Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

I need a new clutch - original one is bad- 2010 V8V

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 05:17 AM
sweet991S
I need a new clutch - original one is bad- 2010 V8V

Happy Monday! I got the car 2 wks ago and from day 1 suspected it was going, and yesterday it really demonstrated CLEARLY that fact. I have a 6 speed manual (u know, with the 3rd pedal) and it would barely move up the slight incline. I guess, when you buy a 14 yo car and have the original clutch in it, these (very costly) things are bound to occur.
I understand that I have to locate an indy shop that has the Aston's AMDS to reprogram the engine after completing the work. Any other advice that I need? My intent is to have them install a VelocityAP Twin Plate Clutch-----> https://shop.redpants.lol/product/velocityap-twin-plate-clutch-package/ as RedPants LOL lists them on their website and I trust Richard (yup, he's in Japan) to list a good one. What sort of costs should I plan on?
Besides the cost of the flatbed to carry the car to the shop! TIA

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 02-26-2024 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:09 AM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
I would talk to SteelWings in PA. They are a VAP dealer and can do the install as well as any shop you are likely to find.

Old 02-26-2024, 11:13 AM
sweet991S
Originally Posted by Hedged
I would talk to SteelWings in PA. They are a VAP dealer and can do the install as well as any shop you are likely to find.
I did call them but no response back. They are 200 miles away and would be like 800 bucks to 'rollback' the car up to Bucks Cty, PA. Loco Exotics in the next county over in VA can do the work. And, as I found out today (take note you "Dealer Lovers" out there -LoL), they will charge me about 6k. The area AM guys wanted 12K........for a clutch (apparently it's Gold Plated).....Thanks for the tip.

Old 02-26-2024, 03:16 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
That's for the complete job, they supply the clutch pack, or you? Because $6k without them supplying the clutch is still highway robbery.
The reason your Stealer is so high is because it's DC, they're the biggest rip in the country.
A clutch is, by the book, 9 hours. On older cars they add a couple hours for possible broken and stuck bolts. When Summit installed my VAP it was $2000 for the labor, I supplied the clutch.

Old 02-26-2024, 04:47 PM
sweet991S
They supply the Velocity clutch. Greatly appreciate your remarks and insights HO. Did not know what the book sez IRT number of hours (9). That really helps me assess the Estimate and sort of think about the overall investment. BLUF - I checked w/ both the area Stealership (12K - are you Fookin Kidding me?) and Steel Wings and the the place I found, 26 miles away, provides the best option w/ expert service. And their estimate includes the clutch! Done and done.
Thanks again HO.

Old 02-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Sorry to hear that! I hope it hasn't put too much of a damper on your excitement for the car. The Velocity clutch is very well-regarded. If you have any interest in using an OEM clutch, it might be worth getting a price for Aston's own twin-plate clutch. No personal knowledge, but I've been told they may be fairly close in price.

Old 02-27-2024, 04:35 AM
sweet991S
Thanks - I am excited about the new clutch and folks who know, say the new Velocity will be alot lighter and more fun......the steallership wanted DOUBLE what my area exotic repair place (Loco Exotics) wanted. TWICE.
My automotive ardor for the car has NOT cooled one iota~ Thanks all for your advice & input.

Old 02-27-2024, 08:28 AM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Just to be clear, I'm talking about the twin-plate OEM clutch from Aston, not the original single-plate that the cars were built with. If (and I do mean if) the price for that is similar to the Velocity item, then it might be worth considering, assuming Loco Exotics would install it. And yes, some dealers (not all) are out of their minds. Glad to hear this hasn't spoiled the party!

Old 02-27-2024, 08:49 AM
Dax88 is infamous around these parts
I had my clutch (4.7 manual) changed by my friend who is a Porsche Indy in the UK. New flywheel and clutch fitted. These were stock Aston parts from Scuderia car parts in the UK (you can haggle on prices btw). No reprogramming of any kind was required. The most problematic thing was for his team to work out how to disassemble the car to get to the clutch. I gave him a copy of the Aston workshop manual (found online) and all became clear. He’d never worked on an Aston before but said that any experienced quality mechanic should be able to change it.

Old 02-27-2024, 12:53 PM
sweet991S
Good info - thanks!!