Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Santa Fe Area AM Service??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2024, 06:28 PM
SeanMTX is infamous around these parts
Santa Fe Area AM Service??

I just picked up a Launch Edition V12 DB11 and would love a reputable place in the Santa Fe area to service it. (First step...AMR tune!)

Anyone in the area have any recommendations? Right now it looks like the closest dealer is in Scottsdale, AZ.

Thank you!

Old 06-13-2024, 07:05 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Hi @SeanMTX

I lived in the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area for almost 20 years. It's a strikingly beautiful place, especially Santa Fe, but unfortunately, it is at the end of the road for exotics and cars like yours.

My hunch is you're going to have to get the car to either Scottsdale or maybe Denver which is about the same distance. Especially if you're looking for the factory AMR flash. One way or another, it is going to take a big commit on your part for the tune. Hopefully the 30 some extra HP and the cost will be worth the effort for you.

I lived in both Denver and Scottsdale as well. If you decide to do Scottsdale I can at least give you some good places to dine, etc. Maybe you can pull off a long weekend, get the tune, and drive it there to/from. It's a nice drive either HWYs 40/17, or 25/10. Lots of open roads to get a good feel for the car. Then again, the drive straight up 25 to Denver is pretty spectacular too.

All the Best,

Old 06-13-2024, 07:40 AM
@BWings Thank you for the response...it is as I feared.

I'm about 45 minutes outside of Santa Fe in the Jemez Mountains, which is a perfect area to carve in one of these, however the V12 would take a little more love and care than the V8V I've had.
Scottsdale isn't too bad, it's about a 7 hour drive. Looks like that will be my main hub. I appreciate your insight on that.

You mention a 'big commit' on my side for the AMR tune...why do you say it that way? I would expect it to be a relatively simple flash, cost me about $1000 and be minimal from a commitment perspective. I'm looking for both extra power and more noise from the backside, without going to one of the heavier tunes like VelocityAP. (I don't need 750+bhp)

Again, appreciate your insight...looks like you've got a DB11 in your profile pic!

Old 06-13-2024, 09:17 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SeanMTX
@BWings Thank you for the response...it is as I feared.

I'm about 45 minutes outside of Santa Fe in the Jemez Mountains, which is a perfect area to carve in one of these, however the V12 would take a little more love and care than the V8V I've had.
Scottsdale isn't too bad, it's about a 7 hour drive. Looks like that will be my main hub. I appreciate your insight on that.

You mention a 'big commit' on my side for the AMR tune...why do you say it that way? I would expect it to be a relatively simple flash, cost me about $1000 and be minimal from a commitment perspective. I'm looking for both extra power and more noise from the backside, without going to one of the heavier tunes like VelocityAP. (I don't need 750+bhp)

Again, appreciate your insight...looks like you've got a DB11 in your profile pic!

Hi again @SeanMTX

I described it as a big commit, half BC of the distance/inconvenience you have to bear; however, if you're creative, you can make a fun time of it too. And Scottsdale is not too shabby. The Aston dealer is located in the same complex as a small car exhibit/museum. Also, if you plan it to land on a Weekend where the first saturday of the month is part of the WE, there is a GIANT cars and coffee (usually 600 +- cars) that morning, just minutes from the dealership

https://www.highline-autos.com/events/category/auto-show/

(Not sure if I can post a link on this site and it might get taken down. If so, just google Cars and Coffee on High Street)

I used to display my Bentley here, my AMG GTS and my C6 Corvette. Well Worth it!

The second half of the big commit comment is cost. I've heard the cost was more like $1700/$1800. Probably be good to get it quoted first.

Keep posting if you do it! Would like to hear about the journey and your "take" on the upgrade.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-16-2024 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-16-2024, 02:46 PM
Phil_rae is infamous around these parts
Welcome to Aston ownership in the Jemez. I have had a 2015 V8V in Northern NM for a few years now, although I do think about a V8 DB11 every so often so I get the benefit of the biturbo at 7200ft.

In response to your question, either Denver or Scottsdale are your only option for dealers. I have used British Automotive Repair also in Scottsdale since they are a VelocityAP dealer and see a fair number of Aston’s. I have never asked if they have invested in the AMS2 software for the post 2017 cars. It is very expensive as I understand and so hard to get a return on investment. They are a good, but busy, shop and our cars would be amongst the cheapest on the ramps.

The drive to Scottsdale does have to involve a hack along the rutted farm track that is I40, but once you turn off to cut the corner the end drop in to Scottsdale down the banked 2 lane in each direction is epic.

Let me know if you want to meet up to BS about cars.

Philip

Old 06-16-2024, 04:54 PM
British Automotive Repair is a good place. Greg (owner) was a master mechanic at Jaguar before he went on his own. He has done some work on Jaguars for me albeit quite a lot of years ago.

I think it would be a long shot if he has access to the AMR tune files, but maybe worth a call.

Old 06-18-2024, 08:41 AM
Thank you to all the responses.

I'll be picking up the DB in LA and driving it back to NM. Along the way, I've got an appointment at Scottsdale AM to have the AMR tune installed and the oil changed. We'll see how that goes and it looks like British Automotive Repair is very close to the dealer. I'll have two options there to work with.

Appreciate the insights.

Old 06-18-2024, 09:08 AM
Thank you to all the responses.

I'll be picking up the DB in LA and driving it back to NM. Along the way, I've got an appointment at Scottsdale AM to have the AMR tune installed and the oil changed. We'll see how that goes and it looks like British Automotive Repair is very close to the dealer. I'll have two options there to work with.

Appreciate the insights.
Wow...works out perfectly! Hope you keep us updated with your road trip!

I've done that drive a number of times. In fact, LA to ABQ.

Old 06-29-2024, 02:52 PM
@BWings @Phil_rae

I ended up going to Scottsdale AM and they were outstanding. Got the tune installed and an oil change. The car threw a fault code on the way home, and the AM dealer said it likely was something very minor given it's running in top shape. Now I just need to find a scanner to tell me what code it is.

The drive from Scottsdale up to the 40 is outstanding. Especially the canyon carving on 87. 260 isn't bad, but 87 is a blast. Highly recommend both the dealer and the drive if anyone is in the area.

Thank you all for the advice and the support. It made a big difference.

Old 06-29-2024, 03:03 PM
@BWings @Phil_rae

I ended up going to Scottsdale AM and they were outstanding. Got the tune installed and an oil change. The car threw a fault code on the way home, and the AM dealer said it likely was something very minor given it's running in top shape. Now I just need to find a scanner to tell me what code it is.

The drive from Scottsdale up to the 40 is outstanding. Especially the canyon carving on 87. 260 isn't bad, but 87 is a blast. Highly recommend both the dealer and the drive if anyone is in the area.

Thank you all for the advice and the support. It made a big difference.
Hi @SeanMTX

Sounds like all good news...happy for you!

On the "fault" is it a check engine light (CEL)? If so, any code reader can read it. CELs produce P-codes. If you get it read, please post it here. If you don't have a scan tool, take it to pretty much any parts store. They'll read it for you.

Autozone
O'Reilys
Advance Auto
etc.

I have a few scan tools. One of my Autels is my goto and it will read (and erase, when the problem is solved) any powertrain code.

I've done those drives. Yes, a blast in a car that can handle it.

Best,

Old 06-29-2024, 03:15 PM
@BWings Correct...it's the amber engine logo in the upper left of the instrument panel. When I spoke with AM, they said it could be anything from the charcoal filter to an engine issue. The light is not blinking and there's no obvious issue with the running of the engine.
I was concerned at first as part of the tune was to remap the firing of the cylinders.

I'll scan and report back.

Old 06-29-2024, 03:20 PM
SeanMTX, I have the Foxwell AM reader, I am not sure if it will read the AMG engines, but if it does it could provide greater detail. Try the generic reader first and if things are still unclear it may help.

Old 06-29-2024, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Phil_rae
SeanMTX, I have the Foxwell AM reader, I am not sure if it will read the AMG engines, but if it does it could provide greater detail. Try the generic reader first and if things are still unclear it may help.
Hi Phil...I'm running a V12. Unfortunately, that's not an MB engine.

I'll run the test here later this weekend and let you guys know what I find out.

Thanks!

Old 06-29-2024, 03:37 PM
Yes, I did a little checking and my reader stops at around the DB11 release date, however, the V12 is an AM engine and so it might have an ECU that is similar enough. It appears that many people can read the V8 AMG engines in the DB11 with MB enabled readers, but that is not much help to you.

Old 06-30-2024, 04:50 AM
Yes, the DB11 V12 is on its own platform and different than the V8 which is all MB. My Autel MX808 is a deep scan tool and will interrogate all modules on almost any car EXCEPT the DB11 V12. This is AM exclusive. At least every creative option I've tried using other cars - MB, Volvo, etc., just causes the scan tool to crash.

However - with Check engine lights (CELs), these are also known as emissions codes, and all manufacturers (worldwide) must use the standard SAE protocols, and their EMSs must be able to be read without any special diagnostics. If I get a check engine light in my DB11, I don't bother with the Autel MX808 and simply read the P-code(s) with a cheap $49 Autel scan tool. In fact, I keep one in each of my cars' glove box.

This is a sample of a deep scan I did on an AMG GTS. All 39 modules are reporting and can do the same on the DB11 if it was a V8. The first two items (1 and 2) are where the powertrain codes (p-codes) would appear if there were any.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Santa Fe Area AM Service??