Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

San Diego Independent Shop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 10:51 AM
Sir Rothschild is infamous around these partsSir Rothschild is infamous around these parts
San Diego Independent Shop

Hello All,

Looking for an independent shop to do a clutch job for my V12 Vantage in or around San Diego, California. I just learned that my usual tech Graham is no longer at David Nutley Automotive. Any recommendations?

Old 11-18-2023, 01:27 AM
mrtzmd is infamous around these parts
Oh no

Wow sorry to hear. I met Graham a few months when I took my car to David Nutley. Anyone know what happened or if he's at another shop?

Old 11-19-2023, 10:33 AM
Sir Rothschild is infamous around these partsSir Rothschild is infamous around these parts
@mrtzmd He is no longer working on cars.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:49 AM
That's too bad. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-22-2023, 01:43 PM
Ganz is infamous around these parts
You can try
https://europeancoachinc.com/british-vehicle/aston-martin-service/
I have used him a few times and I know he does clutch work.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 11-22-2023 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-22-2023, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Ganz
You can try

I called European Coach Inc. and asked for an estimate on a clutch job. He told me he does not give estimates over the phone. That it was a "waste of time" for him to do so. He told me that I would need to take the car in and pay a nonrefundable $500 inspection fee to get a quote. Not sure what he needs to inspect since I am already telling him I want a clutch replacement.... Then when I asked what his labor rate was and how many hours he expected he told me I could go to the Aston Martin dealership if I wanted that information. Suffice it to say, I'll be looking elsewhere.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 11-22-2023 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2023, 02:02 PM
Ganz is infamous around these parts
Sorry to hear. He quoted me something like $5K-$6K a few years ago when he changed my oil. Yeah, $500 non refundable is a no go.

Old 11-27-2023, 03:10 PM
downeaster1 is infamous around these parts
Oh no, Graham is gone??
Being the manager of a few auto repair shops currently, and as a former BMW master tech, I will tell you that David Nutley's shop is hands down the most detail-orientated and knowledgeable shop I've ever had experience with. I'd love if Graham was still there, but I'm still taking my car back to David.

Originally Posted by Sir Rothschild
I called European Coach Inc. and asked for an estimate on a clutch job. He told me he does not give estimates over the phone. That it was a "waste of time" for him to do so. He told me that I would need to take the car in and pay a nonrefundable $500 inspection fee to get a quote. Not sure what he needs to inspect since I am already telling him I want a clutch replacement.... Then when I asked what his labor rate was and how many hours he expected he told me I could go to the Aston Martin dealership if I wanted that information. Suffice it to say, I'll be looking elsewhere.
If any of my service advisors approached a client like this, I'd can them on the spot. This is hugely unprofessional, and very poor business practice. I'd understand if it was an issue that required diagnostic time - obviously that's non-refundable, but $500 to diagnose a concern is absolutely insane.

Last edited by downeaster1; 11-27-2023 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-27-2023, 04:18 PM
Will David still be able to service Aston specific things like clutches?

Old 11-27-2023, 04:48 PM
downeaster1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mrtzmd
Will David still be able to service Aston specific things like clutches?
I don't see why not. It's a pretty straight-forward repair, and he has AMDS for the SportShift cars.

Old 11-27-2023, 05:40 PM
Ahh, good to know. Thank you. I feel better now since I need to replace the ASM hydraulic hoses soon.

Old 11-27-2023, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Ganz
You can try
https://europeancoachinc.com/british...artin-service/
Originally Posted by downeaster1
I don't see why not. It's a pretty straight-forward repair, and he has AMDS for the SportShift cars.
Nope, David told me it was outside the scope of his work and that he could not do it. Otherwise, I would just have him still do it.

Mark Douglas Motor Works in Mission Viejo said they could do it and gave me a fairly reasonable quote. Anyone familiar with them?

Old 11-27-2023, 06:28 PM
I took my V8V Mark Douglas last year to help sort out a starter problem. They're pretty experienced with AM's and will do the clutch but will not install a non OEM clutch like the Velocity AP Clutch.

Old 01-27-2024, 12:52 PM
WrenchOrHire? is infamous around these parts
[QUOTE=downeaster1;4933657]

"
This is hugely unprofessional, and very poor business practice. I'd understand if it was an issue that required diagnostic time - "

Yup, that is simply astounding. Just think at the customer's disposition at the beginning and ending of that call! However, I feel for businesspeople who spend too much time and expense for quotes, in an age where consumers can put them to hours of research with just one loose request, often with no history of working together like this example that was shared. Yet, every business has to figure out this equation...resources to cultivating business... and in a manner better than just refusing or being ridiculous like this guy. I mean seriously. This, unless they bring SO MUCH universally known value that it's nothing short of privilege to work with them. Owners of expensive cars are a niche market where it's POSSIBLE that a mechanic could be coveted to a degree they can name their price or earn the right to just bill you afterwards, and work purely by personal intro from other wealthy clients, where success begets success... but I have to think that's rarified air.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 01-27-2024 at 12:59 PM.