Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Thoughts on AM V12 Vantage S ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:39 AM
G50fan is infamous around these partsG50fan is infamous around these parts
For what it's worth, after two years of research and debate -- I just bought a 2016 V12 Vantage S and am delighted with the car. The car is far better than what detractors say (mostly Millennial journalists with zero appreciation for analog sports cars). I have zero panel gap issues on my car and (so far) everything works as it should.

I had never driven the SportShift III gearbox, yet immediately adapted to it in Sport mode on my first test drive with zero over-revs or missed shifts. Breathing off the throttle slightly (in the same way I would in between manual shifts in my Porsche's) is easy/engaging -- and in some ways preferable to pumping a clutch. This is something I never thought I'd say after owning some pretty amazing stick-shift cars ranging from Porsche 964 RS, 993 RS and GT3 Clubsport models to vintage Ferrari V12's and a Lotus Cortina. If you look at the Bio's of the journalists and YouTube creators that trash the Sportshift transmissions, they are car culture Millennials that can't tell the difference between an automatic vs. automated manual -- so disregard those reviews. Other drivers who test drive a V12VS and can't figure out the SSIII should stay in with a mainstream double-clutch and let the car shift for you.

Similarly, the complaints about the "lack of tech" are equally preposterous. Today's Millennial drivers are addicted to digital distractions and that persists behind the wheel of sports cars (remember, all of those big screens are costly to replace). What tech do you need other than Bluetooth phone functionality, audio system, and reverse camera? There is an Apple CarPlay module (sold by Aston Martin dealers) that installs nicely into the 2015 and 2016 V12VS ($895 + install labor) to bring the car up to date. If you need lane change assistance and automatic braking -- you don't need more Tech, you need more driving lessons.

The V12VS is not for the mainstream buyer who wants to cruise in traffic in automatic mode and occasionally pull the paddles as the V12VS is every bit as much engagement as a 6-speed manual (yes, I've driven a V8 Vantage 6-speed previously). The V8 Vantage is a great car -- but the V12VS is step up in every way. The body kit is wider for a more aggressive stance and the carbon hood is a love/hate thing (I love the look, as does my gear head wife). The exhaust system (from the One-77) does sound intoxicating and the hooligan power does (admittedly) give you a sense of superiority.

The one thing that caused me to pause buying a 2011 V12 stick two years ago and initially the 2016 V12VS I did buy was the $28K CCBs. Thus, the first thing I have done is to install a direct replacement iron brake conversion kit ($3200) from RacingBrake to save my CCB's to reinstall later if I ever decide to sell the car (my CCBs only have 14K miles). I've just had a 8-year service performed (every possible fluid and filter changed) and am installing a new serpentine belt for added peace of mind.

Like every car decision: different people have different needs. As a result, you can't listen to someone trash a SSIII V12VS just because they want a car with a manual gearbox (it's worth noting this will cost you a $60K-$80K premium on a V12VS). If someone is looking for a manual sports car, then they will need to drive a SSIII to compare if it's close enough. I have several Porsche's with manual gearboxes so I can "get my fix" of rowing gears when I want. However, when commuting in Austin city traffic for a business meeting, taking my wife to dinner, or going out of town on the weekends -- give me SSIII all day long.

I'm not saying the V12VS is perfect -- but the three major complaints (SSIII, lack of technology, cost of CCBs) are greatly overblown by people that wrongly use mass-produced sports cars (e.g. Porsche, Audi) as a comparison point. For me, the closest Porsche that I would consider (as a 25-year PCA member) is a GT3 Touring, but those are now $225K and still don't feel as special (IMO). I'd have to step up huge to a 911R or 911 ST ($500K and out of my price range) to feel the same sense of bespoke rarity (few hundred built) and uniqueness. Finally, after owning a dozen 911's, I think the Vantage is simply more beautiful.

Last edited by G50fan; Yesterday at 07:48 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
G50fan, great post! I also recently bought a V12 Vantage S (2015). I completely agree about the press unfairly trashing the SSIII 'box. but it's so much better than too many reviews said. Most talked about how it's a poor automatic (it is, and I couldn't care less), and didn't seem to spend much time or effort using the paddles -- which resulted in a poor and unbalanced review. There were a few journalists, however, who took the little bit of time to learn to use it properly -- and said that it was actually quite good. They said it's not as objectively good as a DCT (true), but some said that it has a much more analogue feel than a DCT and was more rewarding to use (such as Richard Meaden of EVO). I agree. IMO, it's more fun to use than a DCT because it's much more like driving a true manual, and it was developed to the point that it shifts very quickly -- usually a big complaint about single-clutch paddle-shift manuals. I wrote this in a BaT listing recently:

I bought my 2015 V12VS in April here on BaT. It’s a truly exceptional driver’s car. I expected it to be a great drive, but it is better than that. It feels so characterful, so alive, so communicative, with benchmark-level (hydraulic) steering feel — it is so much better in this respect than current cars.

The handling is everything that makes a well balanced front-engine rear-drive car great to drive. The remarkable thing is that it is so well balanced, but that big V12 sits mostly behind the front axle line. You do feel the extra weight in the nose compared to the V8 Vantage, but it does not feel nose heavy. The car turns in really well and the balance is very neutral. The 3-stage adaptive suspension is extremely well-judged, with the normal setting providing a firm but very compliant ride yet with tightly controlled damping. It’s a fantastic setup for most roads. Sport is much firmer but still not hard. The car is both a superb GT and an aggressive super-sports car.

The engine is simply a masterpiece, supremely smooth, with power and torque everywhere and one of the most symphonic exhaust notes of any car. Ever.

The biggest surprise, however, is how much I’m enjoying the gearbox. To be clear, a true manual ‘box will always be my first choice. The Sportshift III transmission, however, is a surprisingly close second. This is the last and most advanced single-clutch automated manual gearbox that Aston used. No, it is not as objectively good as a dual -clutch transmission or the very best torque converter automatics. It certainly is not good at being a self-shifting automatic. That’s why I like it so much — to work really well, it needs the driver. Just as a true manual obviously does. Learn its characteristics, use the paddles, feather the throttle the right amount at the right time while upshifting, work the throttle properly from rest to minimize clutch slip, etc. Really drive it, and it’s excellent. You can get absolutely perfectly smooth shifts every time. When driving hard and shifting at high revs and high load, it works particularly well, giving either fast and smooth shifts or very fast and firm-but-not-hard shifts, depending on what the driver wants. It can shift in as little as 70 milliseconds, obviously much faster than one can shift a true manual ‘box. Because the ‘box needs the driver to work its best, it gives back so much (not all) of the interaction that is normally lost when the gear lever and clutch pedal are removed. I find it so much more fun, and so much more rewarding, than an objectively better DCT precisely because the SS III needs the driver, whereas a DCT is so capable that it really doesn’t. Somewhat to my surprise, I think the SS III suits these cars extremely well and contributes to the overall driving experience.

It is remarkable that Aston Martin built the V12 Vantage / V12 Vantage S in the first place. How wonderful that they did. It’s the factory hot rod at its zenith.

Old Today, 07:36 AM
HenryM is infamous around these parts
Glad to see you got a V12 Vantage S. My 2012 V12 Vantage is a remarkable sports car as well. I am jealous of the adaptive suspension since the 2011 and 2012 models don’t have it and are quite stiff.

Henry

Old Today, 08:26 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by G50fan
Finally, after owning a dozen 911's, I think the Vantage is simply more beautiful.
Well said!

Old Today, 02:17 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Henry, long time no see! Thanks. Your V12V is stunning -- glad you're enjoying it. Any chance you'll come to the NYC holiday lunch?