Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Veneer tool

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2021 | 07:46 PM
|
Andyb1217 is infamous around these parts
Question Veneer tool

Is anybody familiar with this tool and what it does? In every video that I have watched about removing this piece they have shown how to remove the 4 clips with a trim tool, but none have mentioned anything about this tool and what it actually does. I obviously don't want to go prying the veneer up and breaking the whole thing. Work is being done on a 2015 V12 Vantage S.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Andyb1217; 02-22-2021 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-23-2021 | 09:03 AM
V12AM is infamous around these parts
I’ve used it a few times to remove the ski slope.
It’s basically a hook that fits into a slot, located inside the air vent. The tool must be inserted into the third vent down. Once in position you can very carefully pull the facia forward.

Old 02-23-2021 | 09:45 AM
bavarianstance is infamous around these partsbavarianstance is infamous around these parts
Yes, that is the proper tool to remove the waterfall panel without damaging the leather. Using plastic trim tools to pry it from the sides WILL damage the leather and/or the waterfall panel itself.

Old 02-23-2021 | 11:48 AM
V12Stealth
There are dozens of generic looking trim removal tools like this on ebay

Old 02-23-2021 | 01:54 PM
|
Andyb1217 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by V12Stealth
There are dozens of generic looking trim removal tools like this on ebay

Thank you for answering my next question. I was curious if it was AM specific or if there were others.

Old 03-24-2021 | 07:12 AM
slkret123 is infamous around these parts
I may be faced with removing the veneered bezel in a 2006 DB9. Is the slot mentioned earlier present on a 2006 car? Do you need to use the tool on both sides? If so do you need 2 tools to enable pulling both sides at the same time?
Steve

Old 03-24-2021 | 09:44 AM
bavarianstance is infamous around these partsbavarianstance is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by slkret123
I may be faced with removing the veneered bezel in a 2006 DB9. Is the slot mentioned earlier present on a 2006 car? Do you need to use the tool on both sides? If so do you need 2 tools to enable pulling both sides at the same time?
Steve
you can unclip the clips one at a time. So only one tool is needed in theory. All early VH / gaydon era Aston Martins have the same type of bezel and release mechanisms.

Old 12-13-2022 | 02:00 PM
VantageAston is infamous around these parts
Thanks for posting this info guys!

@V12AM and @bavarianstance - do you have any specific pointers for a V8VS 2012? The only videos I see online show the screen veneer being detached before remove the panel but as I understand it on the later (2011+) vantage, the screen is glued on not held with clips so the entire nav screen comes out when you remove the waterfall.

can anyone confirm? And is there a technique or any specific tips for removing the waterfall? I have piano black which apparently cracks really easily.

Old 12-14-2022 | 03:55 PM
a102768 is infamous around these parts
If it is anything like the Garmin unit on my '11 Virage it will look like this when it comes out and yes the screen cover stays attached.

I have taken mine off a number of times to try and track down rattles and also recently replaced the waterfall due to pre-existing cracks from all 4 corners of the screen aperture.

What seemed to work for me was, with the screen open, grip the veneer below the aperture and tug gently. I could see the bottom of the veneer starting to move so was then able to get a trim remover behind it and pop the two retaining clips.

It then pulls away at the top and you can unscrew the retaining strap and remove all of the electrical connectors. After doing it the first time I found that I can actually just tug to get the veneer loose, no trim tool needed.

The cracking got no worse doing this so seems pretty safe, probably because the backing is metal so you aren't actually flexing anything.

Old 12-14-2022 | 09:35 PM
IJWS is infamous around these partsIJWS is infamous around these parts
I was looking at replacement ski slopes for my 2014 V8V and saw a bunch of descriptions describing the backing as being metal. I have the piano black lacquer. Is that just a thin veneer on top of metal? I would love to know since I want to repair mine--not replace it.

Old 12-15-2022 | 04:15 PM
a102768 is infamous around these parts
I believe so. This is the side profile of mine, veneer on top, metal frame below:

Old 12-16-2022 | 09:27 AM
VantageAston is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by IJWS
I was looking at replacement ski slopes for my 2014 V8V and saw a bunch of descriptions describing the backing as being metal. I have the piano black lacquer. Is that just a thin veneer on top of metal? I would love to know since I want to repair mine--not replace it.

You’re correct - the piano black fascia is actually a think piece of wood that’s attached to a thin back plate that then attaches to the metal sub frame.

Here’s a video that explains:

It’s apparently actually cheaper to send it to those guys in Poland than it is to buy a new PB fascia.

Old 12-19-2022 | 02:48 PM
IJWS is infamous around these partsIJWS is infamous around these parts
Thank you for the responses. This will be the next cosmetic issue that I address.

Old 12-21-2022 | 08:40 AM
Marmot
I have still not figured out where the detent is in the vents. Gave up looking after an hour, and I have the tool that is supposed to work.

Old 12-22-2022 | 11:54 AM
surfin146 is infamous around these parts
If you have one of the late model waterfalls with a metal back then just open the nav screen, grab the bottom of the open hole and pull hard. The waterfall will come out. I posted some pictures in the thread below:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...5-vantage.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Veneer tool