Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin 2011 V8 vantage navigation screen upgrade

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-06-2019 | 01:47 AM
QuantumV8 is infamous around these parts
+2; well done Jenninaj! I'm really excited to tackle this upgrade with a how-to guide!

Old 02-28-2020 | 03:39 AM
madgadget is infamous around these parts
Another definite 'yes please' from me too, I have been looking for the perfect way to replace the old sat nav screen and this is the most elegant and flexible way I have seen

Old 02-28-2020 | 05:20 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
was there ever a DIY or even a parts list for this mod?

Old 02-28-2020 | 05:43 AM
Not yet, But I am keeping my fingers crossed

I have got a list of the parts from looking at Jenninaj's photos and I have found them on Amazon/eBay, and I've found the wiring diagrams for the Volvo RTI screen that is fitted into the Vantage, but I wanted to check with Jenninaj on how the connection was made between the existing screen connector and the VGA screen interface, which is then hooked up to the new screen.

This seems to be the same screen (from the model number in the photo) from amazon:
Amazon Amazon

or ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-VGA-...IAAOSwDJRblkDr

and this looks like the same video converter board:
Amazon Amazon

But I need to confirm how the existing screen connector is hooked up to the video converter, as I can see that the new screen has inputs for HDMI, VGA etc so that means it can accept lots of inputs and you can use the screens input selector itself.

So, I am trying to find out how to connect the existing RTI screen? I can see from the photo that there are some connections to the Video converter board, namely Ground, Red, Green, Blue, and I think RGBSync, and if that is the case, then that might be how the connection is made, but I am still trying to work it out.

I think the AmazonBasics HDMI Audio Extractor is being used to pull the audio out of the HDMI stream and then feed that into a MOST interface for the audio, e.g. Dension Gateway or volvo MOST audio adapter.

Out of all the methods, this looks the best because the standard pop up screen in the vantage is low resolution, so I am hoping that we can get this thread resurrected and I don't mind documenting an install, process etc, but those connections, really want to make sure I have the right ones and not destroy the interface (eeeekkkk) .........

Old 02-28-2020 | 08:27 AM
|
Jenninaj is infamous around these parts
Sorry everyone - been busy around here and I kept meaning to write up that 'how to'. I just looked back at how long it's been and yikes - time flies!

In my defense, I've just (last week) figured out how to put car play in this setup as well. So, I'll create a how-to for both options (one is derived from the other) and a parts list. Sound good? I'll start pulling it together this weekend.

Old 02-28-2020 | 08:29 AM
|
The screen hookup for the sat nav was something I toiled at for some time. In the end I had to bust out the oscilloscope and figure out a small solid state circuit to fix it. Don't panic though, it sounds way more complicated than it actually is. If people are unsure of how to do that step I can always put together a few small units to cover that part at cost + postage.

Old 02-28-2020 | 08:32 AM
Woohoo .... hi Jenninaj, so good to hear from you

OMG, you used an oscilloscope ..... thank goodness I didn't just go hacking in there ....complicated, yup .. Looking forward to your words (and pics) of wisdom and yes please put me down for one of your magic units .... If I can help, just let me know.

Old 02-28-2020 | 09:04 AM
|
I should also, by way of defense, say that a new job got in the way of this. Also, having my car in the shop FOR THREE MONTHS getting $40k in warranty work and a new clutch really took the edge off owning an AM. That is a saga I'm happy to share with people but it came down to having the ASM2 gearbox and them being so relatively rare that it took AM UK to figure out the fix.

Here's the look of the carplay option:

Carplay on Aston Martin Vantage S

Old 02-28-2020 | 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Jenninaj
I should also, by way of defense, say that a new job got in the way of this. Also, having my car in the shop FOR THREE MONTHS getting $40k in warranty work and a new clutch really took the edge off owning an AM. That is a saga I'm happy to share with people but it came down to having the ASM2 gearbox and them being so relatively rare that it took AM UK to figure out the fix.

Here's the look of the carplay option:

Carplay on Aston Martin Vantage S
Ouch, no need to defend though, just glad to hear you have your Vantage back to health. and Congrats on the new job !

I have a 2007 and there was a 1" square of corrosion on the passenger door by the handle and a 1/2" square of corrosion on the bottom edge. I took the car to the nearest dealer and it was just out of it's 10 year paint warranty at the time, but they agreed that it was a factory painting issue and they ended up replacing both doors, and respraying the whole car (long story) but all under warranty. They are very well built cars, but still have a few issues from time to time....

Old 02-28-2020 | 09:31 AM
|
Originally Posted by madgadget
Ouch, no need to defend though, just glad to hear you have your Vantage back to health. and Congrats on the new job !

I have a 2007 and there was a 1" square of corrosion on the passenger door by the handle and a 1/2" square of corrosion on the bottom edge. I took the car to the nearest dealer and it was just out of it's 10 year paint warranty at the time, but they agreed that it was a factory painting issue and they ended up replacing both doors, and respraying the whole car (long story) but all under warranty. They are very well built cars, but still have a few issues from time to time....
You did well to get all that done within the warranty. The mechanics were so deep into mine for other reasons that I got the timing belt changed for just the cost of the part. I think at the end of it the car is more new parts than original! ;-)

Old 02-28-2020 | 10:03 AM
|
Oh, and as I begin to put this together I intend to break it down into sections:
  1. Replacing the screen in the housing in a non-destructive way (so you can go back!)
  2. Connecting to the original sat nav feed (optional), including the solid-state components to get the video feed working
  3. Connecting front/rear cameras (optional)
  4. Getting iphone mirroring (optional; see #5)
  5. Getting carplay working (optional; see #4)
  6. Generally hooking stuff up, including the laser cut box I designed and where/how it's installed (not optional, unless you want your passenger to have their feet in a snake's nest of cables)
I figure this way people can pick and choose what functionality they want and could even add things like cameras later. Installing the front camera was an absolute bear on my Vantage. Installing the rear was an absolute cake-walk in comparison.

And before anyone asks: no, I'm not a professional, I will not be launching this as a product, and yes I will help all I can but provide no warranty or guarantees. People should also be clear that I've got this working on my car and have not attempted to do this to someone else's car. Based upon the number of AM's out there and way AM changed things people could have a wizard in a dress behind their dashboard for all I know.

If people find their vehicle differs from mine then I'm eager to help bridge the gap and get them working. Everything I'll put in the guide is non-destructive meaning that you are making no permanent changes to your vehicle (well, perhaps one or two but they do not affect factory functionality so if you wanted to revert to original it would be as if you hadn't touched it)

Old 02-28-2020 | 10:52 AM
The fact that you have got this working is a BIG tick for me, that's worth it's weight in gold.
Although now I have this image in my head now of some old Harry Potter world wizard pushing the display up everything it moves

I can't wait for this, thank you so much, do the instructions like that will be perfect, I am already sold on the CarPlay (a must for me) as well as connecting the old sat nav back in so I can still see it (call me nostalgic), and the fact that you can do the screen, non-destructively is brilliant, I was preparing to get the dremel out....

If I can help in any way, let me know

Last edited by madgadget; 02-29-2020 at 07:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-28-2020 | 01:22 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
while I use my video rear view mirror for my front and rear cameras, Ann's smartphone for nav it would be nice to just upgrade the old screen resolution.

Old 02-28-2020 | 10:48 PM
|
Originally Posted by MRCW
while I use my video rear view mirror for my front and rear cameras, Ann's smartphone for nav it would be nice to just upgrade the old screen resolution.
The original sat nav revolution is not that great so if all you want is high res sat nav then I would not go down this route

Old 02-29-2020 | 08:09 PM
|
I should also note that I've retooled most of the non-screen parts of the rig so please hold on for the guide and parts list before ordering anything!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Aston Martin 2011 V8 vantage navigation screen upgrade