Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2014 Rapide S Navigation Map Update Process

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 10:52 AM
lastofhiskind is infamous around these parts
2014 Rapide S Navigation Map Update Process

Hello. This post is to document my experience updating the navigation map database on my 2014 Rapide S. If you're reading this post there's a good chance you just bought one of these cars and did a search because you're interested in doing the same thing. I am here to help you, my friend.

First some background. To the best of my understanding the MY2010-11 Rapide has a totally different DVD-based navigation system made by Volvo. I can't help you with that but I believe there are posts that address using a Volvo update disk in your Aston so you can go search for that. Starting, I believe, in MY2012 Aston started using an off-the-shelf Garmin navigator called the GVN 54. This device has 4GB of flash memory containing the map data loaded when the car was manufactured. There is probably a way to update the maps contained in that internal memory but you can also install an SD card containing revised maps and that's what I'm documenting here. (If you're not familiar with SD cards they are the memory cards most typically used in digital cameras. The GVN 54 uses regular size cards (about an inch long) but you can also use a Micro SD if you have an adapter.) There is a technical specification sheet for the GVN 54 https://assets.componentsense.com/images/datasheets/57044_2_50fb61ba5b14518bba3f7890100beb44.pdf]here(PDF) but it's primarily useful for showing a drawing of the device so you can recognize it. I know that Aston Martin revised the navigation system again at some point but I don't know the model year when that happened.

The first step is to acquire an SD card with map data in the correct format and you've got (at least) three options for this.

First, you can buy it as a service part from your Aston Martin dealer. I was quoted US$740 for this, a price so outrageous that I'm actually offended.

Second, you can buy a data card from Garmin. The product you want is "City Navigator NT" on the SD Card format. The part number for this with the North America map database is (as of this writing) tel:010-11551-01]010-11551-01 and is available for purchase https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/1456/pn/010-11551-01]here for about US$100. This is the option I chose. I believe Garmin releases a new version every year. (The map data actually comes from a company called Here but Garmin sells it.)

Third, you can download free map data from the Open Street Map project and load it onto an SD card. There is a good thread that documents that process https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1673371]here. Note that, https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=6MZKeiKOSO5P47S643rrq6]according to Garmin, the GVN 54 supports SD cards with a maximum capacity of 8 GB (class 2 to 10).

The next step is getting physical access to the navigation unit. In my (left hand drive) car it is located under the left rear passenger seat. It might be flipped to the other side for right hand drive cars but I doubt it. You'll need to first gently peel up the rear footwell carpet. It's held down with industrial strength velcro along the sides. Start at the rear and use your finger to help separate the velcro as required. There's no need to entirely remove it, you only need to lift enough to expose the two bolts holding down the (vertical) kick panel to gain access to the volume under the seat. The bolts are Torx T30. The kick panel is actually very stiff carpet and you can bend it up a little bit to get into the under seat volume. It's tight but moving the front seat all the way forward helps.

The navigation unit is maybe 5 or 6 inches wide. The front of it is a full-width door you can open. It might be a little stiff and hard to open, mine was, but there's a little tab for you finger. Once open you'll see the SD card slot; it's horizontal and right in the middle. It should go in with a little click. If required you can push it again to release the card.

Test before you close everything back up. Turn on the ignition and see if the navigation system is using the revised maps by checking the map version dates. My card wasn't recognized at first but a quick eject and reinsertion seemed to fix it. Once you're confident that everything is working close the lid, bolt the kick panel back down, and press the carpet back into the velcro patches. You're done!

The whole process is actually pretty straightforward. The challenging part for me was figuring out all the information I've spelled out for you here and now you won't have that problem. Don't put up with out of date maps!

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 08-15-2020 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:40 AM
Aston502 is infamous around these parts
Nice write up, thanks