Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Merc suspends AMG engines for 2022

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 02:02 PM
sf911c2 has a spectacular aura aboutsf911c2 has a spectacular aura about
Merc suspends AMG engines for 2022

Interesting article on Merc AMG about suspension of all AMG engine cars using M177 engine (same as Aston). All existing 2022 orders are canceled. If confirmed not sure what this means for Aston as they use M177...Maybe they go back to the prior NA engines

"MBAG has prioritized its focus to comply with various global, external and internal requirements, as well as several other factors, including but not limited to, challenges in the supply chain that have an impact on the product portfolio offered in the U.S. market."

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/mercedes...134800691.html

Old 08-17-2021, 04:45 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Isn't that just for US spec vehicles? AM engines are 2 model years behind the current AMG ones, so maybe that would not apply? Nobody knows what could happen next... right?

Old 08-17-2021, 05:36 PM
LuvBurninFuel is infamous around these parts
It says engine V8 coded M 177 to be suspended, and "The English automaker puts the M 177 in the Vantage, DB11, and DBX."
"

Old 08-17-2021, 05:56 PM
sf911c2 has a spectacular aura aboutsf911c2 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Isn't that just for US spec vehicles? AM engines are 2 model years behind the current AMG ones, so maybe that would not apply? Nobody knows what could happen next... right?
No specifics on Aston implications or if US only but it's the M177 code so not sure what "2 yr behind" has to do with it...In any event if this correct I'm guessing 75-80% of astons are V8's so this would be brutal if Aston can't get most of their engines...Aston is walking a financial high-wire so this certainly won't help...time will tell..

Old 08-17-2021, 06:36 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
They have different components between Vantage 2019 vs a 2021 DBX. The AMG technology is only available to AM 2 prior years as its parts/ build go. The base 177 may be the same but the agreement is model years cannot compete between the brands. Plus I'm not buying one anytime soon.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:33 PM
volvodrummer is infamous around these parts
The source cited is.... drum roll..................... a Reddit poster, who's Mercedes dealer told him that their '22 orders were converted to the new powertrain. We're to trust this as gospel? It certainly doesn't mean that all M177 V8s are cancelled. I'm sure Aston's supply agreement is fine. It's not like they can just drop the new hybrid powertrain into the Vantage chassis as-is.

Now, what this might mean, is that the planned '23 refresh might be something we hoped would take a few more years. Let's hope not.

Old 08-18-2021, 12:01 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Someone should ask AML on their LinkedIn feed. Maybe the Inline 6 is going to be reality? Ferrari released a V6.

Old 08-18-2021, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
Someone should ask AML on their LinkedIn feed. Maybe the Inline 6 is going to be reality? Ferrari released a V6.
Unless Moers was doing some major misdirection in interviews, I think the in-house 6 is a dead project. According to TM it wasn't very far along in development and would've cost too much to finish.
That said, this rumor is making me wonder what's under the hood of that test car spotted with the center exhaust?

Old 08-19-2021, 12:30 PM
I_gotta_Vantage is infamous around these parts
A week ago... He talks about the MB relationship...

Old 08-19-2021, 06:55 PM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe we will see Honda engines ... they proved what they can in F1.

Old 08-20-2021, 11:16 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cuddapah
Maybe we will see Honda engines ... they proved what they can in F1.
Maybe Mercedes will manufacture a bespoke engine for AML? I don't see that partnership fracturing at all. Mercedes is expected to buy AML at some point down the road once Stroll makes it worthy for Mercedes acquisition.

Old 08-20-2021, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
Maybe Mercedes will manufacture a bespoke engine for AML? I don't see that partnership fracturing at all. Mercedes is expected to buy AML at some point down the road once Stroll makes it worthy for Mercedes acquisition.
Agreed. Moers stated in interviews that he was shocked that previous AM management didn't ask for more bespoke changes when the supply of M177 started, and intimated that he would be doing so. I'm not worried about an AMG V8 being supplied to AM for at least another 2-3 years.

Old 08-21-2021, 05:56 AM
embdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud of
Aston Martin’s supply of Mercedes engines not affected.

Old 08-21-2021, 06:02 AM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
Old 08-21-2021, 08:49 AM
Argus has a spectacular aura aboutArgus has a spectacular aura about
I wonder if this will apply to AM? MB controls 35% or so of AM. It will be interesting to see what happens. AM can’t seem to move the cars they have now so I wonder what will happen?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Merc suspends AMG engines for 2022