Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Remote wont work, 07 vantage says "key in ignition"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 05:34 PM
TarHeelVantage is infamous around these parts
Remote wont work, 07 vantage says "key in ignition"

Well, I came out to the car yesterday and opened the door- the alarm siren went off, and the key fob wouldn't turn the alarm off. I tried to turn the car on using the key, and that worked fine. Alarm turned off, car started. I got to my destination, and when I took the key out of the ignition, I got the "key in ignition" warning, and the stereo stayed on when I opened the door. The key fob wont do anything (yes, I tired replacing the battery), and as of now I'm stumped. Any ideas on what to do?

Old 12-13-2021, 04:09 AM
bavarianstance is infamous around these partsbavarianstance is infamous around these parts
It sounds like the ignition lock tumbler for the key may be defective. Maybe try spraying some wd40 in it and cycling the key in the ignition few times? good luck

Old 12-13-2021, 05:57 PM
TarHeelVantage is infamous around these parts
thanks, gonna give it a shot!

Old 04-13-2022, 07:52 AM
dreamcars is infamous around these parts
I have the same problem, any resolution?

I have a 2011 rapide and it's doing the same thing. What fixed yours ?

Old 12-06-2022, 09:18 AM
VantageAston is infamous around these parts
Sorry to revive this from the dead but did you guys ever get this resolved?

My ‘12 Vantage is giving me the error message of “key in ignition” when the glass key is no longer in the dash/ignition meaning I can’t remote lock the car and effectively neither of my fobs work (it won’t allow you to lock the car if it thinks the glass key is still in the ignition).

can anyone help?

Old 12-06-2022, 04:54 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Best cheap solution is to disconnect battery overnight first then try a new battery... do you have something to read the modules?

Old 12-07-2022, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by MRCW
Best cheap solution is to disconnect battery overnight first then try a new battery... do you have something to read the modules?
Thanks. I disconnected the battery for 5 mins and charged it as it was 0.5v lower than I’d like and the battery is less than a year old but no change.

would overnight make a difference?

I have the FORSCAN OBD usb tool, I’m wondering if I can use it with other software like thinkdiag?

Old 12-07-2022, 02:27 PM
Advantage Dean is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by VantageAston
My ‘12 Vantage is giving me the error message of “key in ignition” when the glass key is no longer in the dash/ignition meaning I can’t remote lock the car and effectively neither of my fobs work (it won’t allow you to lock the car if it thinks the glass key is still in the ignition).
This is a problem with the key docking station and is actually quite common. It needs to be removed, carefully dismantled and inspected.
I have the FORSCAN OBD usb tool, I’m wondering if I can use it with other software like thinkdiag?
Not as far as I know, no. The hardware and software on both the Fordscan and ThinkDiag is proprietary, so they're not compatible.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Advantage Dean
This is a problem with the key docking station and is actually quite common. It needs to be removed, carefully dismantled and inspected.
thanks so much. This is what I was thinking - do you have any other info or links to how people solved it? My AM dealer doesn’t like to fix things, just replace and the part alone over $1200. I could easily be looking at $2k all said and done for what might be just an unlubricated switch.

The forscan tool (no D) is a 3rd party generic but high quality OBD scanner. Then some guys decided to make their own software (Forscan) and that’s the one they recommend for their software. I’m wondering if there’s a generic software (without proprietary scanner) for Am’s?

Old 12-08-2022, 07:17 AM
UNDRPSI has a reputation beyond reputeUNDRPSI has a reputation beyond reputeUNDRPSI has a reputation beyond reputeUNDRPSI has a reputation beyond reputeUNDRPSI has a reputation beyond reputeUNDRPSI has a reputation beyond reputeUNDRPSI has a reputation beyond reputeUNDRPSI has a reputation beyond reputeUNDRPSI has a reputation beyond reputeUNDRPSI has a reputation beyond reputeUNDRPSI has a reputation beyond repute

The forscan tool (no D) is a 3rd party generic but high quality OBD scanner. Then some guys decided to make their own software (Forscan) and that’s the one they recommend for their software. I’m wondering if there’s a generic software (without proprietary scanner) for Am’s?
Quick point of clarification, Forscan is the software package developed to interface with and modify software systems of some Ford vehicles. The software relies on any number of compatible generic OBDII cables, though the Forscan community has identified some that work better than others. As has already been mentioned, ThinkDiag and similar have proprietary hardware, and generic cables generally will not work.

Old 12-08-2022, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by UNDRPSI
Quick point of clarification, Forscan is the software package developed to interface with and modify software systems of some Ford vehicles. The software relies on any number of compatible generic OBDII cables, though the Forscan community has identified some that work better than others. As has already been mentioned, ThinkDiag and similar have proprietary hardware, and generic cables generally will not work.
Thanks, that’s what I was getting at and asking - is there any software for Aston Martin that allows you to use any decent OBD usb tool. Apparently not as thinkdiag has their own proprietary tool.

Old 12-08-2022, 11:34 AM
61mga is infamous around these parts
i know what the ODB port's for, but not sure i understand what it is you're looking for, but...

i bought a foxwell (can't remember the model number, sorry) with the aston software package. it uses the standard ODB port. it can communicate with most of the computers on the car and modify some stuff.

Old 12-09-2022, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by 61mga
i know what the ODB port's for, but not sure i understand what it is you're looking for, but...

i bought a foxwell (can't remember the model number, sorry) with the aston software package. it uses the standard ODB port. it can communicate with most of the computers on the car and modify some stuff.
I’m just asking if there’s any 3rd party AM software that you can use with a generic OBD usb tool.

anyway, that’s not my main concern, I’m really just trying to find out what the fix is for “key in ignition”
error.

Old 12-09-2022, 11:42 AM
thanks so much. This is what I was thinking - do you have any other info or links to how people solved it? My AM dealer doesn’t like to fix things, just replace and the part alone over $1200. I could easily be looking at $2k all said and done for what might be just an unlubricated switch.
As I mentioned before, if you remove from the dashboard centre stack, there's some anti-tamper screws that can be removed carefully, and then it can be cleaned very carefully. As you said correctly, it's a very expensive part and here in the United Kingdom it's £800, which is just ridiculous...

Old 12-09-2022, 11:45 AM
Thanks, that’s what I was getting at and asking - is there any software for Aston Martin that allows you to use any decent OBD usb tool. Apparently not as thinkdiag has their own proprietary tool.
No, is the short answer I'm afraid. As far as I know, there's no aftermarket diagnostic software for the VH-platform cars, that can be used with generic USB OBD hardware.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Remote wont work, 07 vantage says "key in ignition"