Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2011 Rapide Ignition Coil Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 02:24 PM
rapideman is infamous around these parts
2011 Rapide Ignition Coil Question

Greetings everyone,

I'm reaching out to seek some guidance from the group on a car issue. Recently, I took my vehicle to a local shop due to a rough idle, diminished power, and sluggish acceleration. I've used this garage in the past, and they have a good reputation.

The diagnosis indicated a need for 2 ignition coils. However, they are recommending the replacement of all 12 at $345 per coil. Additionally, they have suggested several other services:
  1. Intake manifold gaskets for $700
  2. Intake manifold isolators (14 in total) at $66 each
  3. Labor at $1250 (which seems reasonable)
  4. 12 spark plugs at $75 each
The proposal raises some concerns. Is it really necessary to replace all 12 coils, and does the cost of $900 for spark plugs seem reasonable? I'm leaning towards replacing only the 2 coils causing the issue. Am I overlooking something, or is this a reasonable approach? Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Todd

Old 02-07-2024, 02:34 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
My local dealer says they do the side that has the faults first to save money.

Old 02-07-2024, 04:36 PM
yvr
yvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond repute
Here's an overview of the work involved and the parts needed... https://aston1936.com/2016/08/08/how...on-martin-db9/

The thing is, if you replace only the two failing coils it's still a lot of labor, and you still need at least one intake manifold gasket and some other parts. Then if another coil goes bad in a month or two, you have to do the same work over again and yet another intake manifold gasket. And so on.

It does seem as if your dealer isn't shy about markup on parts.

Old 02-07-2024, 04:57 PM
UltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of light
YIKES! Do they offer you a cigarette after that quote?

List price for the gaskets is $500, online at $345 (ScuderiaParts), ebay about 1/2 that.

Don't need to replace the isolators, but they are about $25/ea ,

Spark Plugs are sold in NA through Aston Martin only, which sucks. $40/ea from the dealer ( 5R13-12405-BA-PK for a 4pack) , but you can buy them in the UK for $12/ea.

Coils are typically pricy... $175 each (scuderiacarparts), aftermarket is about $500 for the 12pack

You can read about my experience doing this job here: (albeit on a newer version of the engine with slightly different updated coils)
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...xperience.html

The $ value of DIY is obviously NOT comparable, but perhaps the other side of extreme pricing... I did that job myself and it cost me $761 in parts. You're in at almost $8,000 for that same job, more than $6,500 of it is parts.

So I'd suggest find a 'local' shop that doesn't take your wallet for granted. The only thing I agree with you, is that the labor rate isn't bad!

And I would agree with the others, that if 2 coils fail, the rest are going to do the same soon as well. So replace them all.

Last edited by UltraMarine; 02-07-2024 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:37 AM
Thank you for all of the help and answers. The AM coils are $343 each. Are the aftermarket coils just as good? I see they are literally 1/4 of the price. Anybody know of a good AM< garage in the Fort Lauderdale Florida area??

Thank you very much

Old 02-08-2024, 08:41 AM
UltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of light
I've read positive feedback from people using the DMCoil brand coil packs having no issue.

At $350 for the 12pack on Amazon, they are 1/12 of the price quoted to you!

Old 02-08-2024, 08:58 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UltraMarine
I've read positive feedback from people using the DMCoil brand coil packs having no issue.

At $350 for the 12pack on Amazon, they are 1/12 of the price quoted to you!
You'll need to find an Indy if want to install aftermarket coil packs. Dealer won't do it.

Old 02-10-2024, 06:05 PM
MikeD is infamous around these parts
Late to the party, but I thought I'd add a South Florida data point. I had this same service completed two years ago on my DBS with OEM parts in Naples at F1 Imports and Exotics, together with an annual service and an a/c repair. The tally was $4800. Eric, the owner, is recognized nationwide for Ferrari service (which is why I first went there) and he's the Aston tech, as well. They deliver premium service at what I think is a fair price (which sounds super fair compared to what you've been quoted). Spend a couple days in Naples at the Ritz on the beach and you'll still come out way ahead.

Old 02-12-2024, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by MikeD
Late to the party, but I thought I'd add a South Florida data point. I had this same service completed two years ago on my DBS with OEM parts in Naples at F1 Imports and Exotics, together with an annual service and an a/c repair. The tally was $4800. Eric, the owner, is recognized nationwide for Ferrari service (which is why I first went there) and he's the Aston tech, as well. They deliver premium service at what I think is a fair price (which sounds super fair compared to what you've been quoted). Spend a couple days in Naples at the Ritz on the beach and you'll still come out way ahead.

You are never late to a party! You arrive exactly when you are supposed to.

I love the idea of heading to Naples but I am too scared to drive the car over a prolonged period of time. I have actually ordered the parts from Scuderia at almost 1/3 of the cost of the local dealership. The garage has agreed to use the parts that I have purchased. The repair for 12 coils has gone from $9200 to around $4700 including labor...which is much more palatable.

Old 02-12-2024, 03:28 PM
That's great news. A bit of online shopping on your end saved you big.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:13 PM
MikeD is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rapideman
You are never late to a party! You arrive exactly when you are supposed to.

I love the idea of heading to Naples but I am too scared to drive the car over a prolonged period of time. I have actually ordered the parts from Scuderia at almost 1/3 of the cost of the local dealership. The garage has agreed to use the parts that I have purchased. The repair for 12 coils has gone from $9200 to around $4700 including labor...which is much more palatable.
Excellent news. Your Aston will be full of fire again soon!

Old 07-07-2024, 06:19 PM
GB DB9 is infamous around these parts
This reply is probably too late to be helpful, however I purchased coils from Amazon DMCOILS $350 for twelve for my 2011 DB9 with 24k on the clock, in addition NGK sparks plugs #ITR6F-13 $12.76 each, gaskets from Scuderia or dealer, the car has been running silky smooth with no missfire detected.
My reasoning for the coil purchase was not financial but more curiosity driven, the Aston dealer packaging had made in China on the label.......!!!! so if the OEM coils only lasted for 24k why not purchase cheaper aftermarket ones.

Old Today, 07:09 AM
viglaman is infamous around these parts
Hello all,

I installed DMCoil 3-pin coil packs and NGK Spark Plugs SITR7A11G (94949) on my 06/2008 470bhp DB9 beginning of August 2024. So far so good and runs silky smooth, even with one of my injectors being 10-15% down (discovered during ultrasonic cleaning – will need to replace).

The coil packs are very sturdy and good quality. Having the OEM ones out of the car now, I can see the DMCoil ones are very well made clearly. Proceed with peace of mind!

Btw if anybody wants 11 good OEM coil packs with 37k miles on them and equivalent original spark plugs, please give me a shout. Can post from the UK or from Greece and we can work out a price.