Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Has anyone installed the Naviks CarPlay unit for garmin based systems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 08:57 AM
Teekster is infamous around these partsTeekster is infamous around these parts
Has anyone installed the Naviks CarPlay unit for garmin based systems?

There’s a video on YouTube now that shows it working using the factory controls. Looks more appealing than the Aston installations kit and it’s a fraction of the price.

Old 03-17-2023, 11:00 AM
Ale_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud of
Following
Do you have ther link of the unit to be purchased?
Is it this one?
https://naviks.com/i-24078397-2012-2015-aston-martin-v12-vantage-apple-carplay-wired-wireless-android-auto-wired-wireless-usb-media-player-front-view-camera-interface.html?ref=category:1149762;brand:95570

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 05-11-2024 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Live link non sponsor
Old 03-17-2023, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ale_72
Following
Do you have ther link of the unit to be purchased?
Is it this one?
https://naviks.com/i-24078397-2012-2015-aston-martin-v12-vantage-apple-carplay-wired-wireless-android-auto-wired-wireless-usb-media-player-front-view-camera-interface.html?ref=category:1149762;brand:95570

yes, that is the one. Looking to see if anyone has experience installing one of these. I don’t want the add on joystick that is necessary with the astoninstallations product.

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 05-11-2024 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:20 PM
Ale_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud of
Same. And I do not really care of the low resolution of the standard screen as well.
Once waze and Google maps (basic) are visible and podcasts or tune in are playing, I am happy.

Old 03-20-2023, 11:40 AM
downeaster1 is infamous around these parts
What this system does is use a technique known as "CAN-hijacking". Basically, each button (on most modern cars) sends a specific signal through the vehicle's body-CAN data bus. Specific modules listen for that signal, then act accordingly. This upgrade utilizes the factory buttons buy listening on the CAN-bus for button inputs, then carries out whatever function was selected. The issue though, is because this unit is aftermarket, other modules are still listening for the button signals. This is demonstrated via the radio display (not the nav screen), cycling though menus as well as navigating the CarPlay display.

I think this could be avoided by having "Aux" selected on the radio display, as there are no further menus within that selection, but who knows.

Old 03-20-2023, 11:44 AM
My assumption is that audio would be via the aux input anyways, so that should be selected.

Old 04-16-2023, 05:06 PM
I guess I will answer my own question. Just installed it on my 2015 V12VS this weekend (thanks, Doug!). Everything seems to work well so far. We had excellent tech support from Naviks all weekend. I was amazed they even answered on a Sunday. Everything was truly plug and play.

I skipped the front camera for now, as I didn’t see an easy way through the firewall.

Old 04-16-2023, 06:04 PM
Import has a spectacular aura aboutImport has a spectacular aura about
Will be interesting to see how well you get on with it..thanks for posting..

Old 04-20-2023, 03:35 AM
Originally Posted by Teekster
Just installed it on my 2015 V12VS this weekend
How complicated was it? What did you have to "remove"?

Old 04-20-2023, 08:51 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
So this will allow for streaming Bluetooth audio from the phone? How long did it take to install?

Old 04-20-2023, 09:21 AM
JerryWhite is infamous around these parts
Same question. How long and what does it cost?

Old 04-20-2023, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by JerryWhite
what does it cost?
If the only thing is needed is the unit above, it looks still reasonable. < 1.000 usd.

Old 04-21-2023, 11:42 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
The factory streaming bluetooth module costs over 1K and just adds another device selection to the radio display. The Naviks sounds like quite deal if the install is reasonable.

Old 04-22-2023, 01:31 PM
You need access the nav module in the boot. The center of the car needs to be disassembled to get to the back of the radio. Wireless CarPlay actually uses Wi-Fi for audio, so the quality is better than Bluetooth. I tapped into the aux input beyond the jack, so the install is invisible. Getting from the boot to the area behind the seats involves loosening the panel to the left and behind the drivers seat (LHD). This was actually the hardest part for me and I broke a clip in the process. The rest of it was smooth sailing. Customer service was excellent. They were able to answer every question I had in a very timely fashion.

total cost was $850 (US). It took about 1 day to install, going very slowly.

I recorded the installation and will post a video once I get time to edit it.

Old 04-23-2023, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Teekster
I recorded the installation and will post a video once I get time to edit it.
Thanks for all the details and this would be super

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed the Naviks CarPlay unit for garmin based systems?