Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Possible misdiagnosis. What would you do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 10:08 AM
61mga is infamous around these parts
deleted

Last edited by 61mga; 04-15-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:02 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 61mga
the trouble with these kind of problems, IME, is that there is a simple way to determine whether or not cylinders are not firing, but it takes a bit of reiterative testing that has lost favor in car dealership's service departments over the year. that is, you simply disable spark (one way or another) to one cylinder at a time and monitor the RPM at some convenient throttle setting. if the RPM drops the cylinder was firing correctly, if not, it wasn't and then THAT plug and/or coil can be replaced.
this sort of diagnosis and remedy is often found at independent garages that have some old-school mechanics on the payroll. they can be a godsend, IMO of course.
Disabling an coil/spark plug from firing doesn't prove the spark isn't igniting, what if the injector was clogged and not injecting fuel? Bad Coil and Bad Injector would be exactly same symptoms..

Btw, disabling a coil from firing will also force the ECU to disable that cyl fuel injector from injecting fuel. Old-School mechanics in my terminology would be anyone Pre-OBD2, they also didn't work on C.O.P and rarely D.I.S(you were a god if you understood DIS and didn't favor disi-caps).

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-16-2020, 02:05 PM
Calcifer33 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Irish07@VelocityAP
Yes, pcv is on top left of pic, rest are just fittings. You'll need rubber hoses to fit botttom of valve. The OEM is glued into hose, if your lucky hose has become unglued and you can retain the hose. Otherwise you'll cutting out the pcv's..

Again..this route is only if changing with aftermarket pcv's like from your link.
Thanks! And just making sure I understand, if I were to cut out the existing PCV's, is there likely enough hose left for me to just press these Motorcraft PCV's into the remaining hose still sttached to the system, or will I need to purchase a new hose (and how do I know what size to buy)? Lastly, if the AM tech is telling me that oil in the intakes is to be expected on these vehicles even with perfectly good PCV's, what does a common owner like me look for in symptoms to know it's time to swap out the PCV's? Previously, I thought oil in the intake was the symptom.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:14 PM
61mga is infamous around these parts
true enough irish07, (sorry, i'll get the quoting thing right next time.)
didn't know that disabling coil would request ECU to disable the injector. good to know. is that true for all modern fuel injected engines (although i suspect it is only true for those engines with dedicated cylinder coils)? and is that the method used to increase mileage when the ECU decides that not all of the cylinders need be used? if so, it lays rest to my concern with the disposal of the unused fuel and possible oil contamination. i sort of figured that there was a reasonable answer to that but never bothered to do the necessary research to find the answer.
BTW, i sort of deleted my post before your response. i suppose there is some delay involved in the system WRT posts that may have been involved.... no matter...

Last edited by 61mga; 04-16-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:00 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Calcifer33
Thanks! And just making sure I understand, if I were to cut out the existing PCV's, is there likely enough hose left for me to just press these Motorcraft PCV's into the remaining hose still sttached to the system, or will I need to purchase a new hose (and how do I know what size to buy)? Lastly, if the AM tech is telling me that oil in the intakes is to be expected on these vehicles even with perfectly good PCV's, what does a common owner like me look for in symptoms to know it's time to swap out the PCV's? Previously, I thought oil in the intake was the symptom.
No, not really enough hose...all depends on if you need to cut the hose and by how much. I'd be ready to have a 2nd vehicle that you could run to the parts store for matching size..only need a foot length, I just don't remember the hose diameter.

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-17-2020, 12:11 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by 61mga
true enough irish07, (sorry, i'll get the quoting thing right next time.)
didn't know that disabling coil would request ECU to disable the injector. good to know. is that true for all modern fuel injected engines (although i suspect it is only true for those engines with dedicated cylinder coils)? and is that the method used to increase mileage when the ECU decides that not all of the cylinders need be used? if so, it lays rest to my concern with the disposal of the unused fuel and possible oil contamination. i sort of figured that there was a reasonable answer to that but never bothered to do the necessary research to find the answer.
BTW, i sort of deleted my post before your response. i suppose there is some delay involved in the system WRT posts that may have been involved.... no matter...
Most C.O.P systems (Coil On Plug) will disable fuel injector, otherwise unburnt fuel will enter exhaust/increase emission/degrade catalyst...on early vehicles with a coil per bank, wasn't common to shut off injector. I'm sure it would of been a CARB or EURO requirement, just don't know which year..nonetheless most systems now are C.O.P style.

Yes and No, for fuel saving/cylinder deactivation. Some will cut the fuel injector, but unless engine is balanced, it'll vibrate when firing on active cylinders. So, some models will play with camshaft/lobes/valve lift; canceling the injection+spark+keep intake and exhaust valves closed, For Aston Martin, like in the DB11 V12, an entire bank is deactivated..the V12 is really 2x inline 6 cyls, so cutting off 1 entire half won't vibrate and some ppl won't even know it's active unless they see the icon in dash.

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-18-2020, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Irish07@VelocityAP
No, not really enough hose...all depends on if you need to cut the hose and by how much. I'd be ready to have a 2nd vehicle that you could run to the parts store for matching size..only need a foot length, I just don't remember the hose diameter.
Thanks and I will be sure to do that. Can you tell me what I need to look for to know that the PCV's are failing?

Old 05-18-2020, 09:46 PM
Updated initial posting to let searchers know the root cause of the issue.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:33 AM
Prefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant future
Owning airplanes for a few decades I've learned saying one thing is the problem - paying for it, then discovering that was not the problem but this other thing is - it's pretty commonplace. Having an item covered under warranty after maintenance, then that part fails and is replaced under warranty, you still get the labor bill which can easily be several hundred dollars. On my last few planes I made a deal with the shop - I'll pay my service and parts on the day I'm billed, but if it's not the actual problem - y'all pay it and if there is a part failed under warranty, the labor associated with the part is billed to the company making the part, maybe then, they will actually make better parts. Soon after, I developed a leak in the landing gear saddle on a P210 where the retractable gear pivoted. They took a glance and said, yeah, that happens - the part's over $5,000 and it's quite a bit of labor. After replacing the landing gear saddle the leak was still there - turns out it was an inexpensive O-Ring with not so much labor. They paid for the saddle and labor, and the next decade they were much better at diagnosing my problems and fixing them.

Old 08-13-2024, 07:01 AM
bosiarz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Calcifer33
Also, it looks like the fuel filters changed in Model Year 2008. Is it advisable to replace using these filters or the ones designed for my vehicle? Scuderia says the 08 parts fit my vehicle. Parts 6G33-9155-AB RHS and 8G43-9155-AA LHS.
Could you say which fuel filter did you used? I have 2006 Volante (LHD). I would like to order but I don't know which is suitable.

Old 08-13-2024, 11:03 AM
Argus has a spectacular aura aboutArgus has a spectacular aura about
All I can say is I feel sorry for you. All the money you spent only to have to spend more to finally get the car repaired. I say it over and over, a car in this price range should not have these kind of problems. But hat is just me.

Old 08-13-2024, 01:20 PM
sliderule01 is infamous around these parts
I would take my AM to Jon at Steel Wings. He has been working on my 2007 DB9 Volante, and has been excellent.

Old 08-13-2024, 04:53 PM
GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !GA_DB9 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bosiarz
Could you say which fuel filter did you used? I have 2006 Volante (LHD). I would like to order but I don't know which is suitable.
The 2008+ filter definitely does not fit pre-2008 DB9s without a bit of extra work. To do it without a "hack" you'd have to replace the filter, filter bracket, and pump at the same time. That's what I did on the RHS of my 07 and it all fit and works perfectly.