Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Strange Noise That Increases with RPMs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 02:50 PM
tck1979 is infamous around these parts
Strange Noise That Increases with RPMs

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting to this forum. I have a 2005 DB9 with 11,700 miles and it recently began making a sound that I can best describe as rattling/whirring sound that seems to be most audible from underneath the front of the car. It's best heard just behind the front wheels. It's not really present at idle but becomes noticeable as the RPMs rise above 1000 and gets faster as the RPMs increase, but not necessarily louder. I included two short video clips - one of the engine at idle, and another listening from below the car. The first clip showing the engine at idle is noisy (especially closer to the firewall but I'm thinking those are normal valve train sounds. Let me know if I'm wrong,

The noise from below is definitely not the "tick of death" as it's a very different kind of sound. It also seems to be more noticeable when the car is warm but I haven't been able to confirm a pattern yet. It can also be heard sitting in the driver's seat with the door open.

Prior to noticing this noise I also noticed a slight low rumbling noise when idling in drive or reverse but not in park or neutral. I've seen on the forums that this may be chattering from the drive plate? Perhaps this is related to the other noise I'm hearing?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Video 1.mov (6.42 MB, 42 views)
File Type: mov
Video 2.mov (5.59 MB, 18 views)
Old 03-15-2023, 05:25 PM
61mga is infamous around these parts
i listened to the videos and heard nothing out of the ordinary...

but... i suppose you could take it to someone that you think knows more than you about it and pay them a few hundred dollars to tell you what they think it is, if anything, but i suspect they'll tell you there is nothing wrong. then again, they may tell you that you need a new engine...there's always that.

if it were me, and if there really is something wrong then it will get worse. so i'd wait until the noise is more demonstrable before taking action.

Last edited by 61mga; 03-15-2023 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-15-2023, 05:54 PM
tck1979 is infamous around these parts
The noise isn’t super obvious on the 2nd video. It’s more of a whooshing noise than mechanical but there is a mechanical component that the video probably didn’t pick up very well.

Yeah, no one within hours of where I live has a clue about these cars which is why over time I’ve had to acquire the tools and skills to fix ALL of my cars myself. I the closest Indy that does Aston Martins is a good 3-4 hours drive away and I’m not even sure how good they are.

if anyone else has any feedback on the noise let me know. Maybe I’ll see if I can get a video that captures the noise better. Just listen for the whooshing sound in video 2 as the engine revs.