Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

MY09 Vantage soft top inoperative

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 11:11 AM
Mephillips2 is infamous around these parts
Question MY09 Vantage soft top inoperative

I had the tonneau cover propped up while troubleshooting the audio system fiber optics. When it came time to release the tonneau it worked fine for raising the soft top up. However, now the system is completely inop, also now the passenger door windows won't operate. I did pulI the battery out to check and clean all ground connections. I used a Memory Saver to retain all the settings. I pulled all of the soft top fuses and left them out over night but still not working. I have propped the tonneau cover up before and not had this problem. Is there a procedure that I failed to follow? I also have both seats out of the car while all of this is going on.
The reason for going through all of this disassembly is because my infotainment system just quit working while out for a drive. Everything is dead, radio, bluetooth, cd, gps. Any ideas for this would be helpful. All assistance is much appreciated.Thanks

Old 10-23-2020, 01:04 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Roof control module will cause those symptoms.

Old 10-23-2020, 03:02 PM
61mga is infamous around these parts
don't rule out the possibility that the soft-top and the infotainment problems have a common source. of course, as usual, i have no idea what is causing either problem.

...such is the state of automobile (and other) engineering these days with more and more bells and whistles being controlled by software written and designed by disparate groups within a company without full knowledge of the consequences of their actions on the whole, so as to create a monster of inter-dependencies that absolutely no one anywhere can fully explain. there was a time when a five-year-old could explain and demonstrate how to open the door of every automobile in existence.

Last edited by 61mga; 10-23-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:01 PM
07sportspack is infamous around these parts
You mentioned you pulled the battery out. Why? the roof control module may have not functioned properly if the battery is not up to standards. I'd make 100% sure the battery was preforming in all conditions including under a load. If it were me, I'd replace the battery if anything was questionable with it or it is more than 3 years old. It is smart to check the connections but Astons hate poor preforming batteries. Once you have 100% comfort that the battery is good ( or you replaced the old one), reset the memory stuff. Replacing the roof control module without ruling out having a bad battery could be costly. Good luck!

Old 10-23-2020, 10:03 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
You do not have to replace the roof control module, simply disconnect it and see if your issue goes away.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:16 AM
Mephillips2 is infamous around these parts
MY09 Vantage soft top inoperative

Thanks for all the comments.The battery is brand new but I wanted to be sure that all of the grounding points were clean. I'll try the disconnect the CRM method. I don't relish the thought of taking it to a dealer (I have a very low opinion of them), but I might have to. I'll keep at it.

Old 10-28-2020, 05:21 AM
JL_MPLS is infamous around these parts
Check the owner's manual too. I recall reading something about leaving the roof partially open for an extended period of time requiring a specific process to return to normal operation. I'm not at my car now so can't check for you. Good luck!

Old 10-28-2020, 10:57 AM
LotusJPS is infamous around these parts
I had this happen once and was able to resolve it by putting the top all the way up manually (have to wait until the hydraulic pressure is released), and latching it using the allan wrench. After that it worked perfectly normal again (and that was about 3 yrs ago).

Old 07-15-2021, 12:52 PM
PaperBoy has much to be proud ofPaperBoy has much to be proud ofPaperBoy has much to be proud ofPaperBoy has much to be proud ofPaperBoy has much to be proud ofPaperBoy has much to be proud ofPaperBoy has much to be proud ofPaperBoy has much to be proud of
Did you resolve this?