Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Repairing The Dashboard Display

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 01:28 PM
embdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud of
Repairing The Dashboard Display

As many on this list have observed, the polarizing film on the dashboard display made the screen unreadable. I spent the last 3 days repairing the dashboard display on my 2007 vantage.

It’s a challenging project but I believe, with some patience, can be done by an experienced DYI.

The entire project (58 photographs) is on my website. If interested please PM me for the website address.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-20-2022 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2022, 03:22 PM
Puddlian is infamous around these parts
This is very timely (I hope!). I was just on the forum, searching for possible answers to my dim dashboard display, on my 2005 DB9. You mention the polarizing filter issue on your Aston. I'm not sure if I am suffering the same problem. When I adjust the display brightness with the small pop-out **** next to the light switch, the display changes but never gets bright enough to see clearly (in daylight conditions.)
At night the display is quite clearly visible but if the sun is shining directly on the display I cannot see a thing.
I am always up for a challenge, but I'm not positive that I am "an experienced DIY'er" ... (I just replaced the seals in my transmission... if that is any indicator!). If this "faded display" sounds like a similar issue to yours, I would love to hear back from you.

Old 06-20-2022, 05:12 PM
embdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud ofembdenb has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Puddlian
This is very timely (I hope!). I was just on the forum, searching for possible answers to my dim dashboard display, on my 2005 DB9. You mention the polarizing filter issue on your Aston. I'm not sure if I am suffering the same problem. When I adjust the display brightness with the small pop-out **** next to the light switch, the display changes but never gets bright enough to see clearly (in daylight conditions.)
At night the display is quite clearly visible but if the sun is shining directly on the display I cannot see a thing.
I am always up for a challenge, but I'm not positive that I am "an experienced DIY'er" ... (I just replaced the seals in my transmission... if that is any indicator!). If this "faded display" sounds like a similar issue to yours, I would love to hear back from you.
Your does not seem like the same thing. Having said that AFAIK the 2005 DB9 uses the same dashboard and the same polarizing film. Your film could be in the early stages of becoming opaque.

Old 06-20-2022, 09:14 PM
zuman has much to be proud ofzuman has much to be proud ofzuman has much to be proud ofzuman has much to be proud ofzuman has much to be proud ofzuman has much to be proud ofzuman has much to be proud ofzuman has much to be proud of
Good write-up! I did the same job a couple of months ago but didn't do it quite as well as you. I sanded and polished it for about four hours and probably could have used another couple of hours on the job.
I'm interested that you aren't going to add a new top film; I haven't added one yet but I was thinking of looking for something like a thin sunglass film if such a thing exists.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by zuman
Good write-up! I did the same job a couple of months ago but didn't do it quite as well as you. I sanded and polished it for about four hours and probably could have used another couple of hours on the job.
I'm interested that you aren't going to add a new top film; I haven't added one yet but I was thinking of looking for something like a thin sunglass film if such a thing exists.
I want to see if the polarizing film is really necessary. I can put up with the occasional glaring, and as long as it’s manageable I will keep the film off.

Old 09-12-2024, 10:51 AM
Wolfgang5150
Hello I have a vantage that has the same issue that I’ve been putting off until winter. Could someone send me instructions on how to repair this?

Old 09-12-2024, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfgang5150
Hello I have a vantage that has the same issue that I’ve been putting off until winter. Could someone send me instructions on how to repair this?
https://bernardembden.com/am/dashrepair/index.htm

Good luck

Old 09-12-2024, 02:36 PM
Wolfgang5150
Thank you! Looks like a blast….

Old 09-13-2024, 08:13 AM
07sportspack is infamous around these parts
The process works. You must be patient. No rushing... it is a time consuming process. Prep and clearing a good work space that can be left fo a few days is wise. Taking some pics of your disassembly for reference is helpful. Again take your time and use the proper tools. If you want to "practice" lol. you might want to do your clock face first!

Old 09-13-2024, 08:30 AM
Wolfgang5150
Yes great advice - this is definitely a winter project - it might be spread out over the whole winter actually….