Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

My "new" DB9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 09:41 AM
MAUMAU is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
Bob, there is a way and I’m working on it. If I can give him a non business username I will be able to restore all his posts. Waiting for his response to my pm.
GT3 Chuck -

You may not realize it, but YOU are the main reason people are leaving 6Speed. You are constantly editing or removing extremely helpful posts such as Dean’s and many of us complain about you on other forums or via private email. Dean is not selling ANYTHING and was an incredible resource for all things Aston Martin.

And how do you expect to get a reply from Dean when you blocked him?

He cant because he just told me.

I am contacting the owner of this website and filing a complaint against you. YOU need to go!

Old 11-28-2022, 10:21 AM
I took a screenshot of my above post and a link to the thread. It was sent it to the forum owners and others.

If my above post is removed, I will post it on the other Aston forums and Facebook.

Forums like this were created to help and encourage ownership, but with constant overzealous and unwarranted interference it only pushes many quality posters to other forums, and many have not returned.

Old 11-28-2022, 10:55 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
You can rant all you want. If you think I need abuse from members like you who do not appreciate a free forum for discussion and information that is paid for by our sponsors who do not appreciate anyone advertising or promoting for free when they are keeping the lights on you have another thing coming. Dean should be able to private message or visitor message if he doesn’t have enough posts or he can give you a suitable username and you can pass it to me. I’m not trying to stop anyone providing helpful info. I am only responding to a sponsor complaint. There is a simple solution that does not require all the drama you are creating. Please do complain to everyone you wish as I would like nothing more than to be donee with this forum.

Old 11-28-2022, 11:43 AM
GT3 Chuck wrote: “I would like nothing more than to be donee with this forum”.

Then this might be a good time for you to allow another admin to take over the Aston Martin forum.

Last edited by MAUMAU; 11-28-2022 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-28-2022, 12:06 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Already have…Johnny Hotspur is the man…like I said I only responded to a complaint. If Dean will simply give me a passable username we can all get on to better things. I’ll send Dean an email that he can respond to.

Old 11-28-2022, 01:11 PM
For those not familiar with our new Aston Martin admin Johnny Hotspur, he is also the admin on the Bentley forum.

To say that Johnny is one of the worlds experts on Bentleys would be a gross understatement. Johnny helps Bentley owners worldwide and knows these amazing vehicles inside and out. I highly recommend checking out Johnny's rebuild of his own Continental GT on the Bentley forum here on 6Speed. Link below.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-pictures.html

Old 11-28-2022, 05:13 PM
Administrator
Dean is back, with an appropriate username and all posts restored. MAUMAU I don’t want you to think your braying and personal threats had anything to do with it as they did not. I intended to bring Dean back as soon as he had a new username. Back to Aston Martins please.

Old 11-29-2022, 12:45 PM
Advantage Dean is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bob Duato
Thanks for posting this for others to see@Bob Duato , because that beautifully illustrates just how much damage can be done to the catalyst due to unburnt fuel igniting inside it! I'm sure that everyone can fully appreciate how much damage that debris can do, when it gets back into the combustion chambers, past the piston rings and into the oil sump, oil pump, oil galleries, etc.

Are you still working on it or have you packed-up for the winter?

Old 11-30-2022, 05:32 AM
I agree Dean, although I had heard much about the V12’s propensity to ingest catalyst particles that can kill an engine, I had not seen detailed pictures before. I hope Bob gets his DB9 running again.

Old 11-30-2022, 08:28 AM
61mga is infamous around these parts
i have no way of knowing if 6speed is losing members or not but i seriously doubt, if true, it's due to the activities of a moderator. i, for one, find little to criticize WRT moderators, in general, and none specific to this forum.

Old 12-01-2022, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by 61mga
i have no way of knowing if 6speed is losing members.
We are getting a new admin so the issue is resolved.

I think it is best that we move back to this incredible thread and all things Aston Martin.

Old 12-01-2022, 10:45 AM
61mga is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MAUMAU
We are getting a new admin so the issue is resolved.

I think it is best that we move back to this incredible thread and all things Aston Martin.
by all means if you think it is best.

Old 12-01-2022, 11:16 AM
Bob Duato is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Advantage Dean
Thanks for posting this for others to see@Bob Duato , because that beautifully illustrates just how much damage can be done to the catalyst due to unburnt fuel igniting inside it! I'm sure that everyone can fully appreciate how much damage that debris can do, when it gets back into the combustion chambers, past the piston rings and into the oil sump, oil pump, oil galleries, etc.

Are you still working on it or have you packed-up for the winter?
I'll be back at it soon I hope, but ya, I'm away from the project for a bit. I ordered new pistons and rings, and I'm working on getting intake and head gaskets made. And I still have to look into cleaning the sludge.

Have you seen other examples of failed primary cats? I'm trying to understand if this damage always starts from the bottom and works its way up or if that's just what happened in my case. It seems likely that it would just depend on where the fuel ignites, so it could happen anywhere. Let me know if I'm on the right track with my thinking. Also, is this generally the result of one major ignition or lots of little ones?

Old 12-01-2022, 02:52 PM
Advantage Dean is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bob Duato
I'll be back at it soon I hope, but ya, I'm away from the project for a bit. I ordered new pistons and rings, and I'm working on getting intake and head gaskets made. And I still have to look into cleaning the sludge.

Have you seen other examples of failed primary cats? I'm trying to understand if this damage always starts from the bottom and works its way up or if that's just what happened in my case. It seems likely that it would just depend on where the fuel ignites, so it could happen anywhere. Let me know if I'm on the right track with my thinking. Also, is this generally the result of one major ignition or lots of little ones?
Definitely spend as much time getting as much of the catalyst/oil sludge residue out of the engine, as possible. It'll pay dividends in the long run. I've seen a few, but I'm not as well versed in it as say someone like Mike at Bamford Rose, etc, etc (I'm better with electronics and software). It's my understanding that it's the result of lots of little ones. Every time a bit of fuel hits the hot catalyst, it's ignited and cases thermal shock which is what damages the catalyst.

Old 12-01-2022, 11:32 PM
V12Stealth
The Ford OBD spec is public information. It goes into detail about how the system tests the cat. Its looking for much more than a reduced frequency on the downstream sensor. As part of continuous monitoring, according to the spec, the ECU is constantly altering fueling parameters to see if anything is stuck or being cheated. For example, it will deliberately richen up a bank and watch for the response from the sensors. It measures the response latency too. So the simple RC circuits used in the 90s won't work. I've prototyped a small microcontroller to feed an expected downstream o2 sensor signal using the upstream as input. Needed to fake the heater, impedance etc.. it was a bit of work. I just need to test it now. But I've had some life events that have derailed my projects. Hope to get back to it next year.

In theory a "min-cat" could work. There was a good one the Porsche folks used that would pass on a Euro5 car. But it looks like that company doesn't exist any more. It will take trial and error to figure out an alternative, i.e. amount of catalyst and distance are parameters that will need to be experimented with.

There are also modern Euro6 cats you can use instead of the secondaries that might be good enough to use with the downstream o2 sensor without any other mods.

Again all takes time and money to experiment with.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My "new" DB9