Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin 2011 V8 vantage navigation screen upgrade

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-17-2021 | 07:47 PM
Tsbitar is infamous around these parts
thank you for your reply and this is exactly my problem .
I am not an expert so can u tell me from where to get the sync inverter (if you can post a link) , and how to connect the line from the sync inverter to the rca .

other than that I have everything all set.

I would really really appreciate your help .

thank u

Originally Posted by leman600
The thread and documentation attached within thoroughly shows the process and the original NAV output is displayed on the new HDMI screen. That is the RGBS to HDMI part of the job including the sync invertor.
So far with my limited setting up experience (The RGBS PCB and display driver PCB) I can say that the screen is a big improvement for the cameras and Android auto images and I have the original NAV output to an acceptable image. (Probably won't use but...)
And importantly ALL fully reversible of required.
​​​​

Old 02-19-2021 | 08:31 AM
Awdition is infamous around these parts
Everything is explained really well in Jenninaj’s document (v 0.6), including where to buy the chip and the connections. I’m nearly finished with my own install and have a spare Chip that I could mail you. You’ll need to solder all the connections on it..I can send you the breadboard it sits in too. Please pm address.

Old 03-01-2021 | 09:45 PM
Ashman_E has a spectacular aura aboutAshman_E has a spectacular aura about
My Pifotainment system

Over the past month or so, I've used the wonderful work of @Jenninaj as a jumping-off point and went in a slightly different direction.

1) I wanted a touch screen. The reach doesn't bother me and I'm really not a fan of adding anything to the cabin (pucks, extra buttons, etc.) that wasn't there at the beginning. Even if they're hidden in the console or the little cig lighter area. I just don't want any of that stuff and I definitely don't want to drill any extra holes to run wires.

2) I don't care at all about the original nav system, so as far as I'm concerned, it can just go away - as long as it can be returned to service in the future for originality's sake.

3) I have a 2009, so I'm using the auxiliary audio input for the sound. Earlier cars don't have this option and will have to jump through more hoops.

4) I want the overall hardware setup to be as simple as possible, so I have a LCD, capacitive touch screen, driver boards for both of those, a Raspberry Pi, and a CarPlay dongle. That's pretty much all of the major hardware. No video switch boxes. No extra interface buttons. No big puck thingies for controlling the screen.

5) Finally, I want to add a backup camera and a TPMS sensor system, but without having to bother with any video switching and whatnot, so I've gone wireless. These communicate directly with apps on the Raspberry Pi.

You can see the setup in a video I've put together here:

It'll be a good couple of months before it's warm enough for me to be dinking around for any length of time in the garage, so for the moment, I've just put the hardware and software together and I'll worry about the rest once I can get into the garage to start taking things apart in the car.

Thanks for the jump-start @Jenninaj. All of the help you've given all of us here is greatly appreciated!

Old 03-02-2021 | 10:33 AM
kumayama is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Ashman_E
Over the past month or so, I've used the wonderful work of @Jenninaj as a jumping-off point and went in a slightly different direction.

1) I wanted a touch screen. The reach doesn't bother me and I'm really not a fan of adding anything to the cabin (pucks, extra buttons, etc.) that wasn't there at the beginning. Even if they're hidden in the console or the little cig lighter area. I just don't want any of that stuff and I definitely don't want to drill any extra holes to run wires.

2) I don't care at all about the original nav system, so as far as I'm concerned, it can just go away - as long as it can be returned to service in the future for originality's sake.

3) I have a 2009, so I'm using the auxiliary audio input for the sound. Earlier cars don't have this option and will have to jump through more hoops.

4) I want the overall hardware setup to be as simple as possible, so I have a LCD, capacitive touch screen, driver boards for both of those, a Raspberry Pi, and a CarPlay dongle. That's pretty much all of the major hardware. No video switch boxes. No extra interface buttons. No big puck thingies for controlling the screen.

5) Finally, I want to add a backup camera and a TPMS sensor system, but without having to bother with any video switching and whatnot, so I've gone wireless. These communicate directly with apps on the Raspberry Pi.

You can see the setup in a video I've put together here: https://youtu.be/XiGwEP-2RyE

It'll be a good couple of months before it's warm enough for me to be dinking around for any length of time in the garage, so for the moment, I've just put the hardware and software together and I'll worry about the rest once I can get into the garage to start taking things apart in the car.

Thanks for the jump-start @Jenninaj. All of the help you've given all of us here is greatly appreciated!

Great work and thanks for sharing! where did you get the screen?

Old 03-02-2021 | 10:37 AM
Nice! I've just finished my install and will post a video later today or tomorrow. I went the touch screen route too, but with an iCartizan unit. It has to be a restive screen because of the lack of support by iCartizan for the capacitive screen (which I only discovered once I tried to hook everything together) - but other than the lack of pinch-to-zoom it works really well. I played around with Lineage OS and a Pi 4 and a capacitive screen, but the boot time was too slow for my needs. Having said that, being able to run MAME/retroArch in my car would have been fun! Let me know if you have any questions about pulling things apart/running cables etc. I am looking forward to seeing your build once it is complete.

Old 03-02-2021 | 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by kumayama
Great work and thanks for sharing! where did you get the screen?
If you search for AT065TN14 in the usual places (Aliexpress, Ebay, maybe even Amazon) you'll find them. Most come with the larger controller board that I discarded, or they don't come with a controller at all and you'll need to get one.

Note, that if you go the route I did and you buy a separate controller board, make sure you get one that's flashed for 800x480, otherwise you'll have to do what I did and figure out how to flash it with a new ROM program yourself. I'm an electrical engineer by schooling, so it was kind of fun for me to figure it out, but in general it's not for the faint of heart.

Once I get my setup complete, provided it all works out, I'll write it all up just like @Jenninaj, with links to where to buy every piece of hardware and where to download every piece of software.

Old 03-02-2021 | 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Awdition
I played around with Lineage OS and a Pi 4 and a capacitive screen, but the boot time was too slow for my needs.
The boot time is admittedly a little longer than I'd like as well. There are other Android ports that I haven't tried yet. May do that, may not. Either way, the improved functionality is an acceptable trade-off for a longer boot time for me. I think I'll be able to live with it in the long run, but time will tell.

Frankly, the blue "HDMI" screen when the LCD controllers boot up is more annoying to me, but I haven't been able to figure out a way to get rid of that yet.

Anyway, who knows, maybe we'll all be tearing them apart again in 5 years when someone comes up with an even better alternative.

Old 03-02-2021 | 12:39 PM
If you search for AT065TN14 in the usual places (Aliexpress, Ebay, maybe even Amazon) you'll find them. Most come with the larger controller board that I discarded, or they don't come with a controller at all and you'll need to get one.

Note, that if you go the route I did and you buy a separate controller board, make sure you get one that's flashed for 800x480, otherwise you'll have to do what I did and figure out how to flash it with a new ROM program yourself. I'm an electrical engineer by schooling, so it was kind of fun for me to figure it out, but in general it's not for the faint of heart.

Once I get my setup complete, provided it all works out, I'll write it all up just like @Jenninaj, with links to where to buy every piece of hardware and where to download every piece of software.
Thanks mate, I´ll think I´ll wait till you write it all up. I have apple car play and front and back camera installed, but the original screen is just terrible, It would be perfect with an more modern screen

Old 03-02-2021 | 05:28 PM
|
Jenninaj is infamous around these parts

You can see the setup in a video I've put together here:

This is some good work, and I'm impressed.

I'm loving the spirit on this forum and I admit I'm tempted to build version 2 of my unit with some inspiration drawn from what others have done.

Old 03-03-2021 | 10:18 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute

You can see the setup in a video I've put together here: https://youtu.be/XiGwEP-2RyE

watched your video... how do you account for boot up delays, etc. when starting your system... is the minute it takes acceptable wait time to use camera, e.t.c.? how is the reach to use touch screen?

when connected, where are you storing your phone?

i tried wireless camera and the results were less than desired...I hope your camera set up works better than mine did...
I went back to hardwire for front and rear cameras with remote switch... plan to set up front cam with sensor to trigger it.

good luck... ambitious set up

Old 03-03-2021 | 12:52 PM
|
I think this question is for Ashman_E but I'll offer my experience.

I'm using Emteria and given the way I've hooked up the rpi that the time from when I unlock the car from a short distance to when I sit in and turn the car over the unit is up for up a couple of seconds later - certainly enough time for me to mess around with plugging my phone in.

My phone sits between the two seats on a custom-made stand that keeps it out of the way of other controls, etc.

The cameras are hard-wired so available immediately...even before the rpi has booted. The hdmi switch cycles from rpi->front cam->rear cam->original sat nav

Old 03-03-2021 | 01:56 PM
Wireless CarPlay and Wired Android Auto

Here's a little video demonstrating my installation of an iCartizan Apple CarPlay/Android Auto device in my 2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.

Special thanks to:

Jenninaj – Thread Starter – and brave splicer-of-expensive-car-cables genius. His documentation and scientific research (I’m looking at you positive cSYNC). I also used his enclosure that fits above the passenger foot-well to house the main components.

Madgadget – for his diagram and first use of the iCartizan/RealMediaShop CarPlay/Android Auto box.

Wysoseereeus – for his definitive guide to backup and front camera installation

MRCW – for his advice on how to mount the rear camera and route the cables.

I’ll document the build soon, likely based upon Jenninaj’s excellent document.

Old 03-03-2021 | 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Awdition
Here's a little video demonstrating my installation of an iCartizan Apple CarPlay/Android Auto device in my 2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.

Special thanks to:

Jenninaj – Thread Starter – and brave splicer-of-expensive-car-cables genius. His documentation and scientific research (I’m looking at you positive cSYNC). I also used his enclosure that fits above the passenger foot-well to house the main components.

Madgadget – for his diagram and first use of the iCartizan/RealMediaShop CarPlay/Android Auto box.

Wysoseereeus – for his definitive guide to backup and front camera installation

MRCW – for his advice on how to mount the rear camera and route the cables.

I’ll document the build soon, likely based upon Jenninaj’s excellent document.
Wireless CarPlay Wired Android Auto 2007 Vantage V8
Looks amazing! I have everything except the hd screen, looking forward to see you write up, maybe I can change screen also.

Old 03-03-2021 | 02:55 PM
|
Thanks for the shout-out, and for posting the video demo. Great work, Sir!

Old 05-13-2021 | 09:57 AM
|
All: a number of people have been trying to download the older (0.2) version of the document I created. I can't find where the link is in the thread or I would remove it. [edit: it looks like the old link is being shown in people's replies to my comments, and not my comments themselves]

As a note: The current version of my guide is 0.6 and is located here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rRX...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Jenninaj; 05-13-2021 at 10:01 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Aston Martin 2011 V8 vantage navigation screen upgrade