Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage S Pad Life

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 10:37 PM
Cobra66 is infamous around these parts
Unhappy Vantage S Pad Life

Hi Guys, I have a 2011 Vantage S (which has been fantastic in every way) - Two services & 7,000 Klm's ago I had all Rotors & Pads replaced - very expensive exercise but goes with the territory. At my last service, days ago I was told I will soon need new rear pads? I did over 15,000 Klms on the pads that were on the car when I first purchased it almost 4 years ago and they were not new at that point? Odd I think and I spoke to the tech who tells me Vantage's supposedly have a strong rear brake bias and wear out rear pads much faster then fronts? I have not changed my driving habits even slightly and this all seems very strange. Has anyone had a similar experience or an opinion on the expected range for genuine rear pads?

Old 08-05-2021, 09:34 AM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
I believe the rear brakes are used in the traction control system. so, if your driving like you stole it that could be the reason. I have a V8Vs and have over 10000 miles on my rear brake pads.

Old 08-09-2021, 03:17 PM
8Tech is infamous around these parts
Its very easy to check your own rear pads with a torch through the wheel. It is a great money spinner to just keep fitting pads, great profit margin and takes minutes to do so often reported very early. Complain that you want to make a warranty claim on the excess wear rate on the pads and see if they are so keen. I would get a second opinion, and if they are wearing that fast, try an alternative pad supplier.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:22 AM
Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
I was told I needed new pads, bought some from RedPants and replaced them myself in a shirt time.

Of course the old pads were nowhere near worn out, but am happy with the Porterfields regardless....

I would check them before replacing them.

Old 08-23-2021, 07:22 AM
61mga is infamous around these parts
i would suspect that whomever told you the pads were wearing out after 7000km was mistaken. IMO, they were either trying to scam you or are incompetent and possibly looking at the rear PARKING brake pads which are much narrower to begin with. there's no better armor to defend oneself from being scammed by someone than your own knowledge and experience.

i have recently changed for the first time, the pads, front and rear, on a vehicle (not and aston) with 80,000 miles on it that i bought new in 2001. the pads still had about 20,000 miles on them. now to be fair the OEM pads on my vantage were so soft and the material ablates at such a rate that i couldn't even get home from the car wash before they were covered in dust. they were an abomination. i swapped them out and and haven't noticed any significant brake dust from them since. but even so, IME it's practically impossible for them to show significant wear after 7000km of normal driving.

Last edited by 61mga; 08-23-2021 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:48 AM
07sportspack is infamous around these parts
Get a second opinion from someone who you trust or someone/a shop recommended by someone who knows cars, AND you trust.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:49 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
You need to consider that the OEM rear pads start out life at 7mm , fronts are 9.5mm in thickness material. I wouldn't replace pads until the wear sensor has brought up the message on the instrument pack to do so. When that comes on you have 2mm remaining. So 5mm of range, and it's not much.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:39 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
28k on orginal rotors (f & r) and still have plenty of life... replaced pads in 2019 with porterfield and great stopping power and less dust... spirited driver but I do not track, not alot of highway driving