Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Would you: Get out of the Vantage and get into a C8?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 12:55 PM
I_gotta_Vantage is infamous around these parts
Would you: Get out of the Vantage and get into a C8?

I fell in love with the C8....

Should I let go of the Vantage for a C8?

Old 07-14-2020, 01:02 PM
TheDream829 is infamous around these parts
For the older Vantage no, for the new Vantage yes. Drive what you love! Cars are more the same than they are different.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by TheDream829
For the older Vantage no, for the new Vantage yes. Drive what you love! Cars are more the same than they are different.
I’m torn because I do want the bells n whistles with the HP right now and given the redesign of the vet, I feel like its a new exotic.. They are so rare right now (i’m sitting in it!) and Chevy will never get to production numbers in the next two years from what I have seen so I feel like its a good buy for $98K... 2LT...

Now... I do love my Vantage but I need more digital in the dash and these AM upgrades dont cut it...

Old 07-14-2020, 01:36 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Never. The C8 doesn't do much for me, nor does any Vette. Could care less how fast or how many palmares they win. A new Acura NSX would be heck of a lot more compelling for a state-of-the-art American made sports car with the last gen Viper as an American halo sports car as a close 2nd.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:51 PM
Prefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant future
I have a 2017 V12S which I really love - owe $58K on it, and with Covid, money is a wee bit tighter - was planning on having it paid off by now. In Minnesota my 2012 SLK55 was my 'winter car' with Blizzaks on it. Originally the C8 I ordered with LT2, the front lift, and wing - $73K total was to replace the SLK55. With Covid, and less income, I traded the SLK55 on a Buick Encore GX with all the options (lease) saving $250 a month. The C8 won't arrive till September at the earliest - and I was considering selling the V12S and paying cash for the C8. I drove a C8 one evening - a friend of my sons... at first I was extremely impressed - drives 'small', in other words it shrinks around you. Very nice ride and initially handling similar to the V12S - no noise unless you push it, Wold be quicker than a V8, but was not as powerful feeling as the V12S. With the electronic mirror (which I got used to with my Buick), the rear visibility was no problem. After that evening I was leaning towards the C8 as a V12S replacement. Then my wife wanted to ride in it, So the next evening we took it out again. This time it did not seem to drive as well, and I started really being aware of the plasticy interior. The bridge between the seats acted as a wall between passenger and driver, and with more time in the car I became less enamored. My wife who was not so happy with me trading a 2015 V12S which was pristine with zero issues on a 160 mile 2107 V12S (and associated extra debt), said I should keep the V12S and that I'd quickly become bored with the C8 after having the Aston. So unless the economy tanks - looks like I'll be keeping the Aston, but I still have the C8 active order as a back-up. Also be aware, the orange C8 I drive - every body panel was a slightly different shade of orange - if you can live with things like that, its something to be aware of.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
Never. The C8 doesn't do much for me, nor does any Vette. Could care less how fast or how many palmares they win. A new Acura NSX would be heck of a lot more compelling for a state-of-the-art American made sports car with the last gen Viper as an American halo sports car as a close 2nd.
I was a “nor does any vette” guy too until I spent the weekend with the C8 and got to drive a mid engine... Its like Chevy spent a summer with Enzo.... cheesy but lots of italy showing up in the design...

Old 07-14-2020, 01:52 PM
BTW..

I know im asking AM purest to depart AM for the C8 which wont happen so

“would you even add the C8 to your collection if you could?”

Old 07-14-2020, 02:37 PM
TerenceC is infamous around these parts
I experienced my first C8 yesterday.. Black on black, parked in a grocery store parking lot (so my "experience" was limited to looking at it from 10 ft away).

Incredible car! Gorgeous from every angle!

I won't be giving up by Vantage, but it definitely might be time to trade my 10+ year old 911....
I no longer purchase new cars (burned TOO MANY times) so in 2-3 years, when used C8's are readily available and trading in the $60's it would be a strong consideration...

Old 07-14-2020, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
I have a 2017 V12S which I really love - owe $58K on it, and with Covid, money is a wee bit tighter - was planning on having it paid off by now. In Minnesota my 2012 SLK55 was my 'winter car' with Blizzaks on it. Originally the C8 I ordered with LT2, the front lift, and wing - $73K total was to replace the SLK55. With Covid, and less income, I traded the SLK55 on a Buick Encore GX with all the options (lease) saving $250 a month. The C8 won't arrive till September at the earliest - and I was considering selling the V12S and paying cash for the C8. I drove a C8 one evening - a friend of my sons... at first I was extremely impressed - drives 'small', in other words it shrinks around you. Very nice ride and initially handling similar to the V12S - no noise unless you push it, Wold be quicker than a V8, but was not as powerful feeling as the V12S. With the electronic mirror (which I got used to with my Buick), the rear visibility was no problem. After that evening I was leaning towards the C8 as a V12S replacement. Then my wife wanted to ride in it, So the next evening we took it out again. This time it did not seem to drive as well, and I started really being aware of the plasticy interior. The bridge between the seats acted as a wall between passenger and driver, and with more time in the car I became less enamored. My wife who was not so happy with me trading a 2015 V12S which was pristine with zero issues on a 160 mile 2107 V12S (and associated extra debt), said I should keep the V12S and that I'd quickly become bored with the C8 after having the Aston. So unless the economy tanks - looks like I'll be keeping the Aston, but I still have the C8 active order as a back-up. Also be aware, the orange C8 I drive - every body panel was a slightly different shade of orange - if you can live with things like that, its something to be aware of.

Good feedback! Yea, I hear you on the biz front... this isnt a what to do with my money issue... its a C8 distraction from whats on going on...

So what did you think of the electronic dash etc? Its the future....

Old 07-14-2020, 02:52 PM
SLVRon is infamous around these parts
I'll tell you what I tell everyone else who looks at the Corvette vs. other similarly performing cars. A couple of years ago the Science Channel (I think) was doing an all day series of their 'ultimate factories' show and they had the Corvette episode followed by the Ferrari Modena factory. After watching those back to back it was very clear why Ferrari's are so much more expensive From the use of liquid nitrogen baths to prep bolts, to the paint process, to the effort that goes into interiors etc. it was pretty eye opening. You would definitely appear to get what you pay for, from both manufacturers in this case. Unless cheap speed is your primary motivator, I think you would miss the Vantage.

Old 07-14-2020, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by TerenceC
I experienced my first C8 yesterday.. Black on black, parked in a grocery store parking lot (so my "experience" was limited to looking at it from 10 ft away).

Incredible car! Gorgeous from every angle!

I won't be giving up by Vantage, but it definitely might be time to trade my 10+ year old 911....
I no longer purchase new cars (burned TOO MANY times) so in 2-3 years, when used C8's are readily available and trading in the $60's it would be a strong consideration...
Did you know right away it was a C8? What were you “surprised” to see once you saw the car? Example: how short the front length is? I saw it across an intersection my first time and thought it was a 2020 458....

Old 07-14-2020, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by SLVRon
I'll tell you what I tell everyone else who looks at the Corvette vs. other similarly performing cars. A couple of years ago the Science Channel (I think) was doing an all day series of their 'ultimate factories' show and they had the Corvette episode followed by the Ferrari Modena factory. After watching those back to back it was very clear why Ferrari's are so much more expensive From the use of liquid nitrogen baths to prep bolts, to the paint process, to the effort that goes into interiors etc. it was pretty eye opening. You would definitely appear to get what you pay for, from both manufacturers in this case. Unless cheap speed is your primary motivator, I think you would miss the Vantage.
Oh yea, its got alot of Camero & C7 parts on the chassis... 4 piston brakes all around brembo with tiny, non slotted rotors... 19’s in the front and 20’s on the back... it slides to a stop... 👎🏽

I dont want to ... my Vantage:
Cat deletions to get the growl
Modify the dash for carplay
Upgrade my ASM clutch - mine grabs very well..

C8
Like flying a glass cockpit
Has more growl than the AM.. Hell, our vacuum has more growl than a Vantage.... 😝
has the 0-60/2.7

scared that the value will drop too low in the next 18/24months
service, service, service .... “Sir, the part wont be in until Nov... Yes, both parts sir..”

Old 07-14-2020, 03:30 PM
You guys got me up and down the ladder.... I get nothing but love with my V8V so I haven’t started parking it outside overnight next to the Jeep JK.. LOL

I’m scared the third date wont go so well and I will see her flaws...

Me: Getting a PPI this week...

Old 07-14-2020, 04:06 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
A Chevy is not an exotic... $98k Corvette is a good buy...? really?

look out 3 to 5 years... where will a Chevy be...?

Old 07-14-2020, 05:00 PM
ccfulton is infamous around these parts
As a sports car and what it is capable of, the C8 competes very well against far more expensive alternatives. And surely the depreciation on a Chevy will be less than an AM, in both total dollars and as a fraction of purchase price.

But would I trade a Vantage for a C8... no probably not. You don't get into an AM to be the fastest guy on the block, there are far cheaper and easier ways to get speed and noise and technology. You have an Aston Martin because it is something special and different.

But if you have an itch to try something new, then try it. Cars are an expensive hobby but a C8 is far from the most expensive way to enjoy that hobby. And you can always find another Vantage if after a few dates the relationship doesn't pan out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Would you: Get out of the Vantage and get into a C8?