CarPlay can get washed out when everything else looks perfect, although you can tweak the contrast using the remote if you want too. However, I now prefer a more substantial navigation app that works in CarPlay like Sygic, it look perfect and make it a pleasure to use.

That's one of the brilliant things about this conversion, you have HDMI in the car to plug anything in and with CarPlay, if you don't like one of the Apple apps, you can run something different, loads of fun !

I've since wired in both front and rear camera's using the CarPlay unit feed so that if the car is in reverse, the screen switches over automatically. The front camera is a manual switch over if I need it as I did not feel it should be automatic.

The old sat nav was the only thing I felt lacking in an otherwise perfect car. If you do this, you would not regret one minute of it, very satisfying once complete
Re: maps. The best solution I came up with was to force maps to 'night mode' all the time. It's enough contrast for the majority of the time (for me).

Old 01-26-2021 | 05:34 PM
Awdition is infamous around these parts
Ditto...dang...I’ve been putting this project off for nearly a year now....time to get the soldering iron warmed up!

Old 01-26-2021 | 05:42 PM
I never thought of night mode, duh! .... must try that one

Old 01-30-2021 | 10:07 AM
Thank you madgadget. Im underway using you guys ideas as I go. Quite a good lock down project indeed.
I see you come from Marcos country

Old 01-30-2021 | 04:28 PM
Hi Leman600,

Wow, just the other day I was on my way to Trowbridge and went past a Marcos garage and there was one outside, getting rarer and rare these days...

Top lock down project, you will love it and the end result is a joy to use.

Any problems, just give us a shout...good luck

Old 02-14-2021 | 06:40 PM
Tsbitar is infamous around these parts
Hey Jenni

I already did the project of apple CarPlay and backup camera , but as you said and you are totally right the screen resolution is very very bad .
I just need to know , so with your project are you still able after changing the lcd to switch to the original navigation screen ?
if so , can you please give me some details on how you wired the old nav screen to the new one !

I would really appreciate your help .
thank you

Last edited by Tsbitar; 02-14-2021 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-15-2021 | 12:46 AM
The thread and documentation attached within thoroughly shows the process and the original NAV output is displayed on the new HDMI screen. That is the RGBS to HDMI part of the job including the sync invertor.
So far with my limited setting up experience (The RGBS PCB and display driver PCB) I can say that the screen is a big improvement for the cameras and Android auto images and I have the original NAV output to an acceptable image. (Probably won't use but...)
And importantly ALL fully reversible of required.
​​​​

Old 02-16-2021 | 08:36 PM
GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !
Check out this site. A lot of what went into my screen mod was inspired by this gentleman. He found firmware for the same screen controller in this thread that has the proper sync support. The firmware eliminates the need for the sync inverter board.

https://sites.google.com/willcoxonline.com/jaguar/home

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Aston Martin 2011 V8 vantage navigation screen upgrade