Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Emergency Metal Key for DB9 2013

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2023 | 09:32 AM
|
AM-DB9.2 is infamous around these partsAM-DB9.2 is infamous around these parts
Thank you, and to open is to turn the key CW?

Old 01-03-2024 | 04:30 PM
|
Well it's looking like i would be a bad locksmith.
After many tries i was not able to decode the lock.
It was worth a try but I'm going with the AM dealer quote,

Old 01-03-2024 | 10:36 PM
dpath is infamous around these parts
I had a similar situation with my Vanquish emergency key. I bought the Tibbe key decoder and also failed to decode the lock. However, I found that I was able to lock and unlock the car with the decoder in its straight position (with the pin installed). Have you tried this option?

Old 01-03-2024 | 11:42 PM
|
Hi,
That's a scary thought...
I did try it with the pin in place as i had read that any Tibbe key should be able to lock any Tibbe lock.
No luck on my end with that either, i also tried the new key blank i bought, a no-go as well.

Old 01-04-2024 | 10:09 AM
EJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond repute
I sent an email to HQ, asking if they could supply the code, as my local dealer can't...
They replied by asking me to supply the VIN, which I did.
Wait and see!

Old 01-04-2024 | 12:30 PM
|
Good idea, and good luck.
FYI - I did find a few locksmiths that would cut from code for $35 to $50

Old 01-13-2024 | 09:35 AM
|
Not being satisfied with my failure to decode my AM lock, I have purchased a Ford Transit Tibbe door lock cylinder and key set ($13 on eBay).
I want to know if i can decode this Ford lock, I should know in about 1 week.
What I am hoping to find out is if AM hardened their Tibbe locks against picking, which would be good news from a security point of view.
More to follow,,,

Old 01-17-2024 | 05:58 PM
|
I just received the Ford Transit Connect Tibbe door lock cylinder and it took me less than 45 seconds to decode/open it.
I can't speak to all years that used the Tibbe style key but for my MY 2013 it seems that the AM locks are a bit more hardened against picking then the off the shelf Ford ones.

Old 01-19-2024 | 02:30 PM
|
Ok, the saga continues.
I just acquired the replacement key from my local AM dealer and i haven't been able to open the door with it.
The key lock cylinder is lubed up now and i can lock the car and i can turn the cylinder to the unlock position and it feels like it (full 1/4 turn)
Trouble is the door itself won't open, the handle is still disengaged. I'm sure ten years of non-use hasn't helped any.
Note - the doors work fine with the ECU key.

Does anyone have any insight as to what needs lubing up next?
Is this going to be a case of pulling off the door cards?

Old 01-19-2024 | 02:43 PM
corveight is infamous around these parts
There is a cable that connects the lock to the latch. Either disconnected or the plastic clips have broke

Old 01-25-2024 | 08:08 PM
|
Thanks, looks like its time to get into the inner door workings.

FYI - i found a local business in Queen Creek, AZ that makes Tibbe keys from your supplied code, he charged me $20 to cut my blank key.
If your not comfortable reading the code from your own key a picture might work plus you'll need to send him a 6 position blank Tibbe key for cutting.
Can be found on the web - Triple-C Motor Accessories

Last edited by AM-DB9.2; 01-26-2024 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-26-2024 | 10:46 AM
Tashakes is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AM-DB9.2
Thanks, looks like its time to get into the inner door workings.

FYI - i found a local business in Queen Creek, AZ that makes Tibbe keys from code, he charged me $20 to cut my blank key.
If your not comfortable reading the code from your key a pic might work plus you'll need to send him a 6 position blank Tibbe key for cutting.
Can be found on the web - Triple-C Motor Accessories
Thanks for the info. I also bought the decoder and could not make it work on my Rapide or Vantage door cylinders, so I will try this vendor to have the metal keys cut. I do have a metal key for the Vantage but not the Rapide, so I will try with the decoder again. I am hoping to program the key to the Vantage once it is cut with the ThinkDiag. I have used it to program the remotes for both cars successfully so I am hopeful for the actual key. Since the Rapide has the ECU, I just want a metal key to have access to the door lock in case the battery dies. Will post results when I have them.

Old 01-26-2024 | 10:58 AM
EJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tashakes
Thanks for the info. I also bought the decoder and could not make it work on my Rapide or Vantage door cylinders, so I will try this vendor to have the metal keys cut. I do have a metal key for the Vantage but not the Rapide, so I will try with the decoder again. I am hoping to program the key to the Vantage once it is cut with the ThinkDiag. I have used it to program the remotes for both cars successfully so I am hopeful for the actual key. Since the Rapide has the ECU, I just want a metal key to have access to the door lock in case the battery dies. Will post results when I have them.
You've been able to program keys for the Rapide using the ThinkDiag? To lock/unlock and start the car?

Old 01-26-2024 | 12:25 PM
Tashakes is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by EJ_Rapide
You've been able to program keys for the Rapide using the ThinkDiag? To lock/unlock and start the car?
No, only the fob part to lock/unlock, not to start (sorry for the confusion). My Rapide came with one ECU (crystal) key in perfect condition and another one in terrible shape. The fob part of the bad key was not working. The bad key did come with the little chip that starts the car. I bought a new spare case on ebay (~$100) without internals and placed the chip in it as well as a new Volvo fob from CLK Supplies (ILC-RSK-VOLVO-5B1 - $64.16). I programmed the fob with ThinkDiag and ended up with a perfect spare. I hope this clarifies it.

The Volvo fob works on the older keys (done on my 06 Vantage) as well as for the ECU (crystal) key (done on my 11 Rapide). I cannot say if the ECU fob part works for newer cars, can't see why not if the fob is a Volvo.
(image borrowed from 62Jeff)

Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2024 | 12:27 PM
Thanks for the explanation!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Emergency Metal Key for DB9 2013