Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DIY CRM Encapsulation - save your roof module before it's too late

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 09:28 AM
acole is infamous around these parts
DIY CRM Encapsulation - save your roof module before it's too late

So as I'm sure any convertible owner has read, the Convertible Roof Module (CRM) tends to go bad over time. Mine was replaced just before I purchased the car, and I didn't want to go through the process of replacing it myself as that requires dealer programming, etc. I think the primary reason they go bad is due to the location of the CRM (directly above the rear wheel in the wheel well) and the fact that the module is just a circuit board sandwiched in a plastic clamshell with no vibration or moisture protection. To help protect the board, I encapsulated it using MG Chemicals 832B. There are lots of different potting compounds out there, but this one is specifically made for it, has a wide operational temperature range, and it's available on Amazon... The process is pretty easy, just pop the CRM out (inside the rear passenger (LHD) wheel well liner), open it up, seal up the holes, and pour in the encapsulating epoxy. Let it sit for 24hr, then reinstall. This should hopefully protect it much longer than stock.

Convertible Roof Module (CRM) before disassembly

CRM disassembled

Two locations need to be sealed before pouring in the potting compound, these locations are obvious once you have it opened.

CRM all sealed up. I used a combination of gum tape and resin tape.

CRM all sealed up from the inside

Before the pour. I used MG Chemicals 832B, only about 3oz is needed.

After the pour, you need to let it sit for ~24hr at room temp to harden.

Make sure you put the lid back on before it hardens, that way the potting compound hardens only where it needs to. You probably won't be able to get it back apart after this.

Old 11-08-2021, 10:34 AM
AM4884 is infamous around these partsAM4884 is infamous around these parts
Great idea and thanks for the amazon link. You are likely right and I will follow your lead!

Old 06-18-2024, 01:33 AM
Varulvenn
Before I bought mine, the previous owner had just replaced it, but I knew I needed a plan to make it last longer. I opted for MG Chemicals 832B to encapsulate it, following a DIY guide. The process was straightforward—pop out the CRM, seal it with epoxy, and voila! It's a relief knowing I've fortified it against moisture and vibrations. If you're into simplifying things like I am, consider checking out sugar crm. It's been a lifesaver for me, keeping all my customer info organized effortlessly. Plus, it's adaptable across devices, which suits my busy lifestyle perfectly.

Last edited by Varulvenn; 06-27-2024 at 03:51 AM.
Old 06-19-2024, 05:20 AM
sweet991S
Some months ago, one of our dear Forum members suggested a very simple "fix" to obviate the need for epoxy, etc. Just re-route the wiring harness up thru the right rear of the trunk (Roadster) and then relocate the Roof Module in that area. You may have to move the factory Tire Inflator thing (it's likely expired anyway!) and just tuck in the Module there. Easy-Peasy! Thoughts?