Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin Lamp Build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 08:47 PM
V8Vdrew is a jewel in the roughV8Vdrew is a jewel in the roughV8Vdrew is a jewel in the roughV8Vdrew is a jewel in the rough
Aston Martin Lamp Build

A few weeks ago, I came across a post from a local member who had rebuilt his motor. He gave me a piston and rod, and I decided to build an Aston Martin Lamp!
Thanks to AM4884 (aka Larry) for the souvenir. Sourced from a DB9 6.0L V12.

I time-lapsed the entire build and it can be found here:

Old 10-25-2020, 09:36 PM
Mike Gray is infamous around these parts
That's the coolest thing I've seen today! Well done.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:20 PM
eskanday is infamous around these parts
Andrew, this is very cool.
love the idea and it is so nice to see that AM engine part everytime you turn on the light!

Old 10-26-2020, 07:02 AM
V8Vdrew is a jewel in the roughV8Vdrew is a jewel in the roughV8Vdrew is a jewel in the roughV8Vdrew is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Mike Gray
That's the coolest thing I've seen today! Well done.
Thanks, Mike! It was a lot of fun to build with my son.

Originally Posted by eskanday
Andrew, this is very cool.
love the idea and it is so nice to see that AM engine part everytime you turn on the light!
Agreed, it does make me smile everytime I turn that light on. If we find another, I got you!

Old 10-26-2020, 07:14 AM
Aston502 is infamous around these parts
Nicely done 👍

Old 10-26-2020, 03:08 PM
AM4884 is infamous around these partsAM4884 is infamous around these parts
Nicely done!

I am going to show my wife and see what she thinks about a set for the living room!

Old 10-26-2020, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Aston502
Nicely done 👍
Thank you!

Originally Posted by AM4884
Nicely done!

I am going to show my wife and see what she thinks about a set for the living room!
If my math is good...tou should have enough for 5 sets. Thanks again for sourcing one.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:36 PM
Here is an update, threw some Aston wings on the shade and put them in the living room. Can't decide if I want them on the Whiskey Barrel on the Buffet.....

Old 10-26-2020, 04:45 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Nicely done!

As an aside, I can't help wondering if a AM wheel center cap would fit in the crank end bearing space without too much modification?

Old 10-26-2020, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by DonL
As an aside, I can't help wondering if a AM wheel center cap would fit in the crank end bearing space without too much modification?
This blew my mind. I was so intrigued, that I climbed out of my warm bed to check. The center cap is approximately 2.75" and the space is approximately 2". But man, I like the way you think. If it was close, I would have loosened the 11mm bolts and raised it a little, and maybe tack welded?

Old 10-27-2020, 07:14 AM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
It's the reverse side that's important!

Your dedication inspired me to trudge into the garage early this morning and remove a cap from one of my spare rims.
The OD of the cap is larger than the mounting ring diameter on the back side.
The diameter of the plastic locking ring assembly is just about 2"...looks to me that it would be an easy installation; remove the metal ring and go from there.
Might not have to do any modifications to either to make it work other than removing the indexing tab...maybe just some additional filing/removal on the other 5 plastic tabs, and then some silicone to keep it in place?
There used to be several different finishes available on the caps; silver, black, anthracite, carbon fiber...take your pick!

Last edited by DonL; 10-27-2020 at 07:26 AM. Reason: clarifications
Old 10-27-2020, 10:34 AM
MAUMAU is infamous around these parts
As usual Andrew, you are always thinking!

From giving us depreciation tables to Aston lamps, you are a true renaissance man.

Old 10-27-2020, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by DonL
Your dedication inspired me to trudge into the garage early this morning and remove a cap from one of my spare rims.
The OD of the cap is larger than the mounting ring diameter on the back side.
The diameter of the plastic locking ring assembly is just about 2"...looks to me that it would be an easy installation; remove the metal ring and go from there.
Might not have to do any modifications to either to make it work other than removing the indexing tab...maybe just some additional filing/removal on the other 5 plastic tabs, and then some silicone to keep it in place?
There used to be several different finishes available on the caps; silver, black, anthracite, carbon fiber...take your pick!
Love it. We can keep motivating each other. I will source around to see if I can get my hands on a CF cap. I have some other things taking my money hahaha. Just ordered all-weather Aston mats and getting the car wrapped in ppf.

Originally Posted by MAUMAU
As usual Andrew, you are always thinking!

From giving us depreciation tables to Aston lamps, you are a true renaissance man.
Thanks, Rob. I do love the Aston community. How was Maine? Shoot me an email, I'd love to hear about how your trip was!