Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage v DB9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2020 | 02:14 PM
|
Argus is a jewel in the roughArgus is a jewel in the roughArgus is a jewel in the rough
Vantage v DB9

I am ready to purchase an AM in the next few months and my problem is DB9 or Vantage V8. I have been following asking prices on both models for at least 2 years. I track the asking price but I don't have the final selling price however I know the selling price is lower than asking. The Vantage I looking for is a 2009 to 2013. I prefer a manual but a SS will not make or break my decision. As far as the DB9 goes a 2009 or 2010 fall within about the same price range as the 2009 to 2013 Vantage.
I have done all the right things about AM research, buying both editions of the AM buyers guide, search the internet go to Youtube and watch this site and others. I pretty sure I have a good handle on everything I need to know. I can service both cars except for the clutch replacement. Also I want a car in dark colors but silver or Goodwould green are ok interior is not an issue generally. Of course the service history. But cruise control and satellite radio are a must. But every car I have seen have these so I am not to worried. I plan to keep the car for awhile so I will not look to flip or anything like that.
I have set my price and will not go $1 over. By the way if anyone has a car for sale within the parameters mention please contact me.

Old 07-07-2020 | 02:41 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Consider what you are seeking in your Aston.

Vantage
  • More of a sports car
  • V8 (unless you go for the V12 variant)
  • SS is an automated manual, may have problematic clutch based on what I've seen posted here
  • is more of a sport car, DB9 is more of a grand tourer.
DB9
  • A grand tourer instead of a hard core sports car
  • V12. Does the cache of a V12 matter to you?
  • The automatic is a traditional automatic
I chose the DB9 because I wanted to experience the V12, and I wanted more of a grand touring car. Almost 9 years later I'm still happy with my choice.

Old 07-07-2020 | 02:59 PM
AM4884 is infamous around these partsAM4884 is infamous around these parts
Spend a couple of grand on a maxjax and the clutch and every other job on one is pretty easy. Multiple steps but the db9 many shift has no big show stoppers under the hood from a mechanical perspective.

Old 07-07-2020 | 09:21 PM
|
Argus is a jewel in the roughArgus is a jewel in the roughArgus is a jewel in the rough
I have to agree with 62 Jeff. I have always wanted a V12 AM. The Grand Tourer has a certain appeal. I have gone through 3 Triumphs, a Lotus Europe TCS, an Elise, a E- type, 3 motorcycles and race a Reynard FF1600 for 10 years. I sometimes feel my days of going fast are behind me. The DB9 lets me cruise around town but there is the performance when needed.

Old 07-07-2020 | 09:41 PM
sliderule01 is infamous around these parts
I bought a 2007 DB9. I looked at the Vantage and thought long and hard. While both are considered to be reliable, my concern was the clutch and the 5K+ attendant cost. I also wanted the V12. Since for me, at this point in my life, I wanted a touring car. It fulfills that mission well, and looks great besides

Old 07-08-2020 | 05:14 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
I like the vantage... I've never understood the 'touring' sports car's idea here in US... Most 'touring' in the US is interstates, where in EU, the ste still some nice roads to travel because distances are shorter. the back seat is essentially useless...V12 is nice but not necessary...added weight... The Vantage feels more balanced, nimble for me... granted, only drove DB9 twice on test drives a few years ago... longer wheelbase is nice on DB9, but that's what sedans are good for...

it's a personal decision

Old 07-08-2020 | 06:22 AM
Aston502 is infamous around these parts
If it's going to be a daily driver, go with the DB9. The Vantage is much harsher on a daily basis, although I did it for 5 years. I have a Rapide now and the difference in comfort is night and day.

Old 07-08-2020 | 06:43 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Have you driven both DB9 and Vantage? Both drive like an Aston Martin. Vantage is much sportier feeling, but both go around a corner might quick. If you're heavy on the gas, the DB9 is quite spirited. I'd go for a V12 iteration of whichever model you do pick.

Old 07-08-2020 | 04:37 PM
Prefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant future
Early on I had Lagonda's (3 of them) over the years when they were cheap (no more). I quit flying in 2006 and sold my A-36 which freed up funds to buy my first new Aston - a 2007 V8 Vantage with some special changes by Aston Works. The recession hit and I lost everything except my home and my business - but of the things I lost I missed the Vantage the most. In 2012 I started recovering and got a great deal on a certified 2009 Vantage (with 2 year warranty) with my first SportShift which when shifted as if a manual I enjoyed much more than the 6-speed. The 2007 pretty much was set up as a sports car - loud and involving. By 2009 the 'S' was an option and the Vantage I bought was not an 'S' and it seemed neutered - I softer handling and no noise. Just as the warranty was to go, I found a extremely low mile certified (again with 2 year warranty) 2015 V8 GT which was essentially the Vantage V8 S - but much cheaper - and again with an extended warranty for two years. When that warranty was about to end, I found a 2015 V12S that I could trade with only $25K difference - and again with 2 year timeless warranty. With the V12 it's far more 'special' - but the truth is the V8 GT was more fun to drive. To those that have followed me on this blog - essentially Aston Martin (and Napleton, Chicago) tried to pass of a track car as 'timeless certified' and when caught with the deception they exchanged the 2015 V12S with another hat had much lower miles, and one local owner which was flawless (at the expense of Aston Martin Corporate.) I drove that for almost two years (again I had the 2 year warranty), and traded that on a new 2017 V12S because I loved the silver with a tan interior which is rare on the V12S. Knowing what I know now, and looking back, I'd be better off financially if I had kept the 2015 V8 GT which I think was the ideal car and very visceral. The V12S is special, but in the long run, I would have been plenty happy with the V8 GT also.

Old 07-08-2020 | 04:39 PM
zuman has much to be proud ofzuman has much to be proud ofzuman has much to be proud ofzuman has much to be proud ofzuman has much to be proud ofzuman has much to be proud ofzuman has much to be proud ofzuman has much to be proud of
If you haven't driven an SS, make sure you do before committing to buy or buying online. You may love it, you may come to love it, or you may come to the conclusion that you are unlikely to ever love it.

Old 07-08-2020 | 04:55 PM
Prefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant future
Can you share what state you are located - maybe someone on this blog that might be near to you and have a sportshift can let you take it for a spin. I have a C8 on order and a friend of my son had one he lent me two evenings - the first evening I absolutely loved it - the second evening not as much. I think it fits the character of the car much better than an automatic would. I did drive two used DB9's (both 2007) before I bought my second V8 Vantage - both were somewhat neglected and I found the car more ponderous than the V8 - it might have been because they were a bit worn and seemed abused.

Old 07-08-2020 | 07:34 PM
Hybrid is infamous around these partsHybrid is infamous around these parts
Thanks Prefurbia, It's nice to hear a V12 owner stating that the V8 is more fun to drive. I test drove both Vantage V8 and V12 and came to the same conclusion. But most of the posts here and on 6 speed disagree.
As for Vantage -vs- DB9, though they look nearly identical, they are not very similar. One test drive will give you all you need to know...

Old 07-08-2020 | 09:02 PM
007JB is just really nice007JB is just really nice007JB is just really nice007JB is just really nice
You have to decide what kind of car you want? sport car or GT? as many mentioned here, V8 vantage is sporty, DB9 is very much GT.

Old 07-09-2020 | 03:07 AM
V12Stealth
Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Consider what you are seeking in your Aston.

Vantage
  • More of a sports car
  • V8 (unless you go for the V12 variant)
  • SS is an automated manual, may have problematic clutch based on what I've seen posted here
  • is more of a sport car, DB9 is more of a grand tourer.
DB9
  • A grand tourer instead of a hard core sports car
  • V12. Does the cache of a V12 matter to you?
  • The automatic is a traditional automatic
I chose the DB9 because I wanted to experience the V12, and I wanted more of a grand touring car. Almost 9 years later I'm still happy with my choice.
I thought only the 3rd gen DB9 (2015+) had a slushbox. The rest are the same AMT garbage as in the Vantage.

I disagree with the sentiment that a DB9 is a GT car and a Vantage is a sports car. I've had my DB9 on Thunderhill and it felt great! I could easily keep pace with the 911 GTSs in my class.

What is your budget?

I spent 3 years looking for a 1 owner 2009+ DB9 manual coupe. I have very mixed feelings about the car. I'm more a classic car person and own and have restored several. I find the DB9 quite uncomfortable for long trips. The seats are uncomfortable and the suspension is too stiff (I have the sportpack unfortunately) . The overhang in the front is too long so you scrape on almost every driveway. The manual, although much nicer and far more reliable than an AMT is quite clunky and the gear ratios don't make any sense. More tuned for James Bond chase sequences than to be used for regular driving (Try reversing up a slight incline with a manual DB9 and you'll see!).

But once in a while, when you've been staring at a computer screen all day working late, and you walk back to your car alone in an empty car park and you see that silhouette in the dark. You fire it up and the jewel like instrument cluster lights up (no stupid stuck on tablets in sight!). It feels special. It feels analogue. You get onto the highway and there is no traffic. You put the hammer down in 3rd and it takes you all the way up to 120mph. Things start to make sense. Skip shift to 6th and slowly idle your way home. Stupid cliches like Power, Beauty, Soul, suddenly have meaning again.

A DB9 manual is the last true dinosaur. Never again will we see a naturally aspirated V12, manual, rear-wheel-drive coupe again. It doesn't get much better than that.

Last edited by V12Stealth; 07-10-2020 at 03:46 AM.
Old 07-09-2020 | 08:54 AM
Hybrid is infamous around these partsHybrid is infamous around these parts
Hey V12 Stealth,
Have you driven a Vantage V8?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vantage v DB9