Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Trying Forged Carbon Fiber Wrap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 03:47 PM
M I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud of
Trying Forged Carbon Fiber Wrap

I'm on the fence about getting the interior bits in Forged Carbon Fiber. Got this wrap of Amazon to see if I like the look, as it can be reversed. If I still dig it in a few weeks, I'll get the interior parts made. I know there were a few others interested in forged carbon on the last thread, hopefully there is a group buy in the near future. Cost for 2 rolls was about $30 USD shipped.

This is decent wrap material, but certainly not "high end". Pattern looks great, until you put it next to real forged carbon. Still the color tones are close so I can see how the car looks with most of the interior metal deleted. Tonight I will wrap the radio surround, gear shift / ash tray panel. This weekend the door handles. The chrome stick shift surround will be done in standard carbon fiber or satin black. Have to see which looks better. I think the chrome will be too bright.

Completed so far, both door sill panels and the ski slope. Couple small bubbles down low on the slope by the starter, I will fix tonight or tomorrow when I complete the radio surround.
While I was in there, I replaced the Nav gears with the kit from Rich @Redpants . Super easy, and fantastic walk through video. Was able to keep up in real time, maybe a 10 minute job once the slope was out.

Old 03-13-2020, 09:49 AM
Kalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to all
The photos of it installed definitely help to visualize the final result. I really like how that looks, though I think glossy would be better than matte.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:10 AM
M I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Kalepsis
The photos of it installed definitely help to visualize the final result. I really like how that looks, though I think glossy would be better than matte.

I agree 100% on glossy. Couldn't find it. Only matte. Finishing the center console today, door handles tomorrow. So far I like it. Need to start saving for the real deal.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:18 PM
More progress today.
Had to completely disassemble the radio console to wrap it. Note to self...don't let all the control buttons fall out. They only go in one way. Literally took 20 minutes to get them in order again. Each button is different from all the others.

Bottom flat panel, wrapped.

Wrapped the chrome surround in regular carbon fiber.

Wrapping the accesory bin proved a challenge to get right. I ended up painting the sides black.

You have to remove all components on the back off to wrap right. Take pics and keep track of where everything goes. Different size screws and buttons.

Radio console done.

And installed.

I'll get the door handles done this weekend. Going to be challenging by the pull handle. Might have to use 2 pieces there, don't think it will stretch enough.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:05 PM
One door done. Area behind the pull was easy to fill in. The random pattern of forged makes cut ins disappear. Wouldn't have worked as well with standard CF.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:16 PM
Kalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to all
Originally Posted by M I Six
One door done. Area behind the pull was easy to fill in. The random pattern of forged makes cut ins disappear. Wouldn't have worked as well with standard CF.
Looks good.
But I'm not convinced about mixing the two carbon types. What if you did the air vent surrounds, *****, shift boot surround, and window switch panels in black chrome?

Old 03-14-2020, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Kalepsis
Looks good.
But I'm not convinced about mixing the two carbon types. What if you did the air vent surrounds, *****, shift boot surround, and window switch panels in black chrome?
Could look nice. I was tempted to do the air surrounds when I had them off, but didn't wasn't to wait on new vinyl.

I am worried about it being too dark but was thinking of painting all the ***** black. CD/Radio buttons would require taking everything apart again to pain them.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by M I Six
Could look nice. I was tempted to do the air surrounds when I had them off, but didn't wasn't to wait on new vinyl.

I am worried about it being too dark but was thinking of painting all the ***** black. CD/Radio buttons would require taking everything apart again to pain them.
True, but nothing worth doing is ever easy, right?

I'd like to change out all the ***** on mine for custom ones CNC'd out of aluminum (maybe with a dark bronze anodized finish?) but I don't have access to a mill. Because, let's be honest, these ***** are not great quality. Maybe I'll look into custom-order 3D printed metal parts.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:33 AM
You could make the forged carbon vinyl glossy by putting this stuff on top of it:
Gloss clear PPF Gloss clear PPF

Old 03-21-2020, 04:01 PM
Slowly working my way through and replacing the shiny bits. Today's progress. Parcel shelf holding trim.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:13 PM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Looks GREAT! I like seeing the 'entire' cabin pictures so you get the full effect.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:06 AM
Stealthssfc is infamous around these parts
if you’re curious what the real thing looks like I have much of my V8S done in forged carbon fiber. Gauge cluster cover, custom steering wheel, custom extended paddle shifters, and ski slope. On the exterior I have side strakes, mirror caps and tail light inserts. On the way are a new front bumper lip, rear bumper lower insert, door kick plates and inner door armrests. Here are a few pics of what they look like. All piece are from Michal at ECPS and Eric and Carbontastic. Both do amazing work!

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0987.mov (1.18 MB, 9 views)
Old 04-06-2020, 07:53 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Stealthssfc
if you’re curious what the real thing looks like I have much of my V8S done in forged carbon fiber. Gauge cluster cover, custom steering wheel, custom extended paddle shifters, and ski slope. On the exterior I have side strakes, mirror caps and tail light inserts. On the way are a new front bumper lip, rear bumper lower insert, door kick plates and inner door armrests. Here are a few pics of what they look like. All piece are from Michal at ECPS and Eric and Carbontastic. Both do amazing work!

considering mirrors caps... pre 2011? do you have pricing? contact info?

thanks

Old 04-06-2020, 08:07 AM
Stealthssfc is infamous around these parts
You can contact Michal through his website at http://ecpsgroup.com/
If you are a member of the Aston Martin V8/V12 Owners Group on Facebook he is on there a lot.

Richard at Redpants sells his parts from the US as well since ECPS is located in Poland. Your best best might be to contact Redpants

Old 06-01-2021, 10:37 AM
bavarianstance is infamous around these partsbavarianstance is infamous around these parts
if anyone is interested, I have 3 rolls of this vinyl wrap that I never used. Giving it away, just asking you pay for shipping. Please PM me

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trying Forged Carbon Fiber Wrap