Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DB9 passenger seat adjustment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 04:33 PM
V12Stealth
DB9 passenger seat adjustment

It appears that I have no cushion height/tilt adjustment for the passenger seat in my new 2009 DB9. I recall that it was an option on early cars. What are the options for adding such a feature? My spouse and I are finding it difficult to get comfortable in the DB9 (daily drive an X350 VDP). The seats are very hard and the fixed headrest doesn't seem to work for us.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:27 PM
Amptech is infamous around these parts
My 07MY has no such adjustment either, only forward and back for the base. I remember there was a reason for this, but cannot remember what it was at the moment.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:47 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Federal market cars for the passengers weight sensor to disable the airbag function under 40lbs. Early DB9 did have more adjustment, but those seats are worse for comfort. Your kind of stuck with what you have.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:40 PM
V12Stealth
That sucks. If Ford could figure it out for their other luxury cars in 2009 there is no excuse. I'm very disappointed. Do later DB9s have it? If not, I will hunt for a driver's seat from a RHD market car and retrofit that.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:23 AM
TR-Spider is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by V12Stealth
That sucks. If Ford could figure it out for their other luxury cars in 2009 there is no excuse. I'm very disappointed. Do later DB9s have it? If not, I will hunt for a driver's seat from a RHD market car and retrofit that.
Most likely you wont need the whole seat.

The seat has a subframe, which houses the height adjustment (2 motors for separate front and rear adjustments).
Subframe is identical left and right (at least was in my 07 V8V with later style seats).
I am rather sure (caution, no prove!) that you can exchange only the seat subframes between seats.
When buying one, be careful, memory & non-memory subframes are different.
Dont know if the operator switches supports the exchange, though.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:11 AM
V12Stealth
Thanks for the tip. Do you know when they switched to "memory" seats?

Old 11-14-2019, 04:46 AM
Memory seats were an option, memory and non-memory exist over the whole time range.

Old 11-14-2019, 08:50 PM
V12Stealth
The switch pack will need to be changed as there is no switch actuation for the non-height adjustable cushion switch pack.

I found a set of seat frames for sale from a 06 DB9 and they both look identical in terms of motor arrangement. @J doubleU mentioned that the early cars had more adjustment. Could this be why? There appears to be no distinction between left and right in terms of part numbers (only height-adjust or non-adjust), so yes they must be interchangeable.

I've attached two photos from an 06 db9, left and right.

06 db9 USA Left Front (driver's) seat frame

06 db9 USA Right Front (passenger's) seat frame

Old 11-15-2019, 01:01 AM
The right (passenger) one in the picture has bent the rails where the seat is bolted on.
Good thing L/R is the same part.

If the switches are different you will need to check for the cable tree as well - there may be a cable tree without the additional 2 motor cables & connectors.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:50 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Vehicle harness should be the same, switch is obviously needed. But the seat control module would be another guess as to function support. By changing the seat base you remove the weight sensor which will induce a airbag RED warning and fault for the passengers seat.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:17 AM
I had my (07 V8V European spec) seats completely dissasembled recently and have not seen a passenger weight sensor.
Are you sure there is a control module for non-memory seats?
Probably easiest to check the parts catalogue in the web.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:31 AM
USA spec has the weight sensor in the seat mounting base. Not the seat cushion. Seat module in in the lower front cushion area.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:38 PM
V12Stealth
I think I could convert to a non-memory with height adjust and without the weight sensor and just fake the weight sensor to enable the airbag all the time or put in a discrete switch for the airbag sensor like older Fords. Would I still need a seat ECU for a non-memory seat?

Old 11-15-2019, 07:53 PM
Seat ECU runs the seat motors regardless of memory, weight sensor is a separate circuit via SRS module. You need a seat module which you already have.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:02 PM
V12Stealth
Thanks. The non-memory seat switches are called "high voltage" so I guessed (wrongly) that it was driving the seats directly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DB9 passenger seat adjustment