Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Looking to purchase first aston

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 01:29 AM
ADMF is infamous around these parts
Looking to purchase first aston

Hi guys

Im looking to purchase my first aston martin. Currently theres a 2010 Vantage V8 on my watchlist. Do you think its a bad move to purchase 10 year old aston martin? Anything in particular I should pay attention to before pulling the trigger (maintainence, cost, reliability, etc)?

Thank you

Old 03-17-2021, 05:04 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ADMF
Hi guys

Im looking to purchase my first aston martin. Currently theres a 2010 Vantage V8 on my watchlist. Do you think its a bad move to purchase 10 year old aston martin? Anything in particular I should pay attention to before pulling the trigger (maintainence, cost, reliability, etc)?

Thank you
look thru forum. redpants website has good videos on what to look for and maintenance requirements... get a PPI from dealer or shop that knows Aston

clutch is big ticket item...I bought my Aston 4 years ago, had 22k miles Ann's needed clutch. otherwise car was well maintained.

I have 2009.I think the 2009 2010 cars represent great value... newer engine, interior, classic lines...

Old 03-17-2021, 06:38 AM
61mga is infamous around these parts
In 2019 I bought a 2007 vantage with 11,000 miles on it (original tires!). The thermostat is the only thing that really needed fixing. That's not to say I haven't done a few other things to it that didn't really have to be done! How long it had been sitting idle, I didn't know, but the very next day without so much as checking the windshield wiper fluid, I set out on a 6000 mile jaunt across the country and back, from the east bay of central California to Ohio and back. ...never had a problem. Just a few irritating false flags from the instrument panel that were safely ignored.

Still haven't had any problems other than a wheel balance issue that's been plaguing me recently.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:14 AM
MAUMAU is infamous around these parts
Absolutely nothing wrong with purchasing an older Vantage as long as it has been properly maintained.

If you can find a qualified Independent Garage that is very familiar with Aston’s, that would be my first choice for a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection). Second choice would be Aston Martin Jakarta. Getting a quality PPI is very important and can save you much aggravation and expense.

Having lived in Southeast Asia in the past I am familiar with the heat and humidity. Pay special attention to the headlights and taillights for condensation. There are aftermarket kits for condensation in the headlights but not for the taillights (although some have drilled holes to allow the moisture to dissipate) Both are very expensive to replace. In the US, the headlights are $5400 EACH.

The link below was prepared by V8VDREW and I used his checklist when I purchased mine. The print on the checklist is small so you may have to enlarge it.

Best of luck in your search and keep us updated.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...st-pt-1-a.html

Old 03-18-2021, 07:12 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I'd put the Vantage is same category for reliability and cost to own as a 911 or maybe a touch more expensive. Not sure if that helps or not.

Old 03-18-2021, 09:16 AM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
Buy this book, it covers all models and was really useful for me when I purchased mine. As a side note, mine is 9 years old and all I've have to do is service her (Vantage S).

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-19-2021, 10:22 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
other than the thermostat and door struts my 2010 has been pretty flawless in 4.5 years of ownership, just consumables like oil, brake stuff and tires is all I have needed

Old 03-19-2021, 12:49 PM
Yorick is infamous around these parts
I bought a 2009 V8V in 2013 with 7000 miles on it. It now has almost 38000 miles and the only unscheduled service during my 31,000 miles and 8 years of ownership has been the replacement of one of the TPMS sensors. It's way too far to the nearest Aston dealership but I've managed to keep it serviced and maintained to factory-recommended standards with the help of a local professional and very competent mechanic. I've had a few British cars in the past and was never impressed with their reputation for lack of reliability and freedom from breakdown. The V8V has actually turned out to be one of the most reliable and trouble-free vehicles I've ever owned. Wish you the same good fortune with whichever Aston you end up purchasing.

Old 03-19-2021, 07:32 PM
kdm
kdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of light
Our 2007 Vantage manual just rolled over 43,000 miles today. We bought it about 4 years ago with 28, 000 miles. Only nonscheduled maintenance was the thermostat when we first got it, door struts and then the 2 upstream ( pre cat) O2 sensors at 31,000. Still on original clutch which seems to going strong.
Almost forgot, did have 1 taillight die due to condensation after a heavy rainstorm so took that as a sign to replace both with the clear style ones

Last edited by kdm; 03-19-2021 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:12 PM
61mga is infamous around these parts
wondering if drilling a small hole would fix it... if it works, would seem preferable to two or three thousand investment in tail lights.

Last edited by 61mga; 03-19-2021 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:18 AM
usera is infamous around these parts
Just bought one for my dad, 2010 with 6K miles. I have done all of the 1/2/5 year service on it due to lack of maintenance records. One of the easiest cars to work on. I feel like I will always have a Vantage in the garage, so pretty and so much fun to drive. Just don't ask me about wheel stud clearances......

Old 03-20-2021, 06:39 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Most just learn to live with the condensation. I thought the condensation had a lot to do with how the tail lights were installed?