Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Passenger Seat will not re-calibrate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 09:24 AM
jbuffa is infamous around these parts
Passenger Seat will not re-calibrate

I have a 2015 Vantage GT and the passenger seat bottom will not move the the furthest rearward position. It stops about 5-6" from "all the way back". I've tried to go through the seat re calibration at least 20 times over the past few months with no luck. I disconnected the batter over night a few times with no result. I took it to an independent mechanic and the Aston Martin dealer with no luck. The seat cannot be removed because the front bolts are not accessible as the seat wont move back enough to expose them. So I'm attempting a new approach. When I look under the front of the seat, I believe I can get to both torx screws holding what I think is the motor to the gear/adjustment rod assembly (see photo). Does anyone know if this will release the seat so I can move it back? I took this photo from a previous thread but looks just like what I can see with my seat.

Old 07-05-2024, 01:42 PM
dpath is infamous around these parts
I have a similar problem with my passenger seat. It’s stuck in the full forward position. I too have tried resetting it a few times to no avail. I’ve also tried unbolting the seat motor but that didn’t solve the problem. I’ll be taking it to the dealer next month for its annual maintenance and will see what they can do to fix it. In the meantime, let us know if you come across a solution.

Old 07-13-2024, 08:35 AM
I'll let you know. I have it at an Independent shop in Atlanta now. I took it to the dealer here also and they had it for a month then told me I needed a complete new seat, so they basically gave up on the issue.

Old 07-13-2024, 06:43 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Possible help from earlier thread

Have you tried to access the four bolts discussed in post #4, referenced below, to remove the upper seat assembly from the sub-frame?
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/435348-how-remove-stuck-seat.htm
Might give you access?
As an aside, how can the dealer install a new seat if they can't access the bolts in question? I think you are correct in your assumption...

Old 07-13-2024, 07:48 PM
That's great info. I'll pass it on the the Mechanic on Monday. Thank you!

Old 07-18-2024, 11:30 AM
dpath is infamous around these parts
FYI, I found that the 2 screws on the seat motor only remove the motor’s cover. The good news is that the motor’s armature can be manually rotated to move the seat fore and aft. It took me several minutes of turning the armature (counterclockwise) to move the seat rearward enough to expose the front bolts holding the seat to the car. In my case, it looks like the motor may have failed. It’s a Bosch item but I don’t know if it’s available as a separate part.

Old 07-18-2024, 12:52 PM
That's great, thanks for the info! I'm picking my car up Monday and I will try your procedure.

Old 07-19-2024, 01:15 PM
EJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond repute
Once the seat is removed, do you have access to the bolts that secure the seating part on the seat frame?
I feel like my seat is slightly moving back and forth when I brake and want to look at it...
Thanks.

Old 08-01-2024, 02:01 PM
Looks like I solved the mystery of my seat not traveling the full distance back. I used a small inspection camera down each rail and I could see the plastic track on the door side was twisted out of its housing on the seat rail. The other side is straight as an arrow. Unfortunately I haven't come up with a solution. I could get a long flat head screwdriver in there but really nothing I could accomplish other than seeing the plastic track kind of loose in there. I'm at a bit of a loss.

Seat cannot be removed as it will not travel back far enough to reveal the front mounting bolts. This is the passenger seat with no height adjustment

Old 08-01-2024, 04:03 PM
SloMoShun is infamous around these partsSloMoShun is infamous around these parts
Can the seat be disassembled while on the tracks? Wondering if the lower cushion can be removed enough to access the mounting bolts”

Another thought—I’ve owned a number of cars in which the seat mounting bolts were through bolts, with the treaded end accessible from the bottom side of the floor pan. So unbolt the seats from down below. You’d likely need an easy-out or similar bolt extractor. Total PIA but it might be your only option.

Last edited by SloMoShun; 08-01-2024 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-01-2024, 04:16 PM
Bolts don't go through to the bottom. But yes, I'm looking into having an upholstery shop remove the leather and foam so I can access from the top.
My other thought was a side cutting bit to try and dislodge the plastic rail and use a vacuum and straw to remove the debris.