Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Problems with new vantage…….

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2023 | 02:48 PM
|
Argus is a jewel in the roughArgus is a jewel in the roughArgus is a jewel in the rough
Problems with new vantage…….

I am thinking about moving into a new (2019 onward) Vantage. What are the problems people have had? Anything and everything would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-15-2023 | 04:16 PM
khiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond repute
My biggest issue with my 2019 was the lack of CarPlay, the old Mercedes system . . . I thought I could live with, but eventually bit the bullet. My local AM dealer could install CarPlay, but I ended up going with Aston Installations; I am quite pleased. Not sure what you're coming from, but no, my Vantage isn't as fast as my '14 911 Turbo was . . . I don't care, it sounds glorious and there isn't a Vantage on every block, my town has a ton of 911s! I love Porsches, but I like having something different. I just replaced my battery, which was more difficult than it should have been, but was done in about hour. I suppose another downside is the lack of many mod options, but that would be your call if that is important to you. Classic Vantage enthusiasts seem to hate the new Vantage, but that doesn't bother me . . . I think it looks/sounds amazing! Good luck in your search, they seem to take a pretty good depreciation hit, so used options can be had at a reasonable price point-- KH

Last edited by khiroshima; 01-15-2023 at 04:53 PM. Reason: added a past-tense
Old 01-15-2023 | 04:37 PM
61mga is infamous around these parts
the new ones are much, much more attractive in the flesh. ...one pulled up next to me in walnut creek, ca. and they are NICE!

Old 01-15-2023 | 04:52 PM
khiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 61mga
the new ones are much, much more attractive in the flesh. ...one pulled up next to me in walnut creek, ca. and they are NICE!
I will also note that while the hunter grill is also "hated" . . . When seeing one pull behind you and looking at a Vantage in the rear view mirror, it is pretty menacing. Clearly I am biased KH

Old 01-15-2023 | 05:24 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
I would definitely test drive one to be sure.of the forward purchase. Definitely a few plusses and some negative things. My opinion is power and handling with a harsher ride. And the not so modern infotainment but it may be something that you could enjoy. VH Vantage is an incredible platform and very reliable. Update US on your findings should you decide for yourself.

Old 01-15-2023 | 06:39 PM
sf911c2 has a spectacular aura aboutsf911c2 has a spectacular aura about
I test drove a 2019 vantage and passed. To me it was bland both interior looks and feel, v8 sounded too poppy. On my test drive the parking sensor kept going off for no reason..rep was kinda embarrassed and just turning it off...It is fast compared to my 2013 vantage but when I got back to my car, cranked it up I said "now we are talking" and drove off with a smile on my face Go drive a few see how you feel..I heard the F1 is improved feel/sound so you might see how that feels vs the base. Prices are collapsing post the market craziness last 12mo so you should be able to get a 2019 ~50-55% MSRP with 2019's cars coming off 3 yr lease.

I am considering a 2019 DB11 AMR if I can find the right color combo/mileage/price. I'm eager to see the redesigns so maybe in 6months we have more depreciation kick in on old models..good luck..

Old 01-15-2023 | 08:25 PM
volvodrummer is infamous around these parts
The biggest complaint I've heard was for a whining rear diff at highway cruising speeds. There's also a coil pack/spark plug corrosion issue that leads to misfire. The MB coil packs were updated to include a better insulator for water ingress. I believe only 2019 V8s have been affected by this. The next would be touchy brake calibration during slow/creeping movement. I experienced this on a pre-production demo car , but heard that it was rectified via a software update during production. The '21 manual I drove did not have this problem. Happy hunting!

Old 01-15-2023 | 08:43 PM
61mga is infamous around these parts
one of these days (dazed?) car manufacturers are going to get smart and make infotainment software as updateable and replaceable, like some EV manufacturers are now doing, as with your PC or tablet. it's not as if the technology isn't out there staring them in the face.

probably won't happen until they see their sales figures reflect the competition, with such options, outpacing them at the checkout counter though. SMH

Last edited by 61mga; 01-15-2023 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-16-2023 | 02:49 AM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
I'm lucky to have both. the 2022 F1 is a much more accomplished car than the 2017 V12.

Handling is better , the F1 car absorbs undulations and bumps much more easily than the VH car and is measurably quicker through corners - a combination of grip (even shod with Pirelli P Zeros), suspension setting & the torque delivery. the ground clearance is slightly higher so less bottoming out of front splitter on fast country roads

Interior - not liked by some but the seats are more comfortable on long trips (dont need a small back support pillow), in sport plus mode you have oil temp monitoring which I think all sports cars should have (its amazing how long it takes for engine oil to get to optimum temp), no carplay is a bummer but can be fixed, the graphics on the dash dont really do it for me but they are easy to read. The stereo isnt as good (even Premium) but who buys this sort of car for the music system? the internal cabin storage & shelf isnt as generous and I havent really worked out how best to pack it for a long trip away.

Noise - no comparison - its way too quite and needs something done to the exhaust - I need to hear the car revving & the exhaust to "feel" the speed I'm travelling at. Investigating deleting the rear silencer but keeping the secondary cats / OPF filters so car doesnt need a tune - easy to reverse too if needed.

Nothing has gone wrong with the car, it does have a knock coming from the rear hatch (I think) on some roads that I havent yet tracked down - but minor item for warranty.

size -its bigger all over

looks - subjective but the F1 grille works really well for me with the extended bottom splitter and the car is a slick looking, up to date sportscar. The VH is beautiful, but showing its age (and thats ok)

Lights - great high beam for standard lights when driving in a straight line (unlike the VH which I am fitting spots to for high beam). But on twisty roads the side spread of the lights is poor and does not allow fast cornering as you cant see enough "around" the corner )thats really my only complaint). Think I'll be fitting a set of spot lights with a wider beam spread to the F1 in due course

the Wing - I love it & hate it. Suits the car but is a bit boy racer for me to be honest

hope that helps - get one bought - suspect you will love it

Graze

Old 01-17-2023 | 08:30 PM
|
Argus is a jewel in the roughArgus is a jewel in the roughArgus is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the information. I was also wondering about stuff like CEL coming on for no reason. Can it be serviced at a MB dealer. The little or big things that a car in this price range should not have. Recalls TSBs anything along those lines.

Old 01-17-2023 | 11:50 PM
I was getting some eDiff CELs for a while there and one that said to pull over and let the car idle . . . That all went away when I changed out the battery-- No CELs since, KH

Old 01-20-2023 | 07:51 AM
charles06 is infamous around these parts
I previously owned a 2020 and recently purchased a 2023. I did have the diff noise in the 2020. In fact, the tech said it was the worst he's heard. It was replaced under warranty. I also had the issue with the coil pack. Again, fixed under warranty. The infotainment is a non-issue for me, as it works well and is simple enough for a sports car. I don't want complications in my "driver's cars".

With the 2023, the diff noise is far lessened, and I feel that the typical items have been improved upon, such as transmission programming. While there are definitely things I would change/update, none of them make the car less enjoyable. I love it! It fits very nicely with the other vehicles I own and have on order. Some are more hardcore, some more luxurious.

Let me know if there's anything else you're curious about.