Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin 2011 V8 vantage navigation screen upgrade

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-09-2020 | 01:04 PM
madgadget is infamous around these parts
Bravo, what a journey and what a document..... I just want to say that you are a credit to 6speedonline and to all those out there who dare to make their cars better .... thank you.

I am going to have to print the beast off, for evening reading and reflection on the journey to come...

I've got quite a few parts now, just waiting on the screen to arrive next week and then I need to order the parts from DigiKey.

You graciously ordered the connectors from DigiKey, am I good to order from them too, or should I wait ?

Old 03-09-2020 | 01:21 PM
|
Jenninaj is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by madgadget
Bravo, what a journey and what a document..... I just want to say that you are a credit to 6speedonline and to all those out there who dare to make their cars better .... thank you.

I am going to have to print the beast off, for evening reading and reflection on the journey to come...

I've got quite a few parts now, just waiting on the screen to arrive next week and then I need to order the parts from DigiKey.

You graciously ordered the connectors from DigiKey, am I good to order from them too, or should I wait ?
I hope it helps you and anyone else.

I would say wait for the order to arrive here so I can check - I don't want people to order a bunch of useless parts, even if they are relatively cheap.

Old 03-09-2020 | 01:26 PM
madgadget is infamous around these parts
OK, you're right.... at least it will give me time to read, re-read and then read some more

Old 03-09-2020 | 01:29 PM
Eric997 is infamous around these parts
Awesome job Jenninaj! You put a lot effort into this and it is greatly appreciated. And thanks to madgadget for his proof reading and diagram! Most of it is above me. Nice job guys!

This is exactly what I would want to do to my car as well. While I can do a lot things on a car and I do own a multi-meter, my electronic skills are minimal. I'm going to read through this a few times and see if I want to give it a go.

btw, I'm sure a lot of us are wondering what the ball park figure is on parts assuming you don't have any of this. If you have an idea, that would be nice. Not asking you to spend more time on figuring this out. I may try to figure it out as well and will post back here if I do.

Old 03-09-2020 | 01:32 PM
|
Originally Posted by Eric997
Awesome job Jenninaj! You put a lot effort into this and it is greatly appreciated. And thanks to madgadget for his proof reading and diagram! Most of it is above me. Nice job guys!

This is exactly what I would want to do to my car as well. While I can do a lot things on a car and I do own a multi-meter, my electronic skills are minimal. I'm going to read through this a few times and see if I want to give it a go.

btw, I'm sure a lot of us are wondering what the ball park figure is on parts assuming you don't have any of this. If you have an idea, that would be nice. Not asking you to spend more time on figuring this out. I may try to figure it out as well and will post back here if I do.
Thanks very much.

All the links to the hardware is in the how-to so you can click away to your heart's content to work out costs. It will vary by where you are in the world, etc. and in some areas you may be able to source the parts cheaper/quicker. I'm happy to round up what I paid but that will take a while until I can carve out the time.

Old 03-09-2020 | 01:49 PM
Don't worry about it. I'll do it when I get some time to thought the document in detail. Thanks again!

Old 03-09-2020 | 03:50 PM
|

well, if the sync inverter scares you I’m happy to bash one out and mail it to you for the cost of shipping alone.

Old 03-09-2020 | 05:08 PM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jenninaj
I should also, by way of defense, say that a new job got in the way of this. Also, having my car in the shop FOR THREE MONTHS getting $40k in warranty work and a new clutch really took the edge off owning an AM. That is a saga I'm happy to share with people but it came down to having the ASM2 gearbox and them being so relatively rare that it took AM UK to figure out the fix.

Here's the look of the carplay option:

Carplay on Aston Martin Vantage S
Can you post photo of Apple Maps in dark mode. Just want to see if map shows in dark mode or light mode. Thanks!

Old 03-09-2020 | 09:38 PM
|
Originally Posted by cuddapah
Can you post photo of Apple Maps in dark mode. Just want to see if map shows in dark mode or light mode. Thanks!
Not sure if this is what you wanted but you can see in settings there is night mode and automatic - this is for carplay itself and it doesn't affect apple maps, other than to have the alerts in dark background for night mode.

With apple maps there doesn't appear to be an option to change it manually from the interface. I put my phone in darkness and the apple maps on its screen went dark but the new screen stayed in daytime mode.

Finally, there is google maps - which I find way better than apple maps all round. You can use the settings option within the carplay version to have the map day, night, or automatic (see images).

Google maps in day mode

Google maps in night mode

The settings options within google maps on carplay

Old 03-10-2020 | 06:49 AM
GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !
Glad to see some more info on this project. It's really great! When I first saw it, I was inspired to do something similar, but a little bit different. I have the same video controller board running a custom firmware that allows for an arduino connected to the video board's I2C bus to control the brightness and inputs of the screen. The custom firmware can recognize the Volvo RGB and composite sync video and the Arduino decodes the Volvo Melbus data to extract the screen brightness data from the factory navigation unit. This gives me a the factory RGBS input for the volvo navigation plus an HDMI input and two composite video inputs that can be selected by pulling one of three wires high with 12V. Brightness of the display can be adjusted using the dimmer **** near the headlamp switch.

The goal was to have everything work exactly as the factory system until you activated HDMI or either the rear or (future) front cameras. I also used a display screen from a Volvo S60 and swapped the mounting brackets from the Aston screen so I can put it all back without any trouble. My solution isn't nearly as well documented as Jenninaj, but I can definitely try to answer questions if anyone has any.

Here's a picture of the LCD side almost complete. The only real thing missing is the HDMI ribbon cable and some hot melt glue to hold a few things in place.

Last edited by GA_DB9; 03-10-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-10-2020 | 02:02 PM
6Speed Town Crier
Johnny Mayday is infamous around these parts
This is an awesome mod, and even better that it's completely reversible! Bravo!

Old 03-11-2020 | 09:16 AM
So I did a quick ballpark estimate using the links in Jenninaj's document. I say ballpark because I did not go through and count how many of each part was needed. At least not yet. I basically did one of everything except some of the connectors from Digikey where I used additional quantities, but they are relatively cheap parts. Several of the parts (connectors and wiring harnesses) from Amazon included multiple pieces like 5 or 20 and so I just did one package. The total I got was about $650 USD plus shipping. Now this does not include the acrylic box or cameras, though it should include everything need to get the cameras working. These are not in the parts list.

Could Jenninaj or anyone else for that matter please supply some recommendations for cameras. Probably quite a few options, but for those of us not familiar with the best options for this application, it would be very helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by Eric997; 03-11-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-11-2020 | 09:42 AM
|
So I did a quick ballpark estimate using the links in Jenninaj's document. I say ballpark because I did not go through and count how many of each part was needed. At least not yet. I basically did one of everything except some of the connectors from Digikey where I used additional quantities, but they are relatively cheap parts. Several of the parts (connectors and wiring harnesses) from Amazon included multiple pieces like 5 or 20 and so I just did one package. The total I got was about $650 USD plus shipping. Now this does not include the acrylic box or cameras, though it should include everything need to get the cameras working. These are not in the parts list.

Could Jenninaj or anyone else for that matter please supply some recommendations for cameras. Probably quite a few options, but for those of us not familiar with the best options for this application, it would be very helpful. Thanks!
let me dig into the cameras I have and maybe provide a how to.

re: acrylic box: I don’t believe hundreds want this mod so I’ll tentatively offer to cut and ship the box pieces for cost of materials and shipping only

Last edited by Jenninaj; 03-12-2020 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-11-2020 | 11:14 PM
|

Cameras:
  1. Front: NATIKA Backup/Front View Camera:
    Amazon Amazon
  2. Rear: License Plate Rear View Backup Camera:
    Amazon Amazon
Here are some images of the camera views, as well as one of the original sat nav feed

Original Sat Nav running through new system

Rear camera view

Front camera view

Old 03-12-2020 | 07:12 AM
Awesome Jenninaj! You rock. Thanks again...those look like some great options. And I appreciate you offering to help out with the inverter and acrylic box. If I do this, I probably will take you up on the acrylic box.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Aston Martin 2011 V8 vantage navigation screen upgrade