Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Replacing Coolant Expansion Tank - Hard?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2020 | 12:17 PM
|
Calcifer33 is infamous around these parts
Replacing Coolant Expansion Tank - Hard?

Hi again everyone. After finally figuring out my misfire issues it seems I have a coolant leak in my reservoir tank, which sits at the top of the engine bay on the left hand driver's side. In order to replace this part, is it a tough fix? Does all of the coolant need to be drained before replacing it? Appreciate any advice before I decide to throw more money at the dealership or tackle this myself.

Old 05-06-2020 | 12:23 PM
AM4884 is infamous around these partsAM4884 is infamous around these parts
You can do this...

You will want to drain the tank by siphon or when you remove the hose at the bottom of the tank. There is a connector on the bottom that you will need to disconnect and a couple of bolts. About 20 minutes of effort. @an hour if you are patient and careful!

Old 05-06-2020 | 12:36 PM
|
Originally Posted by AM4884
You can do this...

You will want to drain the tank by siphon or when you remove the hose at the bottom of the tank. There is a connector on the bottom that you will need to disconnect and a couple of bolts. About 20 minutes of effort. @an hour if you are patient and careful!
That's what I thought, as well. It seems too simple. If I choose to drain all of my coolant via the bottom drain plug and replace the coolant after a system flush during all of this, is it as simple as filling up the system again via the reservoir tank and letting the air bubbles work themselves out, without bleeding?

Old 05-06-2020 | 01:10 PM
07sportspack is infamous around these parts
I replaced the one on my DB9 about a year ago. I had to remove a cross brace covering the tank. I did remove (with a baster) most the coolant in the reservoir. Stuff some old towels under the tank, you will leak some coolant. The top hoses were easy the bottom a little more difficult. Be careful as there is a wired sensor on the bottom that inserts into the bottom of the tank. It's held in place with small plastic (molded) lips. Test your cap to make sure it was not the cause of the leaking. I replaced my cap. Don't rush, the bottom hose can be a bear to remove. Make sure your hoses are in good shape...or replace them if needed. Mine were ok.
Good luck!

Old 05-06-2020 | 02:09 PM
07sportspack is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 07sportspack
I replaced the one on my DB9 about a year ago. I had to remove a cross brace covering the tank. I did remove (with a baster) most the coolant in the reservoir. Stuff some old towels under the tank, you will leak some coolant. The top hoses were easy the bottom a little more difficult. Be careful as there is a wired sensor on the bottom that inserts into the bottom of the tank. It's held in place with small plastic (molded) lips. Test your cap to make sure it was not the cause of the leaking. I replaced my cap. Don't rush, the bottom hose can be a bear to remove. Make sure your hoses are in good shape...or replace them if needed. Mine were ok.
Good luck!
Forgot....all the metric bolts were easily removed and replace. Remember to just reverse your removal process as you get things back together. Make sure the clamps are good or replace them. Don't overfill the tank, I filled the tank 1/2 way & after the first use looked at it again and added a little more. Don't overfill!

Old 05-06-2020 | 09:24 PM
|
Originally Posted by 07sportspack
Forgot....all the metric bolts were easily removed and replace. Remember to just reverse your removal process as you get things back together. Make sure the clamps are good or replace them. Don't overfill the tank, I filled the tank 1/2 way & after the first use looked at it again and added a little more. Don't overfill!
Thanks for your help on this. It's interesting you say that though because the workshop manual says to fill it completely while cold. I imagine I need to burp the system a bit before the final cold top off. Isn't the reservoir that sits below this one designed for the overflow of this reservoir when it heats up?