Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

My "new" DB9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 09:20 PM
Bob Duato is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Advantage Dean
Definitely spend as much time getting as much of the catalyst/oil sludge residue out of the engine, as possible. It'll pay dividends in the long run. I've seen a few, but I'm not as well versed in it as say someone like Mike at Bamford Rose, etc, etc (I'm better with electronics and software). It's my understanding that it's the result of lots of little ones. Every time a bit of fuel hits the hot catalyst, it's ignited and cases thermal shock which is what damages the catalyst.
Very interesting if it is a lot of little ones in that my cats showed zero signs of melting from the top, so all the ignitions were happening post cat. I have to really emphasize just how important it is for owners to separate the exhaust at the base of the headers and scope the bottoms of all the primary cats, just to make sure your engine isn't in imminent danger.

Old 12-02-2022, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by V12Stealth
The Ford OBD spec is public information. It goes into detail about how the system tests the cat. Its looking for much more than a reduced frequency on the downstream sensor. As part of continuous monitoring, according to the spec, the ECU is constantly altering fueling parameters to see if anything is stuck or being cheated. For example, it will deliberately richen up a bank and watch for the response from the sensors. It measures the response latency too. So the simple RC circuits used in the 90s won't work. I've prototyped a small microcontroller to feed an expected downstream o2 sensor signal using the upstream as input. Needed to fake the heater, impedance etc.. it was a bit of work. I just need to test it now. But I've had some life events that have derailed my projects. Hope to get back to it next year.

In theory a "min-cat" could work. There was a good one the Porsche folks used that would pass on a Euro5 car. But it looks like that company doesn't exist any more. It will take trial and error to figure out an alternative, i.e. amount of catalyst and distance are parameters that will need to be experimented with.

There are also modern Euro6 cats you can use instead of the secondaries that might be good enough to use with the downstream o2 sensor without any other mods.

Again all takes time and money to experiment with.
Yes, an expensive and likely very frustrating endeavor. Hopefully we can find a nice workaround. Thanks for the input.

Old 08-01-2023, 11:07 PM
Well, it's been a lot of work, and a lot of time on and off, but finally some payoff.

That's an inline six you're listening to. Only one bank fired up, but the good news is, it's the bank that I rebuilt and it seems to be running strong. The other good news is that I forgot to plug in one of the timing plugs and now both banks are running! Only took me two days to figure out it was something so simple lol. The bad news is I have no spark in cylinder 5 and the car won't shift out of park. I had to hang up the gloves again for a bit, but I'm pleased to have gotten this far. I'm hoping it's just an ignition coil plug not being secure (a lot of the harness clips are broken) and the park released lever not being fully disengaged. That investigation will be for a later date though.

For the most part, things have been pretty smooth after the tear down and major cleaning. The biggest issue I had was that my keys somehow became unpaired from the car, locking me out of the ignition sequence. I had suspected this, but the dealer assured me it wasn't possible for that to happen. Even worse, they wouldn't even touch or scan the car because of its condition and salvage title. Fortunately, they recommended a local shop who did in fact confirm my suspicion and were able to reprogram the keys.

I just fished fitting a remote filter kit that I made which I will post more about. I forgot to snap pics, but if there's enough interest I will look into developing a kit with a filter plate, take off plate, mounting bracket, an-10 fittings and hose cut to length with fittings attached. It mounts the filter hanging down from the frame on the passenger side just in front of the sway bar. There are two unused threaded holes there, at least there are on my car. Oil changes would require removing the front undertray which is quite a few bolts and isn't completely necessary for the stock location, but pick your poison. Considering the debris that may still be in my engine, I'm going to be doing frequent oil changes for the foreseeable future, so I wanted mine accessible.

That's all for now. I'll get more pics and hopefully some footage of 12 purring cylinders soon.

Old 07-19-2024, 04:56 PM
Well, it's finally time for me to revive an old thread... luckily with pretty good news. It's been a long, intermittent project, and it's still not complete. But without further ado...
She lives!!!

I still have to sort through a myriad of faults, but she runs smooth, pulls hard and shifts seamlessly! Not bad for a car that seized from cat ingestion.

Old 07-20-2024, 09:29 AM
miniosta
you may even find what looks like mud (a mix of oil, ground cylinder bores. rings and catalyst) in the bottom of the pan.

Old 07-20-2024, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by miniosta
you may even find what looks like mud (a mix of oil, ground cylinder bores. rings and catalyst) in the bottom of the pan.
Yep, definitely had the sludge. Nasty stuff and very hard to remove. The piston rings were seized up in three pistons but the pistons were fine. There was some minor scoring in those three cylinders but nothing deep. A little bit of honing and some new rings and compression is good again.