Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin Vantage v8 sportshift 2012 model

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 03:10 AM
Humaid001 is infamous around these parts
Aston Martin Vantage v8 sportshift 2012 model

Hi guys, my 2012 vantage v8 sportshift is having an issue. Basically the car won’t start and the lights on the dashboard are all on (position 2 before start). The car won’t crank. I need to move the car out of my garage due to some work going on in my house. There’s a message in the instrument cluster saying gearbox fault reduced function. It battery and the fuel pump is okay. And when i insert the key in it’s place there appears to be red light around it. This never happened before as the car was running fine 2 days ago. The mileage on my car is 3800 miles.

Old 05-09-2021, 07:15 AM
MAUMAU is infamous around these parts
Old 05-09-2021, 05:53 PM
I_gotta_Vantage is infamous around these parts
1st question... hows the battery? Good amps?

push the key in to light up dash.
pull both paddles back (should move to N)
foot on brake - slowly push key all the way in to start car..

If it starts, wait until N stop flashing.. then select gear to move car.

You might have to disconnect battery for 10 minutes so the car can re-learn itself...

Old 06-22-2022, 08:19 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Congratulations! I know how you feel about these wonderful cars. I've had mine from new in 2009, the fulfillment of my Aston Martin dream. I love it just as much all these years later as I did the day I got it. Enjoy!

Old 06-22-2022, 09:03 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Look underneath the rear for a fluid leak, SS II like to leak fluid from the hoses. So no fluid can cause no shift into N to start.

Old 11-28-2022, 02:41 PM
Advantage Dean is infamous around these parts
@Humaid001 Am I right in thinking that you haven't got a fault code reader that you can plug in? Those little OLED warning messages in the DIM (Driver Information Module) a.k.a. the instrument cluster, aren't very detailed, but you should have at least one DTC logged in the Magneti Marelli AMT Selespeed transmission control unit ("Sportshift", "ASM", etc, are just Aston Martin marketing speak). The AMT Selespeed transmission control unit uses the industry standardised SAE DTC format, so you should have a code in the following format "Pxxxx". If you can connect a fault code reader to the OBD port under the drivers side dashboard and read it off, then with that code I can point you in the right direction. Obviously I don't have the car here in front of me and so I'm not even going to attempt to make even a guess, as to what the problem is.

Old 11-29-2022, 05:27 AM
61mga is infamous around these parts
... I don't have the car here in front of me and so I'm not even going to attempt to make even a guess...
wish i had that kind of self-control. would have saved me a lot of embarrassement on more than one occasion.

Old 11-29-2022, 12:38 PM
Advantage Dean is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 61mga
wish i had that kind of self-control. would have saved me a lot of embarrassement on more than one occasion.
Hahaha, I can appreciate that. I'm sure you know what I mean though. Without being "hands-on", it's difficult to know exactly what the problem is and so as much information about the problem as possible is needed. In my humble personal experience the Oerlikon Graziano GT-ME1 transmission isn't too bad and on its own is quite reliable, it's the Magneti Marelli AMT Selespeed transmission control unit that is the most troublesome. When I was at Gaydon and doing software flash-programming, it wasn't unknown for a AMT transmission control unit to fail whilst having it's initial software programmed. The list of potential DTCs and problems with them is big. The software/checksums can get corrupted, the CANbus transceivers can fail, the PCB itself can degrade, etc, etc.