Need help with buying a V8 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2022 | 08:27 AM
|
msrp is infamous around these parts
Need help with buying a V8 Vantage

Hi all,

Good morning and glad to be here. I’m in the market for a used V8 Vantage and I’ve found a few good listings here near NYC. I’m looking for an older model, for around 60 grand or less. Here’s what I’ve got:
https://preowned.astonmartin.com/pre...vantage-coupe/

https://preowned.astonmartin.com/pre...tage-roadster/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...paign=atempest

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/1...paign=atempest
What do you guys think, are these worth looking into? Is there anything Aston-Martin specific I should ask about? I’d be glad for any help.

Thanks,
-Matt

Last edited by msrp; 02-15-2022 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-15-2022 | 09:30 AM
Import has a spectacular aura aboutImport has a spectacular aura about
Always start with full service history…paperwork is king….and an Aston dealer should…should..be selling a sound and thoroughly checked car..

Old 02-15-2022 | 09:36 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
The two that are from Aston dealers should give you some level of confidence. I'd ask to have a face time with the car on a lift. Look for oil leaks around the time chain cover and anywhere else.

The black one is at my local dealer. They don't resell crappy Aston's FWIW.

Old 02-15-2022 | 10:21 AM
WhiteMountain is infamous around these parts
I have had my 2006 V8 Vantage for 3 years now and love it... just crossed over 21K miles.

This one would be my top choice of the 4 - Would recommend taking to an Aston Martin dealer for a prepurchase inspection
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...aign=atempestc

Old 02-15-2022 | 10:34 AM
Argus is a jewel in the roughArgus is a jewel in the roughArgus is a jewel in the rough
YouTube has plenty of AM information by Redpants, AM1936 and Bamford Rose. Some might be for DB9 but there is plenty of cross over info.

Old 02-15-2022 | 12:07 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
How about throwing your hat in on this auction?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...v8-vantage-58/

Old 02-15-2022 | 01:45 PM
Prefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant future
The one just showing up on auction is interesting - buying from an AM dealer is safest, but no guarantee. I purchased a 2009 about 6 months ago from Aston Martin San Diego - did the paperwork, loan, everything - done deal, but they were waiting for a pulley. The pulley cam in and the engine still made a knocking sound and they said they needed to undo the sale as the next step was an engine breakdown, so they were going to wholesale the car instead. If I bought from Joe Blow Sales, I'd be saddled with a$25K engine replacement. In the end I bought from Fairfield Jaguar who sent pictures which avoided showing scratches from car washes over 100% of the car, a grill with vertical pieces missing and wavy (they also carefully avoided those shots), the dreaded tail light leak even though they said the lights had no condensation, and I asked them to video the bottom for any seepages and leaks which they sent a video - avoided the areas that seeped. In all, the paint cost me $3,500 to fix (including ceramic and xpel), replacing the grill ($1+K), i'll live with the seepage (common), and will probably seal the tail lights myself before I bring it out this spring. It was very upsetting that a Jaguar dealer miss represented the car, I would have expected better. To get the car right I'll have 10K in it (with custom work of course).

Old 02-15-2022 | 07:54 PM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
Def ask to see if the front main seal has been replaced. Best on your search!

Edwin

Old 02-15-2022 | 08:05 PM
|
Thanks for all the help!
Definitely keeping an eye on the auction, great that it just came up when I'm looking.
I'll be sure to ask about the front main seal. I'll have a PPI before buying. Anything else like that to be aware of?

Old 02-15-2022 | 10:22 PM
dyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud of
Check for timing cover gasket leak. It was a $7k repair that was done on the car before I bought mine.

Old 02-15-2022 | 10:29 PM
Tom_Boy is infamous around these parts
Hey Matt, it’s an easy one for me. My choice would be the top one; the black/tan six speed manual. I think that’s the one you would be the happiest with. As long as all the service and PPI check out, I think you would be OK. Make sure the tires aren’t more than four years old, the doors trunk and hood stay open, and no issues with TPMS system and no leaks underneath. Check the headlights and tail lights for moisture, that’s 90% of the battle in my opinion.

Old 02-16-2022 | 12:11 AM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Matt, do you have a Coupe vs Roadster preference? Manual vs Sportshift?

The black Coupe is at Aston Martin Long Island. They're my dealer. I've known them since they opened in 2005, and I bought my '09 V8V new from them. They're a great dealer imo, run by true enthusiasts, and the service is excellent. I saw that car briefly. Although it was outside and drizzling, from that quick look it appears to be a very nice car.

Old 02-16-2022 | 12:55 PM
|
Just went to see the black/tan one at Long Island. Looks like a great option, they sold it and have serviced it at the same dealership, and have records dating back to the sale. New tires, recently replaced the machinery that keeps the doors open, no moisture in the lights. They said I can have it on a lift before buying, so I can check for leaks, wear, etc. Leather looked great too, and of course the car drove great.

Is it a good price? The one in Maryland is $43k, around the same mileage and clean too. Maybe not this clean though, I haven’t gone to see it. Could I negotiate down?

Old 02-16-2022 | 12:56 PM
|
Another thing, the clutch has never been replaced. I didn’t feel any problems when I drove it, but could that be an issue?

Old 02-16-2022 | 01:00 PM
Prefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant future
Odds are the clutch will be fine for a while with relatively low miles. A buddy of mine just bought a pristine low mile 2014 Black with Tan interior Vantage from an Aston Martin dealer (with timeless 1 year warranty) that I think they were asking $84K. He negotiated $79K delivered (600 miles), tax,tite, and extra years warranty added at $3500 (retail $4500). So yes, you have room from asking price - how much though you have to feel them out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help with buying a V8 Vantage