Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin 2011 V8 vantage navigation screen upgrade

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-19-2020 | 09:23 AM
Eric997 is infamous around these parts
I was also thinking about using the Real Media box. Looks like they are in Germany. And after looking into it more, it looks like it is from a manufacturer in China called Cartizan. You can Google and find their website. There looks to be a US supplier called Quality Mobile Video, but it is out of Stock. Saw a Canadian supplier as well and it looks to be the same kit, but they are a good bit more expensive. I guess I could try to see what shipping from Germany would be like. Let me know if anyone has a better option for sourcing in the US.

Old 04-19-2020 | 11:28 AM
Awdition is infamous around these parts
I ordered the Cartizan CP2-11 from Quality Mobile Video yesterday. I know they are back ordered, but they seem to be the only distributor for Cartizan in the US. The CP2 comes with wireless Apple Carplay, so I will let the forum know how I get on with the install once everything arrives.

Old 04-19-2020 | 12:40 PM
madgadget is infamous around these parts
It really is a great bit of kit, well thought out and full of features and well made.

Looking forward to seeing even more installs of this great build.....

Old 04-19-2020 | 01:08 PM
Thanks again madgadget, Jenninaj et al.

I'm currently looking for a solder-free version of the RGB sync inversion. I am happy to solder the hex inverter chip, (heck it's only 55c), but I was hoping to find a ready-made solution. Anyone found one yet?

Old 04-21-2020 | 06:43 AM
Originally Posted by Awdition
I ordered the Cartizan CP2-11 from Quality Mobile Video yesterday. I know they are back ordered, but they seem to be the only distributor for Cartizan in the US. The CP2 comes with wireless Apple Carplay, so I will let the forum know how I get on with the install once everything arrives.
Well, no surprise, QMV cancelled my order today. I expect it's COVID-19 related. I have toyed with the idea of building a Raspberry Pi box running OpenAuto, but I like the route that madgadget took since the Cartizan box will handle the rear camera too. I think I'm going to wait until the pandemic is over before I resume the project. I'll keep y'all posted.

Old 04-21-2020 | 07:10 AM
GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !
I picked up one of the cartizan boxes a few months ago. Overall it works ok, but the navigation **** is a little limited. Android Auto requires an up/down action to be able to access notifications and to get to the bottom bar. The cartizan controller doesn't support either so both activities take a few extra button presses. The bootup time is great and it's pretty reliable, but this quirk has me on the lookout for another solution.

Old 04-21-2020 | 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by GA_DB9
I picked up one of the cartizan boxes a few months ago. Overall it works ok, but the navigation **** is a little limited. Android Auto requires an up/down action to be able to access notifications and to get to the bottom bar. The cartizan controller doesn't support either so both activities take a few extra button presses. The bootup time is great and it's pretty reliable, but this quirk has me on the lookout for another solution.
Interesting. I was planning to get the touch screen working along with voice control, and just use the controller minimally. I know the screen is a little out of arm's reach but I'd prefer that to strapping an additional screen/ipad to the dash. Your feedback was helpful - since madgadget uses CarPlay, he may not have experienced that (just guessing). Since the cartizan isn't available right now I have some time to play with a Raspberry Pi. Most of this tech is the same as the MAME arcade emulators I've assembled in the past, so there may be another solution here that we haven't explored yet. Anyhow, this is still an awesome mod. Thanks GA_DB9!

Old 04-21-2020 | 07:17 AM
Eric997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Awdition
Well, no surprise, QMV cancelled my order today. I expect it's COVID-19 related. I have toyed with the idea of building a Raspberry Pi box running OpenAuto, but I like the route that madgadget took since the Cartizan box will handle the rear camera too. I think I'm going to wait until the pandemic is over before I resume the project. I'll keep y'all posted.
I happened to email them last night and got a reply. They told me they are on order and think they are 1 month out from getting them. But who knows given the situation...I guess we will see.

Old 04-21-2020 | 07:41 AM
You're right, I use CarPlay and haven't had any start up problems or issues to date.

I initially looked at the Raspberry Pi option and it's a great idea and I still might have a mess around with one, I mean hey, having a Vantage with a full MAME emulator onboard .

My main reasons for doing the Cartizan route was because the unit is an all in one, ie. the video and audio comes out of both the HDMI and RCA so I can reduce the converters downstream, plus it's already setup for both CarPlay and Android Auto (although I haven't tried the Android option yet ), it can play USB music direct if I were to not connect the phone and with the display navigation that is so much better than just a Dension or MR12Volt MOST adapter and trying to navigate a USB stick full of music on the car's existing audio display, it has bluetooth, it plays 1080p video's (which, if you're bored or waiting for someone is a great bonus) and it has both video in and reversing camera in so I have two video options.

The bit that really sold it for me was the control **** which under CarPlay works a treat, I guess Apple have thought it out really well, it's quick to navigate and logical, although I get GA_DB9's point that under Android Audio, it's doesn't seem so great.

I've got an old Samsung S5 somewhere, I will dig it out and see how it goes..

Lastly, I had some questions about the unit and sent off an email to Cartizan and they were very helpful and informative, which is a plus point.

Old 08-14-2020 | 09:01 PM
Okay - small update. After 4 months of being out of stock, Quality Mobile and Video now have the CP2-11 in stock. I just ordered mine again. So hopefully I can start working on this within the next week or so.

madgadget - quick question - how do you route the audio output from the real media/cartizan device to the Mr12Volt MOST adapter?

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2020 | 04:20 AM
Hi Awdition,

Great news, you'll love it when it's all fitted

I connected the Cartizan unit with the MOST adapter using a lead which had two RCA plugs going to a 3.5mm plug.

The Cartizan has a loom which has two RCA outputs along with an RCA video out, and even though you will connect the video using the HDMI output, the RCA cable is live for both signals, so you take the audio from those two plugs (ignore the video plug as you'll use HDMI) and then use a lead which converts the two RCA to a single 3.5mm plug and the MOST adapter has an auxiliary input which is 3.5mm input socket.

Any problems, let us know good luck

Old 08-15-2020 | 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by madgadget
Hi Awdition,

Great news, you'll love it when it's all fitted

I connected the Cartizan unit with the MOST adapter using a lead which had two RCA plugs going to a 3.5mm plug.

The Cartizan has a loom which has two RCA outputs along with an RCA video out, and even though you will connect the video using the HDMI output, the RCA cable is live for both signals, so you take the audio from those two plugs (ignore the video plug as you'll use HDMI) and then use a lead which converts the two RCA to a single 3.5mm plug and the MOST adapter has an auxiliary input which is 3.5mm input socket.

Any problems, let us know good luck
Excellent, thank you.

Do you also use the Bluetooth built into the Cartizan, or do you use the MrVolt for streaming music? Finally, is the USB connection for Carplay/AA powerful enough to charge the phone or do you still need a separate charger?

Ta!

Old 08-16-2020 | 01:19 PM
OK, in terms of the bluetooth, if I need to use it, I go for the Cartizan one as you have more control over it and a bit more security in terms of who can connect. The annoying thing is that I can't seem to switch off the MOST bluetooth, even though the very basic instructions I found say that you simply have to set DIP switch 4 to ON for the bluetooth to be off, it doesn't seem to want to go off

In terms of the USB connection, that's what I use all the time as I want the Apple CarPlay and it charges up the iPhone perfectly, no more separate chargers ... !!

Old 08-16-2020 | 01:20 PM
Oh, forgot to say, if you want, you can connect up the USB to charge and set the Cartizan to NOT startup Apple CarPlay or Android Auto automatically and then bluetooth to it for streaming, works both ways.

Old 08-16-2020 | 06:46 PM
Awesome - thank you. I suppose the OEM radio/ trackID Screen and buttons only work using the Bluetooth MrVolt - but having everything controlled/displayed using the Cartizan/CarPlay/Android Auto would be far better anyhow. I have a 2007 - so need the MrVolt for it’s 3.5mm aux jack.

I am waiting on a couple more components and then a free weekend to get this in - hopefully within a couple weeks’ time. My plan is to try and get the touch screen working in addition to the Cartizan controller and then use an RGBs to RCA converter module to pipe the Volvo screen input into the Cartizan video input. That way I will only use HDMI between the Cartizan and the new screen - and use RCA for back/front cameras (with switching cable hooked into reverse lights) into the reverse camera input of the Cartizan. It would simplify things and remove the need for an HDMI switcher.

...in theory...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Aston Martin 2011 V8 vantage navigation screen upgrade