Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 vantage killed car when starting with trickle charger attached

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 12:46 PM
mgreenbl is infamous around these parts
V8 vantage killed car when starting with trickle charger attached

Hi

i had my trickle charger attached to the red battery terminal in the engine bay and had the black lead attached to the engine block. I disconnected the trickle charger from power, but still kept the trickle charger attached to the car.

them I had the great idea to start the car with the trickle charger attached. I think it made a brief sound then completely dead. No sound, lights, nothing

any thoughts? Hoping it is a fuse and not a computer. I checked all the fuses in the engine compartment and they looked ok.

attached is a list of fuses from the manual

Old 10-10-2020, 03:02 PM
Vantagelvr is infamous around these partsVantagelvr is infamous around these parts
Check the battery reset button . It’s either in the trunk next to the 12V socket or behind the driver seat .

Old 10-10-2020, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Vantagelvr
Check the battery reset button . It’s either in the trunk next to the 12V socket or behind the driver seat .
there is a battery reset in the trunk but because I lost all power, can’t open trunk

does the battery reset act like a fuse? Trying to figure out how this switch would trip automatically

Old 10-11-2020, 05:37 AM
Vantagelvr is infamous around these partsVantagelvr is infamous around these parts
The battery reset button is like a circuit breaker .
If you can get in the car then access the battery with a voltmeter and check the voltage . You maybe able to access the trunk through the car and get to the emergency trunk release handle .

Old 10-12-2020, 09:44 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
My battery reset button is behind the right hand seat. I have noted that I have to hold it in for a few seconds for it to activate. If that doesn't do anything hook up a battery booster to the posts (+/-) under the hood and try to open the trunk lid with the chrome button.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:25 PM
V8Vdrew is a jewel in the roughV8Vdrew is a jewel in the roughV8Vdrew is a jewel in the roughV8Vdrew is a jewel in the rough
Sorry to hear. Any luck with getting your Aston back online? Did the battery reset work for you?

I had just come across this in my manual.

Old 10-17-2020, 03:18 AM
Originally Posted by Vantagelvr
The battery reset button is like a circuit breaker .
If you can get in the car then access the battery with a voltmeter and check the voltage . You maybe able to access the trunk through the car and get to the emergency trunk release handle .
I tried initially to get the trunk panel out from the inside but didn’t see an obvious way to do that

Old 10-17-2020, 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by BMW-North
My battery reset button is behind the right hand seat. I have noted that I have to hold it in for a few seconds for it to activate. If that doesn't do anything hook up a battery booster to the posts (+/-) under the hood and try to open the trunk lid with the chrome button.
I will look behind the seat. As soon as I originally started car, there was a sound then everything went dead. It was not from the battery being dead because it was fully charged. There is a disconnect between the battery and rest of car

Old 10-17-2020, 09:40 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Have you actually checked or verified a known good healthy battery? A bad cell would describe your issue and a battery conditioner plugged in for months would not fix it. Battery reset on the panel behind the passenger seat is only on 2006. 2007 on is via ignition switched input. If I was closer to LA I would gladly help you out.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:52 AM
Pmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nice
To OP. That makes no sense to me. As you described, you disconnected the power to your charger/ monitor and just left the hook ups to + and - , correct? On my Porsche, i have the Ctek charger wires permanently attached to + battery and - to body bolt. That way i just connect when car is not used for any period of time. Never had an issue leaving the wires attached. Lots of folks leave the monitor charger wires on. Must be something else going on. Did you look at the wires after that they didn’t ground out on something?