Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Thoughts on AM V12 Vantage S ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 08:15 PM
socialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to all
Thoughts on AM V12 Vantage S ??

Been looking at british cars lately (jags/astons) - and always loved the V8 and the V12 Vantages of previous gen. Recently found a spec I like that came up (2015 V12 auto Vantage S, <10K miles). Not looking for a manual, over it for the meantime. Single clutch should be similar to a late model Gallardo?

Previously owned multiple Gallardos, 458, 911, 911turbo, etc.

How problematic are these later run V12 Vantages? Does the gearbox hold up fine? Any options that are a MUST?

Anything else that I would need to know about one before pulling the trigger? I've done tons of research each time before diving into a car, but between work/child/responsibilities don't have the capacity anymore like I did - but also do not want to land myself into a dud of sorts. I did find a local shop to me that works on british cars (that should help!). Been through the typical german / italian cars and trying to find something new to play with.

Outside of that any major pain points or maintenance issues/nightmares these encounter? Please help!

Also - some of the carbon pieces (esp on the front) have uneven gaps - is that reminiscent of british build quality or something more is going on?

PS I've never driven any version of the Vantage, much alone the V12.

Thanks!

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-17-2022 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-17-2022, 08:36 AM
Prefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant futurePrefurbia has a brilliant future
The V12S is a very special car - I've had 3 - the first was tracked and was a deceptive sale that I got a settlement and got a one owner low mile local replacement that was pretty bulletproof - zero issues. The other literally fell apart with over 14 major issues - and then the owner after me, the engine blew up. In other words avoid a tracked car, these are very strong but you can still abuse them to the point they will be a major problem just like any other car. Ultimately I bought another V12S new - again, zero issues in the 2 years I had it.

Old 04-17-2022, 10:41 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
The V12VS is a fabulous car, not that I am biased in any way ;-)... it has a character you will not find in anything German, and a more restrained elegance as opposed to the flamboyance of the Italians.

It sounds like you know what you are getting into with the single clutch gearbox, but I'll repeat the mantra: Don't expect it to behave like a torque converter auto or a dual clutch; expect a manual that does the clutching and rev matching for you, and if you involve yourself with managing shift timing and throttle lifting, it will really shine.

These cars are pretty strong. There has been a lot of talk (some might say fear mongering given the scarcity of cases) over the risk of primary cat ingestion with V12 misfires, especially over on Pistonheads. This probably is more of a risk (but still minimal) on the manual V12; the S moved to Bosch engine management which is more sophisticated. If you're worried there are options for deleting the primary cats (headers etc.), which liberate more power and change the sound, neither of which is lacking with the OEM setup IMHO. A lot of people who are not worried about the ingestion issue have done secondary cat deletes, which retains the character of the OEM sound but just turns up the level, with a minimal power gain to boot.

I know where Prefurbia is coming from with his comments, but I take issue with the over-generalization about tracked cars. Some of us have tracked our Vantages more than a few times, and the cars hold up very well. There is nowhere else that you can sanely or legally explore the performance potential. As with anything, it is more a question of how you do it than whether you do it, when looking at the outcome. In other words, if you don't abuse the car on track (thorough warm-up and cool-down etc.) and apply the appropriate maintenance for heavier use, a tracked car should not be a liability and in fact may run better than a garage queen!

Can you be more specific about the "uneven gaps" in the carbon pieces? My current S and previous manual V12 had no such issues, and I wonder if this might point to a more serious issue like previous repair work.

Best of luck in your hunt.

Old 04-17-2022, 11:18 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
My local AM dealer has a morning frost V12S SSIII fully loaded for sale. Buy a few years extended service warranty and have fun. Very cool car.

Old 04-17-2022, 11:42 AM
Bones 53 is infamous around these parts
I agree with brightoncorgi...peace of mind and lots of fun.
Thanks,
JH

Old 04-17-2022, 11:57 AM
Sir Rothschild is infamous around these partsSir Rothschild is infamous around these parts
I was originally debating between a 992 Carrara S and a manual V12V. I went with the V12V, it is a truly special car that I hope will be something even greater one day... but I'm biased.

Old 04-18-2022, 01:41 PM
socialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Benario
I was originally debating between a 992 Carrara S and a manual V12V. I went with the V12V, it is a truly special car that I hope will be something even greater one day... but I'm biased.
Funny for a brief second I also considered a 992 S but the pull towards an Aston esp w/that V12 is leaps and bounds different vs. trying another 911.

I appreciate all the other replies. Looking at a few different V12S' now and hopefully will pull the trigger shortly. Trying not to overthink this much, and take it as I go getting into one of these. Thanks guys!!

Old 04-18-2022, 05:43 PM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
@socialpro , I can't chime in on v12 ownership as I have a v8v (2007) but if you're on facebook but there are a few AM Vantage groups that can chime in on their experience I'm sure

Edwin

Old 04-18-2022, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by M32
@socialpro , I can't chime in on v12 ownership as I have a v8v (2007) but if you're on facebook but there are a few AM Vantage groups that can chime in on their experience I'm sure

Edwin
Thanks for the heads up, recently joined that group as well! Thanks!

Old 04-18-2022, 05:52 PM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by socialpro
Thanks for the heads up, recently joined that group as well! Thanks!
Sweet! Also consider joining this one as well if you're a DIY guy and also check out redpants on YT. Really good content for vantage owners.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdw...FWFcqKOYtuCBcw

Old 04-19-2022, 03:36 AM
usera is infamous around these parts
I own a V8 and have never loved working on a car more. I have had absolutely zero issues with it and feel as though it is by far the most beautiful car available today.

Old 04-19-2022, 08:23 AM
Ascendent is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by spinecho
The V12VS is a fabulous car, not that I am biased in any way ;-)... it has a character you will not find in anything German, and a more restrained elegance as opposed to the flamboyance of the Italians.

It sounds like you know what you are getting into with the single clutch gearbox, but I'll repeat the mantra: Don't expect it to behave like a torque converter auto or a dual clutch; expect a manual that does the clutching and rev matching for you, and if you involve yourself with managing shift timing and throttle lifting, it will really shine.

These cars are pretty strong. There has been a lot of talk (some might say fear mongering given the scarcity of cases) over the risk of primary cat ingestion with V12 misfires, especially over on Pistonheads. This probably is more of a risk (but still minimal) on the manual V12; the S moved to Bosch engine management which is more sophisticated. If you're worried there are options for deleting the primary cats (headers etc.), which liberate more power and change the sound, neither of which is lacking with the OEM setup IMHO. A lot of people who are not worried about the ingestion issue have done secondary cat deletes, which retains the character of the OEM sound but just turns up the level, with a minimal power gain to boot.

I know where Prefurbia is coming from with his comments, but I take issue with the over-generalization about tracked cars. Some of us have tracked our Vantages more than a few times, and the cars hold up very well. There is nowhere else that you can sanely or legally explore the performance potential. As with anything, it is more a question of how you do it than whether you do it, when looking at the outcome. In other words, if you don't abuse the car on track (thorough warm-up and cool-down etc.) and apply the appropriate maintenance for heavier use, a tracked car should not be a liability and in fact may run better than a garage queen!

Can you be more specific about the "uneven gaps" in the carbon pieces? My current S and previous manual V12 had no such issues, and I wonder if this might point to a more serious issue like previous repair work.

Best of luck in your hunt.
Agree here, assuming that it's been well taken care of. My Mako V12V was the U.S. launch car, used for press/road tests and driven I'm sure well the first few thousand miles of it's life (based on what AMNB sent me). All maintenance was taken care of by AM, and as the current owner; have the records to show. It runs perfectly well. 🥰

These cars need to be driven to run well.

Best of luck in your hunt!

Old 04-25-2022, 01:47 PM
Tried to bid on this guy but reserve was set at 130K (!!). Would rather take an '11 manual for that money.

BAT 2015 Aston Martin Vantage

If anyone is thinking of parting with their '15s please let me know!!

Old 04-26-2022, 07:50 AM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
PM sent

Old 11-06-2023, 03:06 AM
Vench is infamous around these parts
Congrats man in the new ride…enjoy..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on AM V12 Vantage S ??