Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Reliability???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 08:53 PM
OnePunch has much to be proud ofOnePunch has much to be proud ofOnePunch has much to be proud ofOnePunch has much to be proud ofOnePunch has much to be proud ofOnePunch has much to be proud ofOnePunch has much to be proud ofOnePunch has much to be proud of
Aston Reliability???

For most of my life, I idolized Aston Martins, and dreamed of one day owning one. Business successes later in life have afforded me the ability to purchase pretty much whatever I want, but like the old adage says, "be careful what you wish for".

Perhaps its too much of a generalization, but my question to the group is this: As a whole, would you consider Astons to be reliable, or not so much?

I ask this because I bought a used Rapide, with about 13,000 miles on it, and it has been one thing, after another, after another. No exaggeration, I have put more miles on it driving it back and forth from the dealership for service, then I have put on it driving recreationally. Window modules, battery, nav module, center stack module, door struts, now an SRS service air bag light, and condensation in the taillights, and on and on. It seems every time I drive this car more than 5 miles, it costs me 3 grand in repairs. I have a Bentley Continental GT Speed, and a Bentayga W12 for almost 2 years now, without a single issue. Same for my recently acquired 488 Spider. But this Aston is a non-stop nightmare.

I really like the looks of the Rapid AMR, but truthfully I'm terrified to buy another Aston at the moment. And I dont feel like the one I have was abused or neglected or anything. The service records did not indicate anything out of the ordinary, and the car looked like it just rolled off the showroom, inside and out.

So how often do you find yourself needing repairs? And do you notice a domino effect, where one repair seems to trigger 2 more a month or 2 later?

Thanks......

Last edited by OnePunch; 06-17-2021 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:03 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
I drive a vantage previous gen …in 11 years and 36000km its cost me tires, a new clutch (known weak point) and a thermostat… the serpentine belt started to squeak at 19000km and I replaced that along with the idler pulley.
I have replaced break pads and coolant …..all that said when I go into my garage and look over my cars as old as it is with its outdated interior it’s still a car I want to own …no 911 or Galardo or previous gen lambo has captivated me as much as the lines of the Aston.

In my opinion the faults it’s had are small compared to the years and ownership joy it has brought me

Old 06-18-2021, 02:39 AM
leman600 is infamous around these parts
I've been lucky enough to own several now from 2007 up to 2013 and all have been extremely reliable. No major component failures at all but a couple of minor gremlins. Some minor gremlins in an Aston can be annoyingly expensive but sometimes good detective work and correct diagnosis can save many pounds/dollars.
I've never spent money on a warranty and I've never had any work done other than at yearly maintenance time. (About 1.2k pounds per year on average over 8 years on 4 cars)
I think you've been really, really unlucky where as I have been really lucky but closer to my experience from chatting and forums etc is more the norm.
Hope you go for it and have a great experience.

Old 06-18-2021, 06:55 AM
61mga is infamous around these parts
all struts on all cars fail at about the same rate AFAIK and batteries too. can't say i've had any modules go bad though. the only parts that have actually failed have been the thermostat ($25) and a coolant sensor ($50).

remember dealerships don't pay service employees to find ways to make it less expensive to own your car. and the markups on AM OEM parts are ridiculous. it wouldn't be so bad if they limited their outrageous prices to the bespoke aston-designed parts (doors, fenders, hoods and interior) that actually ARE worth the money but it galls me to pay an aston-omical price at the dealership for the same part that can be found around the corner at NAPA in a Ford Motorcraft box.

Old 06-18-2021, 08:45 AM
OnePunch has much to be proud ofOnePunch has much to be proud ofOnePunch has much to be proud ofOnePunch has much to be proud ofOnePunch has much to be proud ofOnePunch has much to be proud ofOnePunch has much to be proud ofOnePunch has much to be proud of
Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, I know that things go bad on used cars, regardless of how they were maintained. I guess I'm more annoyed that after I bought it I went ahead and had a full PPI done to correct any and all flaws the car might have. And at that point, if it had cost 10 or 15 grand to fix everything, then so be it. I could live with that just fine. But this drip, drip, drip, death by a thousand cuts method is aggravating. 2 grand here, 4 grand there, another 2 grand here, another 3500 there, and so on. And the additional hassle of having to deal with drop off, pick up, etc.

I want to be able to just get in and drive it without wondering "ok whats going to break THIS time?"..........

Old 06-18-2021, 09:43 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OnePunch
I want to be able to just get in and drive it without wondering "ok whats going to break THIS time?"..........
Honda Toyota...NSX, LC 500

Old 06-18-2021, 11:52 AM
Yorick is infamous around these parts
I got a 2009 V8V manual with 5000 miles on the odometer 8 years ago. I had owned British cars before and know that their reputation for terrible reliability was well earned. But I guess I got lucky because in the last 8 years I've had to go in for unscheduled service only one time, replacing one TPMS battery. I'm at 40.000 miles and no clutch problems. Thankfully the engine is manufactured in Germany and it's bulletproof. In the future I wish you the same very good fortune I've had with my pre-owned AM.

Old 06-18-2021, 12:02 PM
convexproblem is infamous around these parts
FWIW, I got my 06 V8V recently but the previous owner had a terrifying amount of service done under warranty, including several latches/locks, door panels, various modules, and several oil leaks including the front timing cover, but the last 9 years of service records seem to indicate a reasonably reliable car. I've had to replace the alarm module, and the remote trunk release doesn't work, but otherwise the car seems to work (there are some quirks like cruise control sometimes refusing to turn on and the AC turning on by itself when the car is started without the button lighting up). I don't exactly expect this car to be trouble free and reliable, but I'm really hoping nothing goes terribly wrong.

Old 06-18-2021, 01:22 PM
Hybrid is infamous around these partsHybrid is infamous around these parts
OnePunch,
First, that green Bentley is ROCKIN'.
Second, there is a chance you'll get a bad Aston Martin.
I'm one of the lucky ones. 2011 V8V with 63,000 miles and very few problems for a 500 hp track car / daily driver.
Best to avoid falling in love with it too quickly so that you can sell it if it's "one of those".

Old 06-18-2021, 01:23 PM
oo7
oo7 is infamous around these partsoo7 is infamous around these parts
Not going to win a popularity contest for disclosing this... 1st gen vantage was designed and produced under Ford and were required to meet Ford QC and pass myriad tests. I suggest you speak to as many 4.3 owners as possible and draw your own conclusions.

Old 06-18-2021, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Yorick
I got a 2009 V8V manual with 5000 miles on the odometer 8 years ago. I had owned British cars before and know that their reputation for terrible reliability was well earned. But I guess I got lucky because in the last 8 years I've had to go in for unscheduled service only one time, replacing one TPMS battery. I'm at 40.000 miles and no clutch problems. Thankfully the engine is manufactured in Germany and it's bulletproof. In the future I wish you the same very good fortune I've had with my pre-owned AM.
Your post reminded me that I also had to replace all 4 TPMS sensors........lol

Old 06-18-2021, 04:42 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
I have had four Aston’s now. First was a 2009 V8Vantage with a Sportshift and had no problems other than an alarm module. Second was a 2008 V8Vantage with a manual absolutely no problems. Third was a 2017 DB11 no problems. And now I have my dream a 2016 V8Vantage GTS with a manual. I have only had it for a month but can only imagine that it will be trouble free. They are extremely well built cars and should be something that you would be proud to own. Oh I almost forgot they are the most beautiful cars on the road and are a lot of fun to drive.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:19 PM
Sydney V8V is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

Bought 2 007 Vantage in early 2017 with over 75,000 miles/125,000Ks and never had a problem with it. This year fitted VAP GT4 headers and 100 cell cats and Xpipe and VAP ECU update . and it just howls. Have VAP coil springs for fast road work and twin plate clutch will be fitted later when clutch wears out. Love it.
So bought 2004 Vanquish two years ago , and had only to change pump on gear selector. otherwise , reliable .and am very happy.Will fit BR high lift cams and headers & cats and BR ECU update later when virus over and Mike answers his emails or phones.

Old 06-20-2021, 08:54 AM
JJbing is infamous around these parts
Sounds like you've bought a dog ( it happens), as other posters have said sell and move on, if the brand hasn't been tarnished maybe dip your toe in a newer better model which may have less age related costs.

My experience of Aston has been pretty good and most people I know would say the same, british built is normally higher quality excluding JLR cars.

Old 06-20-2021, 10:10 AM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
into my 5th year of ownership (2012 V8VS) and nothing outside of routine maintenance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aston Reliability???