Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin 2011 V8 vantage navigation screen upgrade

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-01-2020 | 12:39 AM
madgadget is infamous around these parts
Ummmm, in my eagerness to attempt this, I have already bought a video converter board which 'looked' like the board you had in one of the photos:

Amazon Amazon

Do you think that will still be useful or should I send that back?

Promise not to order anything else now, until the guide

Old 03-01-2020 | 02:51 AM
|
Jenninaj is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by madgadget
Ummmm, in my eagerness to attempt this, I have already bought a video converter board which 'looked' like the board you had in one of the photos:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you think that will still be useful or should I send that back?

Promise not to order anything else now, until the guide
Gah - Sorry! The current solution goes through a master hdmi switch rather than how I put it together originally. This makes the unit more compact, reduces the number of cables, and cleans up the feed quality. I hope you can send it back

Old 03-01-2020 | 02:53 AM
I can, bought it on Amazon prime - phew

Old 03-01-2020 | 05:34 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jenninaj
The original sat nav revolution is not that great so if all you want is high res sat nav then I would not go down this route
I'm not planning to do this whole mod because I don't get the point of using the screen to mirror your phone or using CarPlay or Android Auto with a touch screen that's out of reach. there's just too much junk cluttering up the cabin and to much to look at that can be distractions.

more interested in just the monitor set up.. size, ribbon cable change, e.t.c.

thanks for sharing with us!

Old 03-01-2020 | 09:12 AM
|
Originally Posted by MRCW
I'm not planning to do this whole mod because I don't get the point of using the screen to mirror your phone or using CarPlay or Android Auto with a touch screen that's out of reach. there's just too much junk cluttering up the cabin and to much to look at that can be distractions.

more interested in just the monitor set up.. size, ribbon cable change, e.t.c.

thanks for sharing with us!
I explored the use of a touch screen and decided against it for two reasons:
1. It’s too far away to use comfortably, as you point out
2. bloody greasy finger marks!

so, I have a small touchpad that is located down on the lower console which I can operate with my arm on the center rest. I have a touch pad in my Audi TT as factory and I really like the convenience.

Old 03-01-2020 | 02:53 PM
|
Okay, I've just had the dash and screen unit apart to take decent photos for the how-to. So, I'll get working on this ASAP.

Old 03-02-2020 | 02:53 AM
The anticipation is intense I can't wait....

Old 03-03-2020 | 11:19 PM
|
Okay, fellow AM-heads, here is my progress on a how-to thus far. It's incomplete as I don't have the parts list or any of the later electronics instructions but I figured I'd get feedback from you lovely people as to whether my detail and explanations are clear enough to follow. Any tips on improving this at this stage would be welcome.

Apologies for the blurry images - that was caused by having to shrink it small enough for this forum limit on uploads. Here is the original file: <link removed>

Cheers!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AMvantage_infotainment.v0.1.pdf (1.63 MB, 626 views)

Last edited by Jenninaj; 03-09-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-04-2020 | 03:13 AM
Hi Jenninaj,

Firstly, wow, that is a really good document, well written, good photos and it doesn't leave anything to interpretation, which is probably the most important point when trying to follow instructions.

Great pictures, I downloaded your document from Google Drive and it's much clearer as you said.

Seriously though, I think, for me, I have read through similar instructions and this is certainly the best I have ever seen. I got to the end and thought 'where's the following image of everything back together', then remembered that it's an unfinished document - doh.

Bravo Sir - I think you have a winner here !!

Last edited by madgadget; 03-04-2020 at 07:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-04-2020 | 07:04 AM
|
Originally Posted by madgadget
Hi Jenninaj,

Firstly, wow, that is a really good document, well written, good photos and it doesn't leave anything to interpretation, which is probably the most important point when trying to follow instructions.

Great pictures, I downloaded your document from Google Drive and it's much clearer as you said.

Seriously though, I think, for me, I have read through similar instructions and this is certainly the best I have ever seen. I got to the end and thought 'where's the folliwng image of everythign back together', then remembered that it's an unfinished document - doh.

Bravo Sir - I think you have a winner here !!
Thanks for the quick feedback. The long march to getting this finished will continue this week.

Old 03-04-2020 | 07:08 AM
|
Originally Posted by embdenb
There is a lot of interest in this mod. We need more information. Screen size, part numbers and manufacturer of said parts, wiring diagrams etc. would be appreciated ( Smile) also would this work on the earlier Volvo navigational systems?
My system is the crappy Volvo system, not the slightly-less crappy Garmin system. Hence my mods should work if you have the same system. If you have a different system ping me and I’ll attempt to figure if/how it might work for you

Old 03-05-2020 | 10:41 PM
|
Okay, version 0.2 of the guide is here. It's not complete but most of the way there. It's a damn long document and I'm sure parts won't make sense. Please reach out with any questions/comments.

<link removed>

Last edited by Jenninaj; 03-09-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-06-2020 | 09:15 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Jenninaj
Okay, version 0.2 of the guide is here. It's not complete but most of the way there. It's a damn long document and I'm sure parts won't make sense. Please reach out with any questions/comments.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZI...uASm2CSmJXIjwu
The Link does not work but WOW!

Great job and great solution.
This is stuff I love about car communities, great improvement projects and information to replicate.

Old 03-06-2020 | 09:27 AM
|
Originally Posted by Zettinger
The Link does not work but WOW!

Great job and great solution.
This is stuff I love about car communities, great improvement projects and information to replicate.
Doesn't work? Hmm...weird. How about this:
<link removed>

I just tried it and it said it was too large to open (which is true) but I could download it and view it.

Last edited by Jenninaj; 03-09-2020 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-06-2020 | 09:29 AM
|
The next version (0.3) of the how-to is on its way (just gotta do my day job for a little longer). It will contain a link to the acrylic box I designed but for those of you who can't wait:
<link removed>

Last edited by Jenninaj; 03-09-2020 at 11:08 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Aston Martin 2011 V8 vantage navigation screen upgrade