Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

coolant temperature sensor location

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2021 | 12:51 AM
|
61mga is infamous around these parts
coolant temperature sensor location

i'm trying to replace the coolant temp sensor on a 2007 4.3l aston martin vantage v8. for the life of me, i can't find it on the engine. i've spent hours trying to find a definitive picture (in situ) of it and have come up empty. the exploded diagram in the parts manual (part# 6G33-37-10772) is somewhat vague. it looks like it may be around and under the thermostat housing. anybody ever had it out and actually know where the darn thing is? any help would be appreciated. thanks.

i'm at my wit's end! i'm so desperate that i'm contemplating entering the "hall of shame" and taking the thing to a legitimate aston mechanic like Robbie over on the S.F. penninsula (god forbid) or something...

...time passes....

found it! it's located (probably screwed into) the underside of the "tube-assembly water outlet" part #6G33-8A520-AK. it's completely hidden from touch and view underneath the manifold intake. it's centered there, completely hidden from view. i suspect i will be removing the manifold to get at the thing. there is a possibility that removing a small 3/4" (?) coolant line that sits tight against the manifold COULD provide some access. but don't want to chance it in that it would involve a 'fer sure loss of coolant.

it turns out i'm not going to remove the manifold. job's too big and my days of chasing down manifold air leaks are over... robbie over at peninsula foreign auto service in san mateo is doing it. the cost of the part or fixing a short in the harness are insignificant but they'll be a few hours of labor involved... oh well. too bad it's not the intake manifold air sensor (very similar). it's so easy to get at one could hand an adjustable wrench to a five-year-old and hold them up in the air over the engine compartment while they unscrewed it for you.

time passes again...

got the car back from the shop. sensor was fine. had to remove coolant crossover pipe to get at sensor (involved a coolant flush and gaskets) but that didn't really resolve the problem because the sensor was okay. soooo... had to remove the intake manifold to get at the wiring harness to the sensor. all in all about six hours of labor, plus assorted gaskets, coolant, etc. i take partial blame for gently pressure washing the engine compartment...

Last edited by 61mga; 07-14-2021 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-23-2022 | 01:52 AM
Stuttgartant is infamous around these parts
2008 V8 Temperature sensor issue

Glad you got it done! Im having the same issue. What did the pressure wash do to the wiring exactly? And how was it fixed?

Old 06-23-2022 | 09:00 AM
|
61mga is infamous around these parts
the problem was that the connector to the coolant sensor was loose, and that it took 5-6 hours of labor to reconnect it. i only mentioned the pressure washing because i had lightly pressure washed the engine compartment just prior to its coming loose.

what are your symptoms? mine involved a temp gauge that would at times be pegged on the high side, at others not register at all and then intermittently work normally. in addition, there were a few erroneous dash lights informing me that the engine was overheating.

BTW, the air conditioning will not work (will turn on but blow hot air) if the coolant sensor is indicating an overheating situation.

Old 06-23-2022 | 11:46 AM
Stuttgartant is infamous around these parts
2008 V8 Temperature sensor issue

Thanks for the info! I got it started this morning after replacing starter fuse #15 25A. I put the battery pack on the battery itself but Car continued to Click once each time for numerous attempts before starter finally began to crank the engine and ultimately started up.

The 2 symptoms may or may not be correlated but about 6 weeks ago I noticed the temp gauge would fluctuate randomly after about 15 minutes of normal driving in 48-90 degree random NYC weather but never overheated, also I would have intermittent starting issues where I hear 1 click and no start but would ultimately start after about 3-4 attempts.

I performed the normal troubleshooting procedures like pressing key fob to make sure alarm was not interfering. Also bought a Noco gbx45 booster to assist in providing additional charge to battery. Ultimately I replaced thermostat at my shop with help from my cousin who works on all my cars with me. We see it was stuck open. I Purchased it from my local parts authority and It was a jaguar part for like 50 bucks. The gauge issue did reappear and I a week ago caused temp to go red. No damage as I immediately turned the car off and waited to cool then drove home Where its been parked till the No start issue happened.

After the installation we confirmed successful completion By leaving the car running with radiator cap off and topping off coolant then capping to ensure successful operation we then power washed engine compartment and used degreaser. Could be I caused connection issues to starter and/or temp sensor. Maybe lol