2019+ V8 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2023 | 05:01 PM
|
DR3ADKN0T is infamous around these parts
2019+ V8 Vantage

Hello all,

I have been seriously looking at a 2019 or newer V8 Vantage and I know they are using the AMG 4.0L engine. Does anyone know which model engine that is? Also does anyone have much insight into the reliability of these engines? I am starting to see some around $80k but usually with around 40k miles. I would think with this engine I should be comfortable putting 100k miles on it but would be interested to hear other peoples thoughts.

Any current owners have any suggestions on what to look out for or perhaps what kind of issues you have been seeing with your cars?

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Old 12-16-2023 | 07:42 AM
Boris!2017
I am also looking to add one of the newer Vantages to the stable as well. From everything I have read there does not seem to be any downsides to this Mercedes motor. All indications are that it is pretty robust and reliable for piling on the miles. There are a lot to choose from on the used market right now and from what I am seeing they are not moving that fast, if at all ? From a used car perspective it is a lot of car for the money. I have driven a couple of them recently and I am just waiting to find one in a spec that floats my boat .

Old 12-16-2023 | 08:07 AM
BWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant future
The engine in the Vantage is a version of the MB M177, wet sump 4.0L Bi turbo Hot Vee V8. It is a very well built and bullet proof platform

For two years I owned an AMG GTS with the M178 engine. Same as the M177 only dry sump. I became pretty familiar with this engine and maintenance.

I wouldn't hesitate a purchase of a newer Vantage for any engine related reasons.

Old 12-16-2023 | 01:49 PM
Argus is a jewel in the roughArgus is a jewel in the roughArgus is a jewel in the rough
I also have been considering the newer Vantage. I am glad to hear the engine is worry free. I imagine the transmission is the same. My only concern is the rest of the car. I keep seeing electrical problems crop up. That give me a concern.

Old 12-16-2023 | 01:57 PM
BWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant futureBWings has a brilliant future
If there is a weakness in the engine it's coils. The problem is/was water ingress into the spark plug shafts. Coils would short out BC of that and causing undo replacements. They fixed that with coils that have a collar keeping water out.

At MB, the factory extended warranty on the coils for 15yrs/150,000 miles (if my memory hasn't failed me). Not so with AM from what I see here. Can't verify, but assuming if MB changed the design at some point, then so would be the coils used in newer AMs. Just a guess.

Advice, be careful washing car with the hood vents. Don't flood them. Similar problem on my DB11 V12. You can end up showering the engine if you go gangbusters with a hose. I do have the hood shields on mine which helps some...but not all.

On transmissions, can't say. Could be the same ZF 8 speeds. However, on my AMG GTS I had a 7 speed Getrag DCT.

Old 12-17-2023 | 06:59 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
The engine is the least of your worries.

Old 12-17-2023 | 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
The engine is the least of your worries.
True!

Old 12-17-2023 | 08:51 AM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
would you share more on the hood shields?

Originally Posted by BWings
If there is a weakness in the engine it's coils. The problem is/was water ingress into the spark plug shafts. Coils would short out BC of that and causing undo replacements. They fixed that with coils that have a collar keeping water out.

At MB, the factory extended warranty on the coils for 15yrs/150,000 miles (if my memory hasn't failed me). Not so with AM from what I see here. Can't verify, but assuming if MB changed the design at some point, then so would be the coils used in newer AMs. Just a guess.

Advice, be careful washing car with the hood vents. Don't flood them. Similar problem on my DB11 V12. You can end up showering the engine if you go gangbusters with a hose. I do have the hood shields on mine which helps some...but not all.

On transmissions, can't say. Could be the same ZF 8 speeds. However, on my AMG GTS I had a 7 speed Getrag DCT.

Old 12-17-2023 | 09:11 AM
Hi @Matt(inMA)

Sure - Should have called them vent shields and not hood shields. Also, these are for the DB11, not sure if any are available for the Vantage, or if it is even a problem for them

The shields are these:

They fit on like this on my DB11. Again, might not be available for a Vantage or even a problem, but definitely an issue on the DB11.

They divert rain water and water from hose away from the cylinder heads and tops of coils when washing the car.

EDIT: As I look at the hood vents on the Vantage, probably not a water ingress issue.

Old 12-17-2023 | 09:49 AM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
Super helpful. Thank you. I think the vantages hood vents are far enough to the side that water on the engine might not be an issue

Old 12-21-2023 | 11:01 AM
mbrunner is infamous around these parts
Just saw this post, also been seeing the price on these drop as supply far exceeds demand and all the cars that are coming off those crazy lease deals. There are definitely some hard to pass up pricing on the 30k+ mile examples. Apart from the dated infotainment and possibly some electronic issues that might require dealer visit seems like a helluva bargain in the used car market right now. Full MSRP it wouldn't be on the radar, but seeing the depreciation on the Auto my lust has returned.

I think I need to get out and drive one, anyone own 997 generation 911 and the new AM and offer any comparison? Ideally would hang onto both but not sure I would want to part with a 997 to dip my toes in the AM water for a few years if it doesn't work out.

Old 12-21-2023 | 11:13 AM
khiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mbrunner
Just saw this post, also been seeing the price on these drop as supply far exceeds demand and all the cars that are coming off those crazy lease deals. There are definitely some hard to pass up pricing on the 30k+ mile examples. Apart from the dated infotainment and possibly some electronic issues that might require dealer visit seems like a helluva bargain in the used car market right now. Full MSRP it wouldn't be on the radar, but seeing the depreciation on the Auto my lust has returned.

I think I need to get out and drive one, anyone own 997 generation 911 and the new AM and offer any comparison? Ideally would hang onto both but not sure I would want to part with a 997 to dip my toes in the AM water for a few years if it doesn't work out.
Yes, that is the right answer, just drive one. I came from a 997.2 and a 991.1; there are many things that the 911 does "better" than the Vantage. I will be back in a Porsche one day, I am REALLY enjoying changing my platform for the past 2 years; the 2 pieces of why I made the jump and why my satisfaction has been so high: 1) exclusivity, there is a 911 on every corner where I live 2) sound . . . not even close, stock and even better when I moved to the Velocity AP exhaust

Agree, it's a lot of car for the money, good luck-- KH

Old 12-21-2023 | 12:36 PM
I also owned a 997 ('06 from new) that I let go last year. Amazing car but lacking in outright power. I moved from an Audi RS6 Avant to the Vantage because I love the pleasure of these big nasty V8's but wanted a more committed sports car experience that the RS6 couldn't offer. And as noted above -there are 911's everywhere. A testament to how wonderful they are but still lacking any exclusivity. I've seen only 1 other modern Vantage in the 6 months waiting for my car to be delivered. I have zero regrets (for now ) and love the entire experience.

If you were local I'd get you in it.

Have fun in the search!

Matt

Old 12-21-2023 | 01:04 PM
khiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
I also owned a 997 ('06 from new) that I let go last year. Amazing car but lacking in outright power. I moved from an Audi RS6 Avant to the Vantage because I love the pleasure of these big nasty V8's but wanted a more committed sports car experience that the RS6 couldn't offer. <snip> Have fun in the search!

Matt
Hi Matt, this is interesting to me (maybe this is a different thread), I was cross-shopping an RS6 and a Taycan Cross-Turismo (ended up spending NO money and got a 2019 E-Tron) for my dog car . . . Couldn't justify getting rid of the Vantage, I love it!

Old 12-21-2023 | 01:25 PM
Rjscharer is infamous around these parts
Great car. Just traded my 2020 Coupe for this new Roadster

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2019+ V8 Vantage