Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

coolant sensor on the fritzzz

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2021 | 08:25 PM
|
61mga is infamous around these parts
coolant sensor on the fritzzz

coolant sensor went belly up. when the instrument cluster lit up like a christmas tree requesting that i stop the car IMMEDIATELY! due to overheating, i, at first, believed it to be true but when i eventually removed the radiator cap and was not inundated with scalding hot coolant i realized my car was lying to me once again... anyway i'm not prepared to go gently into that good night and pay the exorbitant price AM wants for the part and am asking anyone if know of an alternate source. i suspect a chevy cruze or ford fiesta or skoda or something also have temperature sensors and that aston neither designed nor built nor spec'd a bespoke one for their own purposes. so i'm thinking there should be thousands out their on other cars and new ones at reasonable prices.
i suspect, but may be wrong (again!), that it's a pretty simple task to replace it and will probably be attempting to do it myself.

Last edited by 61mga; 06-10-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-09-2021 | 10:03 PM
AM4884 is infamous around these partsAM4884 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 61mga
coolant sensor went belly up. when the instrument cluster lit up like a christmas tree requesting the i stop the car IMMEDIATELY! due to overheating, i, at first, believed it to be true but when i eventually removed the radiator cap and was not inundated with scalding hot coolant i realized my car was lying to me once again... anyway i'm not prepared to go gently into that good night and pay the exorbitant price AM wants for the part and am asking anyone if know of an alternate source. i suspect a chevy cruze or ford fiesta or skoda or something also have temperature sensors and that aston neither designed nor built nor spec'd a bespoke one for their own purposes. so i'm thinking there should be thousands out their on other cars at reasonable prices. i might even buy a used one if necessary.
i suspect, but may be wrong (again!), that it's a pretty simple task and will be attempting to do it myself.

On my DB9, the coolant sensor is up front on the top of the block. Removing it revealed a FoMoCo part #, which I replaced at Amazon or Advance Auto for 20-30 bucks... As always, YMMV!

Old 06-10-2021 | 02:00 AM
|
61mga is infamous around these parts
that sounds like good news! i guess i'll removed it and see what's what. thanks.