Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

20000 inspection on my 2011 V8 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 06:25 AM
Prefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant future
20000 inspection on my 2011 V8 Vantage

Yesterday I got my 20,000 inspection on the used 2011 V8 Vantage I bought about 6 months ago. There were about 4 previous owners so I had no 'history' other than CarFax. While the car was misrepresented somewhat in condition by carefully shot photos and video from the non-Aston dealer - mostly cosmetic, I feared mechanically is something lurking that's going to be a larger problem. Combined with no service stampings in the owners manual, I was not totally comfortable with the purchase even though I did get a good price to offset the $5K+ in cosmetic issues. So I was relieved yesterday when it came through the 20K inspection by Morries Aston Martin with no issues, and made certain that owners manual finally had a stamp showing the service was done. I think it's critical that Aston Martin dealers are told to stamp service in the owners manual - its an assurance in resale and only takes a small effort.

Old 04-12-2022, 06:46 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I don't stamp the book, but when it comes time to sell or trade, the dealer emails me all of my service records.

Should I ask the dealer to retroactive stamp the book from previous services they did? I thought an untouched owner's manual was more valuable.

Old 04-12-2022, 06:50 AM
Prefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant future
Of all the Vantages I've bought used in the past - none have had full service records. The stamped book goes with the car and is in the car and that stamp is more valuable than an untouched owners manual. I would have the dealer stamp your manual. What if that next buyer resells, and does not provide service records?

Old 04-12-2022, 06:53 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
Of all the Vantages I've bought used in the past - none have had full service records. The stamped book goes with the car and is in the car and that stamp is more valuable than an untouched owners manual. I would have the dealer stamp your manual. What if that next buyer resells, and does not provide service records?
I don't care if the next buyer drives the car over a cliff. I think my services at the dealer may show up on CarFax? I go to the dealer twice a year for scheduled servicing.

Old 04-12-2022, 06:53 AM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
I don't stamp the book, but when it comes time to sell or trade, the dealer emails me all of my service records.

Should I ask the dealer to retroactive stamp the book from previous services they did? I thought an untouched owner's manual was more valuable.
I would say yes to this. I am the second owner of my car and the previous owner really looked after the car, and all service stamps were present. However, the bodywork inspection stamps were not present. When I got the car my dealer advised me to try and get the previous owner to get the body work inspections stamped up. My dealer said that if these were not completed Aston HQ would have problems repairing any body defects that may arise. I was able to get all the missing body inspection stamps completed and would you believe it, I needed authorized body work repairs as an area of the paint started to bubble. Aston had no problems doing it as the car was "fully serviced and up-to-date".
The stamps are worth a lot, I would get them completed.

Old 04-12-2022, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by Dalecannavan
I would say yes to this. I am the second owner of my car and the previous owner really looked after the car, and all service stamps were present. However, the bodywork inspection stamps were not present. When I got the car my dealer advised me to try and get the previous owner to get the body work inspections stamped up. My dealer said that if these were not completed Aston HQ would have problems repairing any body defects that may arise. I was able to get all the missing body inspection stamps completed and would you believe it, I needed authorized body work repairs as an area of the paint started to bubble. Aston had no problems doing it as the car was "fully serviced and up-to-date".
The stamps are worth a lot, I would get them completed.
Thanks. When I go in for the fall annual, I'll bring the owner's manual!

Old 04-12-2022, 07:06 AM
I don't think all records are reported - the last service I was able to find was with Miller in 2017, an annual that did not appear on the CarFax. The opposite is also true - if a repair (dent, or bodywork) is minor enough to pay cash and keep it off insurance I always ask to not report it to CarFax, and they don't.

Old 04-13-2022, 06:29 AM
RudyP is infamous around these parts
I keep a service/vehicle history binder for all my cars - it includes all service records, including the maintenance I do myself, parts receipts, and vehicle ownership docs like purchase documentation, window sticker, registration and title copies (real titles go in my safe). I started this when I bought the Ferrari and the seller gave me his binder. I really liked the organization so I copied it for all my cars.

....oh, I also have all the maintenance records for all the cars electronically in a spreadsheet too. Yes, I am a bit OCD...